Used Sundance Optima...opinions? Warranty?

Owner says it was purchased two years ago...so that makes it a 2006...maybe a 2005 at worst. He's asking $4500 obo for it, and it's currently wet and ready to test (and it's got the stereo option). I've got a few questions and I'd really appreciate your input on any/all of them.

1) Whats a good price for this tub? And how dependent is this price on the year model it is...05 vs 06.

2) How can I tell what year it is? Should I tell him to check something?

3) Biggest question, will the warranty transfer to me? Is there some warranty transfer paperwork to fill out? A fee to pay?

Anything else I should be thinking about when considering this tub? Any certain things I should check to make sure they work? What all should I look at when I go look at the tub? I was considering a 08 Majestic from the dealer for $8400 (has been wet for a few months) but I'd rather get one a couple years old for half the price :)

Thanks everyone!!!

Owner says it was purchased two years ago...so that makes it a 2006...maybe a 2005 at worst. He's asking $4500 obo for it, and it's currently wet and ready to test (and it's got the stereo option). I've got a few questions and I'd really appreciate your input on any/all of them.

1) Whats a good price for this tub? And how dependent is this price on the year model it is...05 vs 06.

3) Biggest question, will the warranty transfer to me? Is there some warranty transfer paperwork to fill out? A fee to pay?

Anything else I should be thinking about when considering this tub? Any certain things I should check to make sure they work? What all should I look at when I go look at the tub? I was considering a 08 Majestic from the dealer for $8400 (has been wet for a few months) but I'd rather get one a couple years old for half the price :)

Thanks everyone!!!

1) A dealer who was reselling by offering a 60 day warranty and the peace of mind knowing it was looked over and certified as ready for sale might get $4500 for it but not Joe spa owner. That's too high IMO but I can't comfortably give a better estimate.

2) Post the serial number and someone can probably tell you the year.

3) 100% NOT transferrable (even though the owner may assume it is). This is not debatable.

1) A dealer who was reselling by offering a 60 day warranty and the peace of mind knowing it was looked over and certified as ready for sale might get $4500 for it but not Joe spa owner. That's too high IMO but I can't comfortably give a better estimate.

2) Post the serial number and someone can probably tell you the year.

3) 100% NOT transferrable (even though the owner may assume it is). This is not debatable.

I was thinking there were two things adding to it's value

1) Stereo option (assuming everything works ok)

2) Looks like its been on a covered porch...which I would think helps with the cover/cabinet

I'll try to get the serial number (if I can get him to send it). That's too bad that the warranty never transfers. Is it the moving of the hot tub that voids the warranty or the transfer of ownership?

What does everyone else think about the price? He did say obo so I might have a little room. I'm going to check it out on Sunday so I want to make sure I'm fully prepared to put in an offer/deposit if we can agree on a price and I like it.

Thanks and please keep the info coming!

Thanks everyone!!!

Not transferable due to change in ownership. I'm with spatech on this one. I also believe thats to high. I Sell Sundance in Ohio and if that tub is possibly from 05' I would only offer 3000-3500. Its still hard investing $4500 on a spa with no warranty. Sundance is a great tub and we have very few service issues with them but if something major happens it could be costly. For $3000 a big service fee might not hurt as bad..

Not transferable due to change in ownership. I'm with spatech on this one. I also believe thats to high. I Sell Sundance in Ohio and if that tub is possibly from 05' I would only offer 3000-3500. Its still hard investing $4500 on a spa with no warranty. Sundance is a great tub and we have very few service issues with them but if something major happens it could be costly. For $3000 a big service fee might not hurt as bad..

Ok so if it's an 05, 3000-3500 would be appropriate...and if it's an 06 maybe as high as 4000 if everything is perfect?

What all should I look for? I'll open the panel, look for leaks...maybe look behind a couple jets and look for white build up...what else?

Thanks!

I would never pay more for a used spa then what a average new spa goes for that is three possibly four years old! I would offer perhaps $2000.00 max as you assume all the risk and responsiblity, YOU ARE YOUR OWN WARRANTY if and when the tub fails. I would imagine that a pump and wet end cost over $1000.00 alone.

I bet the spa topside control may be $500 to $700.00.

If only those two items failed in the next 36 months, then you actually paid $5500.00 for a now 6 to 7 year old spa!

Check craigslist and also papers to get a idea what they go for.

ok so he says he has the serial number...I'm just waiting on him to send it to me.

he says it's a 2006...so assuming everything is good on it...a max of $4000 or is that still too high?

