Placing Rubber Mat Under My Hot Tub?

mike p

I currently have my hot tub on my deck (about 4 feet off ground) and it is about 2 feet from my house, Whenever the filter cycle is on you can hear the vibration of the filters inside of the house and I was wondering if there is a rubber mat or something I can place under the hot tub that will absorb some of that vibration/noise so it is not so apparent inside my house....any clues or ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

I currently have my hot tub on my deck (about 4 feet off ground) and it is about 2 feet from my house, Whenever the filter cycle is on you can hear the vibration of the filters inside of the house and I was wondering if there is a rubber mat or something I can place under the hot tub that will absorb some of that vibration/noise so it is not so apparent inside my house....any clues or ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

I have used old conveyer belt I picked up at a local paper mill under a tub for a customer and it helped a little. But it was still noisier than he liked. He ended up purchasing a different tub to solve his problem.

Thanks

I have used old conveyer belt I picked up at a local paper mill under a tub for a customer and it helped a little. But it was still noisier than he liked. He ended up purchasing a different tub to solve his problem.

I've seen people try a foam or rubber pad. It'll help a little but only so much. IMO, if you have a deck you really want to have a spa with a circ pump rather than one that uses a 2-speed pump for fitering.

How about just re-designing the deck? My deck is free standing 1 inch away from the house. Avoids rotting the wood from water accumulation at the joint.

This reminds me of my recent trip to the Outer Banks, NC, where the house we rented had a hot tub on the deck outside the house. All night long, we heard the hum of the motor, and decided that our idea of putting a hot tub off the master bedroom may not be such a good idea after all.

How about just re-designing the deck? My deck is free standing 1 inch away from the house. Avoids rotting the wood from water accumulation at the joint.

This reminds me of my recent trip to the Outer Banks, NC, where the house we rented had a hot tub on the deck outside the house. All night long, we heard the hum of the motor, and decided that our idea of putting a hot tub off the master bedroom may not be such a good idea after all.

What you had was a spa that uses the jet pump to filter on low speed 6 hrs per day (or so) which I would not put on a deck next to the house or outside a bedroom regardless of the type pad used. As I said above, the key to situations like that is getting a spa with a circ pump. Whether on a concrete pad or a deck you won't hear it running while standing next to the spa let alone inside the house so you certainly can put a spa right outside the bedroom, you just have to be sure of the type of spa you put there.

My Sundance Optima is on a roof deck directly above my bedroom. When I installed the tub, after getting an engineer to confirm that the weight of the tub could be supported by the roof design, I rebuilt the deck supports and then laid down a vibration absorbing half inch rubber mat on top of the deck. The mat came from an industrial supply center and the rubber composition was formulated to absorb vibrations. It cost many $$ but was well worth it! I sleep soundly like a big baby every night (after a dip in the tub)!

What you had was a spa that uses the jet pump to filter on low speed 6 hrs per day (or so) which I would not put on a deck. As I said above, the key to that is getting a spa with a circ pump. Whether on a concrete pad or a deck you won't hear it running while standing next to the spa let alone inside the house so you certainly can put a spa right outside the bedroom, you just have to be sure of the type of spa you put there.

Interesting. Do Costco tubs have a circulation pump?

• 12 years later...