No Display, What Now?

awitowsk

Well I had been looking for a used spa and found what I thought was a good deal on a leisure bay salida. I know its not considered a top quality brand, but seemed to fit what I was looking for. It is 3 years old and seemed to be well taken care of. New owners bought a house with the spa and didn't want it. I went and looked at it last weekend and everything worked perfect so I picked it up. The move seemed to go fairly well, no significant bumps or drops. Thanks to some help here on the forum I got the wiring hooked up this weekend, but nothing happens. The lcd display does not come on and none of the indicator lights come on.

The only thing that will happen is if I push the test button on the gfci I can hear a click a half second later at the spa. Otherwise power on/off nothing.

Its permanently wired 220v. Balboa controls g3 pack. 2x2.5hp pumps, circ pump, and 4kw heater.

I tested the voltage and and it reads 120 volts across each hot individually and 240 across both hots. I tested each of the 3 fuses with an ohm meter and they all had basically no resistance.

I checked the dip switches and they all look to be in the right positions.

What can I do now?

Is there anything else to test? Is there a way to find out if the problem is with the top display or the circuit board?

Thanks, I am really hoping you guys can help me out.

Well I am pretty well stumped. It seems that it should be something simple but if it is I am missing it. Pricing out a new board they are quite expensive. Plus another $200 for the display if the board is not the problem. I am leaning towards just getting a universal spa pack since it comes with a new heater, board, and display. Does anyone have experiences good/bad with the replacement packs?

When dealing with electrical issues like this, I'd strongly suggest you contact your manufacturer directly. The last thing you need is to somehow get something wired wrong and actually short circuit/fry electrical components in the spa. Those tend to be expensive.

Different spas can wire differently, as they don't all use the same controls and components.

When dealing with electrical issues like this, I'd strongly suggest you contact your manufacturer directly.

Yeah that was the first step. The board and topside are proprietary to leisure bay, so no one else said they sell them. A few said they would work on them if I mailed it in. Leisure bay only has email contact information, I have sent 4 over the period of a week with no responses. I was able to get their phone# form a conversation with balboa and no one answers no matter what time you call. There is only one single voice mailbox and so far no callback. Rec warehouse service was surprisingly better than I expected from the reviews. Nothing great though. My local one is willing to sell a reconditioned board for $225, $475 new. I called 3 other stores and they all said rec warehouse does not offer reconditioned boards. Period. Not sure what that means. The topside is $275 from rec, $200 on ebay.

I have tested the transformer and its fine. My hunch is its the display, but don't think its worth replacing. For about the same as the cost for a tech to test it and either a reconditioned board or topside I can just get a whole new pack. I think I am going to go that route. That way I have a new heater/board/topside and if there are any problems down the road it will be easy fix without dealing with leisure bay. Gamble of used I guess.

When dealing with electrical issues like this, I'd strongly suggest you contact your manufacturer directly.

Yeah that was the first step. The board and topside are proprietary to leisure bay, so no one else said they sell them. A few said they would work on them if I mailed it in. Leisure bay only has email contact information, I have sent 4 over the period of a week with no responses. I was able to get their phone# form a conversation with balboa and no one answers no matter what time you call. There is only one single voice mailbox and so far no callback. Rec warehouse service was surprisingly better than I expected from the reviews. Nothing great though. My local one is willing to sell a reconditioned board for $225, $475 new. I called 3 other stores and they all said rec warehouse does not offer reconditioned boards. Period. Not sure what that means. The topside is $275 from rec, $200 on ebay.

I have tested the transformer and its fine. My hunch is its the display, but don't think its worth replacing. For about the same as the cost for a tech to test it and either a reconditioned board or topside I can just get a whole new pack. I think I am going to go that route. That way I have a new heater/board/topside and if there are any problems down the road it will be easy fix without dealing with leisure bay. Gamble of used I guess.

The board and topside are not Proprietary to Leisure Bay, find a real service tech. We used to sell leisure Bay tubs. It sounds like you have an electrical issue. Before you spend all kinds of money, I would check your electrical hookups. Did you check the fuses in or out of the holders? It is not common that nothing will work unless the control system is totally toast.

If you would like, you can call us and my husband can walk you step by step through some things to test before you put a lot of money into the tub.

The board and topside are not Proprietary to Leisure Bay, find a real service tech. We used to sell leisure Bay tubs. It sounds like you have an electrical issue. Before you spend all kinds of money, I would check your electrical hookups. Did you check the fuses in or out of the holders? It is not common that nothing will work unless the control system is totally toast.

If you would like, you can call us and my husband can walk you step by step through some things to test before you put a lot of money into the tub.

Thanks. I sent a you PM, If you can help me out it would be much appreciated.

I was told by Balboa that the controls were proprietary and I had to contact leisure bay/rec warehouse. I found techs who were willing to work on it, but the cost makes me question fixing versus a new pack.