That's a good solid tub, 3 years old. I would say your close but 35 would be better.

I just bought a 2005 Sundance Cayman model for $1,100. It was up and running, and I checked the original paperwork and examined the equipment for rust, wear, etc. It was literally in perfect condition. Of course I had been checking Craigs List daily, and often more often, for at least two months before this one came along. I bought it within 3 hours of it being posted. Bottom line is, I see a LOT of spas out there and I notice that they get re-listed again and again with lower prices. I suggest you take your time, make sure you see it running, check the original paperwork and maintenance history, and wait for a deal. My Cayman doesn't have the CD or the exterior lights or anything fancy, but then again I didn't want it.

ok so he says he has the serial number...I'm just waiting on him to send it to me.

he says it's a 2006...so assuming everything is good on it...a max of $4000 or is that still too high?

That's a good solid tub, 3 years old. I would say your close but 35 would be better.

I wouldn't go over 3500 personally but its not an exact science and if it seems like the best spa for you then get it.

I wouldn't go over 3500 personally but its not an exact science and if it seems like the best spa for you then get it.

Do NOT pay $3500.00 for a spa when there are plenty of good spas for at least $1000.00 less! The economy is bad for spas right now and if you have the cash, a great deal can be found. Where are you located at? Check the Craigslist listing near you and save your money. This spa you are looking at is a depreciatting asset and in this econonmy, it is even less.

here is a couple of craigslist posting where I am at:

2007 Sundance Hot tub - $2500 (Buckley)

2005 Clearwater Hot Tub for sale - 7x7 Clearwater Spa - $1500 (Duvall)

2006 Caldera with warranty 2 Hot - Great Deal - $2500 (Issaquah)

Do NOT pay $3500.00 for a spa when there are plenty of good spas for at least $1000.00 less! The economy is bad for spas right now and if you have the cash, a great deal can be found. Where are you located at? Check the Craigslist listing near you and save your money. This spa you are looking at is a depreciatting asset and in this econonmy, it is even less.

wow what type of Sundance is the 2007?

Make sure you mke a good comparision. The 2500 dollar tubs above may be allot less tub. The optima is one of there higher end tubs with allot of jets and extras.

As it is Sunday and you are likely already on your way this is a bit late ...

I just bought a used 2004 Sundance Capri (purchased by them in 2005) for $1200.

I LOVE it ! I have been in other tubs and always found the jets not powerful enough for my taste - on the Sundance tub I have to actually turn them down!

I would check to see that the jets that are supposed to adjust DO. I have one that I can not open and a couple others that are sticky, but I assume that isn't a huge deal and haven't bothered to deal with it yet.

It does need new headrests.

Enjoy.

linda

ok so here are my two options

1) 2006 Sundance Optima with Radio (love), no warranty of course but it works fine now. Comes with cover and steps. . The water was pretty gross though and I get the feeling he didn't take the greatest care of it (mineral cartridge was kinda gross, filter looked ok). Should be able to get it for $3800ish, + $500 to move, + $150 for headrests and filter + $4500ish

2) 2008 Sundance Majesta (no radio), floor model from dealer, has been wet for a number of months but comes with the full warranty. Comes with cover, steps and starter chemicals. Should be able to get it for $8000ish, + $550 tax = $8500ish delivered.

So a $4k savings to get something two years used without a warranty. I'd think it a no brainer but if he didn't take care of the water couldn't that lead to early failure? Anything I should look at it again given that information?

Thanks for any input anyone!

you need to do what you feel best about, i owuld get a new spa for 4 k myself as I have had great good luck with my spa so far. As I listed earlier from local craigslist adds, if you where ear me you would be paying twice the going rate for the used spas. what city are you near?

1) 2006 Sundance Optima with Radio (love), no warranty of course but it works fine now. Comes with cover and steps. . The water was pretty gross though and I get the feeling he didn't take the greatest care of it (mineral cartridge was kinda gross, filter looked ok). Should be able to get it for $3800ish, + $500 to move, + $150 for headrests and filter + $4500ish

2) 2008 Sundance Majesta (no radio), floor model from dealer, has been wet for a number of months but comes with the full warranty. Comes with cover, steps and starter chemicals. Should be able to get it for $8000ish, + $550 tax = $8500ish delivered.

So a $4k savings to get something two years used without a warranty. I'd think it a no brainer but if he didn't take care of the water couldn't that lead to early failure? Anything I should look at it again given that information?

