Temperature Control For Hot Tub Project

I'm building a hot tub from scratch; I was able to obtain a free 1999 Jacuzzi hot tub shell from Craigslist. I have two heaters and a couple of various pumps from a previous hot tub project that I built in the past with much success. The only difference now is that in the previous project I had a functional heater control box, so I didn't have to worry about temperature control as I do with my current project.

This time around, I have slightly less to work with in regards to the electronics, but on the up side the complexity (more jets) and overall condition of the shell is much better. I've already built the frame for the shell and checked out all the plumbing and hoses; what I need to do now is wire the heater(s) and pumps.

What I plan to do is build a separate box that will sit next to the tub, which will have the heaters and pumps along with all the corresponding wiring inside. This way access to the wiring and components will be much easier for operation and maintenance. I will be running intake and outtake plumbing from inside the tub to the box and back for suction and to the jets. I will have a circulation pump running all the time and a jets pump to be run only when using the tub. I have two heaters that I want to install; I figure that I might as well use both since I have two, and that even though the current draw will be greater, it will still heat up the tub faster and help to maintain temperature when it is cold outside (the tub will be on a back deck).

Here’s my dilemma: with no control box, I have no way of regulating temperature other than manually turning the heaters on and off via a switch. What I would like to do is have a simple control with which I can set the temperature, and have the heaters turn on when the temperature drops to a certain degree, and turn off when it reaches the desired setting.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I learned a lot from the previous hot tub that I built, but having issues with this one since I don't have a control box, and won't buy a new one. That being said, please don't just tell me to go "buy a control box". I don't want to shell out a couple hundred bux for it, plus I want the satisfaction of building my own! I've done my share of Googling for research thus far into this project; there have been TONS of other guys that have built their own, just few with a good description that I can use.

Thanks!

Brendan Gillespie

Does the temp control work now on the heater? If so (depending on brand) you could possibly take the heater control out of the heater and mount it in your box. If your heaters are older ones, I think you'll have better luck because the older heater may just have two wires to deal with rather than an electronic ignition that has many.

What kind of heaters do you have?

All the other switching you may be able to use air switches (Len Gordon) makes switches that can control two or three things with just one push button switch.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Does the temp control work now on the heater? If so (depending on brand) you could possibly take the heater control out of the heater and mount it in your box. If your heaters are older ones, I think you'll have better luck because the older heater may just have two wires to deal with rather than an electronic ignition that has many.

What kind of heaters do you have?

All the other switching you may be able to use air switches (Len Gordon) makes switches that can control two or three things with just one push button switch.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I don't have any control boxes with temp controls, the two I had were completely shot, but I salvaged the heaters out of them, they still work just fine. They have the two wire contacts, I hooked them up to 110V AC and they heated up just fine.

All I need is the temp control and high-limit switch, I've been looking at spadepot.com which has a ton of great parts, I'm just not sure which ones to get.

I'm building a hot tub from scratch; I was able to obtain a free 1999 Jacuzzi hot tub shell from Craigslist. I have two heaters and a couple of various pumps from a previous hot tub project that I built in the past with much success. The only difference now is that in the previous project I had a functional heater control box, so I didn't have to worry about temperature control as I do with my current project.

This time around, I have slightly less to work with in regards to the electronics, but on the up side the complexity (more jets) and overall condition of the shell is much better. I've already built the frame for the shell and checked out all the plumbing and hoses; what I need to do now is wire the heater(s) and pumps.

What I plan to do is build a separate box that will sit next to the tub, which will have the heaters and pumps along with all the corresponding wiring inside. This way access to the wiring and components will be much easier for operation and maintenance. I will be running intake and outtake plumbing from inside the tub to the box and back for suction and to the jets. I will have a circulation pump running all the time and a jets pump to be run only when using the tub. I have two heaters that I want to install; I figure that I might as well use both since I have two, and that even though the current draw will be greater, it will still heat up the tub faster and help to maintain temperature when it is cold outside (the tub will be on a back deck).

Here’s my dilemma: with no control box, I have no way of regulating temperature other than manually turning the heaters on and off via a switch. What I would like to do is have a simple control with which I can set the temperature, and have the heaters turn on when the temperature drops to a certain degree, and turn off when it reaches the desired setting.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I learned a lot from the previous hot tub that I built, but having issues with this one since I don't have a control box, and won't buy a new one. That being said, please don't just tell me to go "buy a control box". I don't want to shell out a couple hundred bux for it, plus I want the satisfaction of building my own! I've done my share of Googling for research thus far into this project; there have been TONS of other guys that have built their own, just few with a good description that I can use.

Thanks!

Brendan Gillespie

If you just want to turn the heaters on and off you need a mechanical Thermostat, 30 amp contactor for the heater and a mechanical hi limit, and a pressure switch.

The main feed for the heater would go through the contactor. the thermostat would use low voltage to close the coil on the contactor to start heating after the pressure switch closes

Doing it this way the pump will have run 24/7 which you stated. The most important thing is to make sure you have proper size wire to run this system.

I would not use two heater. If going to use 230 volt as a supply that will be some big copper wire to buy and its not cheap. If you are going to 110 volts as a supply would be better but it still only will heat 3-6 degrees an hour with both heaters because it will only equal the rating of one heater running at 230 volts.

I would save one for a spare.

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Hi-Limit-24-x...-P6434C703.aspx

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Pressure-Swit...-P4532C225.aspx

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Contactor--DP...A-P819C179.aspx

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Thermostat-12...-P6424C702.aspx