Someone Gave Me A Fg Pool.....

plshelpme

:unsure: What a thrill until.... Now that I have this 12 x 24 kidney shaped fiberglass pool shell sitting in my backyard I have to figure out how to get it in the ground as economically as possible. I have started getting quotes and am surprised at the cost. I really need to find out what a reasonable price would be for everything besides the shell to get the pool up and running. Just the basics for now... I've got the health permit and the building permit and I plan to do all the landscaping, etc. later on. I live in LaGrange Ga and the quotes are all over the place.
  1. Can anyone give me an idea of what this should cost?
  2. What are the 10 things I must know?
  3. How can I get an orange stain caused by stagnant water and pine straw out of the shell?
Thanks so much for your help.

• 2 months later...

:unsure: What a thrill until.... Now that I have this 12 x 24 kidney shaped fiberglass pool shell sitting in my backyard I have to figure out how to get it in the ground as economically as possible. I have started getting quotes and am surprised at the cost. I really need to find out what a reasonable price would be for everything besides the shell to get the pool up and running. Just the basics for now... I've got the health permit and the building permit and I plan to do all the landscaping, etc. later on. I live in LaGrange Ga and the quotes are all over the place.

3. How can I get an orange stain caused by stagnant water and pine straw out of the shell?

For the stain try LCR cleaner, it won't harm the gelcoat.

I see that this original posting is a couple of months old so you may or may not already have the pool installed- if so, I hope it is working out. If it hasn't been yet, I can tell you some of what you need to look for.

First of all, if you don't have one you will need dig plan. All that is is a detailed drawing as to the exact depth measurements at given distances; this allows you or whoever is installing it to dig the pool hole to the exact specs so the pool can fit. A pools height in respect to its surroundings (ie. deck) must be considered also. Building code requirements stipulate that a perimeter deck surrounding a pool is built so that water sheds from the pool to the outside. Typically a deck can have no more than a 1/2" fall per running foot of distance, and no less than an 1/8". Depending on the soil that is encountered (namely rock as compared to sand)- you will have to overdig the depth by at least 6 inches and refill to grade with good clean sand.

Once the hole is prepared and the pool is placed in it (typically by a crane) it needs to be leveled with bottle jacks . At this point, as the piping is attached and the water is filling the pool,- the bottom should be checked for hollows and filled by washing sand in and underneath. Just as important, ALL backfill should be washed in and I do mean ALL- for proper compaction. The sand in reference to the water inside should be filled equally.

Once a pool is backfilled, then you can add your deck and accessories. pump, etc.

I hope that this is helpful to you. Being as though I am a Florida Contractor, I don't know what the cost of living is up there. My only point of advice is ask each individual that you got a quote from to describe exactly what they will do verbatum and why- my experience has been that you can get a good feel as to what someone actually knows as compared to a sales pitch by just chatting a few minutes with them. You will probably find that the one who knows his or her field isn't the cheapest bid you have.

Good luck in your quest.

I see that this original posting is a couple of months old so you may or may not already have the pool installed- if so, I hope it is working out. If it hasn't been yet, I can tell you some of what you need to look for.

First of all, if you don't have one you will need dig plan. All that is is a detailed drawing as to the exact depth measurements at given distances; this allows you or whoever is installing it to dig the pool hole to the exact specs so the pool can fit. A pools height in respect to its surroundings (ie. deck) must be considered also. Building code requirements stipulate that a perimeter deck surrounding a pool is built so that water sheds from the pool to the outside. Typically a deck can have no more than a 1/2" fall per running foot of distance, and no less than an 1/8". Depending on the soil that is encountered (namely rock as compared to sand)- you will have to overdig the depth by at least 6 inches and refill to grade with good clean sand.

Once the hole is prepared and the pool is placed in it (typically by a crane) it needs to be leveled with bottle jacks . At this point, as the piping is attached and the water is filling the pool,- the bottom should be checked for hollows and filled by washing sand in and underneath. Just as important, ALL backfill should be washed in and I do mean ALL- for proper compaction. The sand in reference to the water inside should be filled equally.

Once a pool is backfilled, then you can add your deck and accessories. pump, etc.

I hope that this is helpful to you. Being as though I am a Florida Contractor, I don't know what the cost of living is up there. My only point of advice is ask each individual that you got a quote from to describe exactly what they will do verbatum and why- my experience has been that you can get a good feel as to what someone actually knows as compared to a sales pitch by just chatting a few minutes with them. You will probably find that the one who knows his or her field isn't the cheapest bid you have.

Good luck in your quest.

Thanks for responding. I have had very little luck getting information. Dig plan was aquired and I now have someone to dig the hole for me. I have been given quotes up to $10,500 even though I already have the pool and when I asked for a detailed breakdown of the quote I never heard from them again. When I questioned one contractor as to why we would need 300 feet of 1 1/2 pipe on a 24 ft. pool, he never returned my call. The pool is still sitting in my backyard and a brand new skimmer is in my living room. I found a 3 month old filter and sand pump for $250 that I'm told is the right size for my pool. I have done some research and have read about installing sump pump piping under the pool. Some say it's a waste of money, others have told me horror stories of a hard rain during installation causing the pool to rise out of the ground and having to remove it and start over. Your thoughts? thanks

Thanks for responding. I have had very little luck getting information. Dig plan was aquired and I now have someone to dig the hole for me. I have been given quotes up to $10,500 even though I already have the pool and when I asked for a detailed breakdown of the quote I never heard from them again. When I questioned one contractor as to why we would need 300 feet of 1 1/2 pipe on a 24 ft. pool, he never returned my call. The pool is still sitting in my backyard and a brand new skimmer is in my living room. I found a 3 month old filter and sand pump for $250 that I'm told is the right size for my pool. I have done some research and have read about installing sump pump piping under the pool. Some say it's a waste of money, others have told me horror stories of a hard rain during installation causing the pool to rise out of the ground and having to remove it and start over. Your thoughts? thanks

The quote of $10,500 that you had mentioned sounds a little high to me, but as you said I don't know what that bid had included. I would think that a more resonable figure would be around 7000

to $8000. ( Bear in mind I am going by pricing in my neck of the woods). Of that

pricing, it should include digging the hole, installing the pool, backfilling it properly, and the pool pump

filter, fittings and necessary piping to make it run properly. Concrete would be extra, and around here it runs about $115 a cubic yard, with an average of about 8 yards for that pool.

The piping issue raised in your reply brings up my next topic. Usually depending on the contractor,

they use separate lines for each thing attached to the pool; so, if you want your pool equipement

lets say 20 feet away from your pool deck- you multiply that figure by three

to account for one drain line, one skimmer line and one retun line. It's nothing

on an average install to use 300 feet of pipe easily. Typically I use a two inch suction line and an inch and a half return line.

Now, to your last point of concern, regarding a sump line and a sump pit. In my area

we have lots and lots and lots of sand, so I typically use well points instead of a sump

pit. If the installing contractor has things well in hand, there is a dedicated pump running just for that during the pool installation. This pump is not a guarantee that the pool will not float in a hard rain.

It is usually also a good point of valor to consider a hydrostatic relief valve in the pool itself.

Well, if I ended up writing you half a book in my reply I do apologize.