I feel that 1/3 of the new price is reasonable for a fairly recent model that is in good shape and verifiably working. That would put the Optima in the $3500 - $3700 dollar range in my area (with stereo option). New headrests are going to cost you about $200.00. IMO, you are right on the cusp as far as new vs used.

As a complete Spa owner rookie ... I have no idea if that is overpriced or not. My opinion would be that 4K would cover a lot of warranty work!

I too would love to know the 'life span' of these hot tubs and what things you would normally expect to need repair or replacement and $$ in what time span.

Having just bought a used Sundance Capri myself I would do a few things differently, as I will admit to not having a clue.

I was in a hurry to get it set up, in part because it had been wet and was going outside in below freezing weather so I didn't want to take the risk of leftover water freezing and cracking something (and also because I had wanted one for years and wanted to be able to use it NOW ~) !

It never occurred to me to buy a new filter before I got it. Though I rinsed off the filter that came with it, it was pretty yucky and when the nice clean water ran through it, it got kind of yucky too. Again, though we wiped it out before filling it, I found out later that you can buy a cleaner for hot tubs. I'd get some of that too. I hear they also make something to clean out inside the jets and tubing ... another good plan for a used tub, especially as you said it was poorly maintained. When we started filling it though the filter hole as suggested, the water that initially came out of the jets / holes had green / brown slimy crud. We stopped and sucked it out with a Shop Vac till it came out clear but I would suggest getting some cleaner for that in advanced.

That said, it was a learning experience and certainly wouldn't put me off buying used instead of new, especially as my lovely little Capri only cost me $1200 with the cover and lift. While even that was more than a bit of an extravagence, I am enjoying it immensely. Tonight the sky was just lit up with stars ! : )

Enjoy!

linda

I think it is clear that in the current economy, you can find a great used spa for well under three thousand dollars.

as for moving :

Date: 2009-03-18, 8:54PM PDT

Need a Hot Tub moved, removed, or disposed of?

Why risk damage to your hot tub, home or landscaping,

by choosing a business who claims to be the best?

We do not claim to be the best, we ARE the best.

Our equipment is custom built, and is specially designed to

go where the 'Spa Dolly' WILL NOT (GUARANTEED).

We are a LICENSED, CONTRACTED, & FULLY INSURED BUSINESS!!

We have moved/ delivered/ disposed of over 7500 spas in

the last 7 years.

We provide acrylic repair/ scratch and scuff removal, and

hot tub repair/ parts replacement.

We always take the time to answer any questions that our

customers may have, to put their worries to rest, and we

provide all of our customers with *white-glove service & delivery*.

Pro Spa Movers is highly recommended by Costco, Home Depot, & many

spa companies in the Pacific Northwest. We serve the complete Pacific

Northwest (including the Portland area).

We have too many customer references to count, but they can be

provided upon your request.

Call us for an estimate.

General: $325 for delivery + tax (within 50 miles).

*FREE Spa Removals- MUST meet specified requirements!

For more details on the services that we provide visit us online @ :

http://prospamovers.tripod.com

Contact us:

Email at: prospamovers@yahoo.com

or Call:

Pro Spa Movers

No dealer needed!

There potentially a 3rd option, but it's probably already spoken for. It's a 2000 Cameo for $1200 (+500 move). We'll see if its going tot be available tomorrow.

^ Thanks for the post. What year is your Capri?

Did you get it? ^_^

As someone else pointed out ... in the current economy I bet lots of spas will end up on Craigslist or the like. If you keep watching, something else is bound to turn up. I think the key is checking A LOT. I just happened upon this one the same day it was posted. My brother had actually given me one, but it was bigger and hadn't been run for a couple years. Once I started pricing covers and figured on putting some money in for repairs, I figured it was likely to be far from 'free'! I just happened to check Craigslist as I was there posting info about some classes I was teaching, and there it was ... calling my name. : ) This one is just perfect for me.

It is a 2004 purchased by them in 2005 ... at least that is what I was told. If I recall, noone answered your post as to whether or not there was any way to check that, so I only have their word to go by.

I was just googling for some Sundance info the other day and came across something that said high end Spas like Sundance have a 15 to 20 yr 'life expectancy'. Of course I'm sure that doesn't mean 'without some normal repairs', but it was good to hear as I really had no idea how long these things ran for. At the same time I spotted this one I noticed that a nearby dealer had 1997 Capri for $3200 !!! Yikes. That made me feel really good about th $1200 I paid. It's not listed on their site anymore, so I'm guessing he did actually sell it.

linda