Beachcomber 578 Spa

Weanut

I'm starting my search for a spa. My price range is $5-8K. I have approx. 3-4 choices in San Diego: Sundance Spa, Beachcomber and Jacuzzi so far. The Beachcomber 578 ($8K which includes tax and delivery) appears to be a good spa. Has anyone had any experience with a Beachcomber spa? Does anyone know how this product compares to the Sundance or Jacuzzi Spa?

Thank you!

Weanut

I too am researching new spas and have narrowed it down to a couple brands; beachcomber being the front-runner. I've yet to read a bad review of a beachcomber tub and they have been around for a long time. Sundance and Jacuzzi (same company) make a quality product for sure but bang for the buck and seating comfort I haven't found a tub that matches the Beachcomber. I'll probably get a 578 or 580 once the snow melts and i can run new electrical ('til then i will make due with the tub i have).

I have a friend that's had a 578LE since '05 and has had zero service calls and says he didn't notice a change in his utility bill (even in Canadian climate).

I too am researching new spas and have narrowed it down to a couple brands; beachcomber being the front-runner. I've yet to read a bad review of a beachcomber tub and they have been around for a long time. Sundance and Jacuzzi (same company) make a quality product for sure but bang for the buck and seating comfort I haven't found a tub that matches the Beachcomber. I'll probably get a 578 or 580 once the snow melts and i can run new electrical ('til then i will make due with the tub i have).

I have a friend that's had a 578LE since '05 and has had zero service calls and says he didn't notice a change in his utility bill (even in Canadian climate).

Same here! Although I'm in the States (CA) Beachcomber appears to be the new kid on the block. It's the local dealer's first rodeo with spas and that had me a little concerned. So, I hit the web in search for customer reviews and interestingly, the majority are from Canadians. 90% of the reviewers spoke favorably about the Beachcomber. For some reason I really like the idea of the motor and appurtenances located away from the unit. It may be in part because I spend a great deal of my time working around pumps and motors for water treatment facilities and pump stations. It's great to have access to these components if you have to replace them or for identifying potential problems. But this is only my humble opinion. Much like yourself, I'll wait this blog out in hopes of gaining more insight. Best wishes Rabbit Ears!

Weanut

Weanut;

Thought I would mention that I was at my Beachcomber dealer today for a second look and to ask about relocating the plumbing to another side of the tub as it wouldn't really work where it's currently located with my deck configuration. There is a $250 up-charge to move the plumbing which I think is really reasonable. I don't think you'd have much luck getting another spa maker to customize the plumbing for you. That said my dealer has been selling and servicing the brand for 17 years and i would be the third person to request a plumbing relocate so it's not a very common request but nice to know you have the option. I also got a quote on the 578 hybrid (which is what they're calling the LE tubs in '09) and it was only $200 more than my friend paid in '05 (same dealer). Take the plumbing surcharge into account and beachcomber hasn't raised their prices (at least at my dealer) over the past three years. compare that to the price discrepancies i got from arctic over the same time frame, the cost of their tubs have increased by over $2000. i know they weren't one of the brands that you were looking at and i can't speak to what sundance/jacuzzi prices are like as i don't have a local dealer any more. it's just one more example of why i feel comfortable dealing with beachcomber.

I was very tempted to put my down but my wife is still undecided whether she likes the 578 or 580. I'm 98% certain we've decided on a brand but we'll have to wet/dry test to decide on the model.

good luck on your search.

Weanut;

Thought I would mention that I was at my Beachcomber dealer today for a second look and to ask about relocating the plumbing to another side of the tub as it wouldn't really work where it's currently located with my deck configuration. There is a $250 up-charge to move the plumbing which I think is really reasonable. I don't think you'd have much luck getting another spa maker to customize the plumbing for you. That said my dealer has been selling and servicing the brand for 17 years and i would be the third person to request a plumbing relocate so it's not a very common request but nice to know you have the option. I also got a quote on the 578 hybrid (which is what they're calling the LE tubs in '09) and it was only $200 more than my friend paid in '05 (same dealer). Take the plumbing surcharge into account and beachcomber hasn't raised their prices (at least at my dealer) over the past three years. compare that to the price discrepancies i got from arctic over the same time frame, the cost of their tubs have increased by over $2000. i know they weren't one of the brands that you were looking at and i can't speak to what sundance/jacuzzi prices are like as i don't have a local dealer any more. it's just one more example of why i feel comfortable dealing with beachcomber.

I was very tempted to put my down but my wife is still undecided whether she likes the 578 or 580. I'm 98% certain we've decided on a brand but we'll have to wet/dry test to decide on the model.

Rabbit Ears

Thanks for the update. It sounds like we're standing at the same threshold. My wife is also sharing in this research experience. It just so happens that she's from Canada and her family has two hot tubs. We're uncertain of brands because they're both recessed by brick. I've visited a couple of local dealerships (Jacuzzi, Sundance) and have not been impressed. One in particular really turned me off. However, my gut-intuition is leaning towards the Beachcomber. I'm going to schedule a wet test soon. It is a bit pricy considering that it's a first time purchase. However, after reading so many of the threads regarding some of the less expensive models and all of the improvising that many people had to do, it appears that Keith (Beachcomber Founder) has taken many of these issues into consideration via R&D.

One of the reasons I'm treading with caution is because this local company sells a completely different product and about a year ago decided to add spas (Beachcomber) to their list. So, the longevity isn't there even though this product can potentially sell itself. Warranty work would be covered by a spa service contractor and not the dealer who sells the units. Maybe this is typical. However, it's always to good to know who is going to show-up or pony-up if things aren't panning out! I'll continue to do my research on this one. Please keep me posted if you chose to buy one. Ironically, when you responded I was just looking at a Beachcomber dealer in Alberqer., NM. There website was pretty informative.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
Weanut;

Rabbit Ears

Thanks for the update. It sounds like we're standing at the same threshold. My wife is also sharing in this research experience. It just so happens that she's from Canada and her family has two hot tubs. We're uncertain of brands because they're both recessed by brick. I've visited a couple of local dealerships (Jacuzzi, Sundance) and have not been impressed. One in particular really turned me off. However, my gut-intuition is leaning towards the Beachcomber. I'm going to schedule a wet test soon. It is a bit pricy considering that it's a first time purchase. However, after reading so many of the threads regarding some of the less expensive models and all of the improvising that many people had to do, it appears that Keith (Beachcomber Founder) has taken many of these issues into consideration via R&D.

One of the reasons I'm treading with caution is because this local company sells a completely different product and about a year ago decided to add spas (Beachcomber) to their list. So, the longevity isn't there even though this product can potentially sell itself. Warranty work would be covered by a spa service contractor and not the dealer who sells the units. Maybe this is typical. However, it's always to good to know who is going to show-up or pony-up if things aren't panning out! I'll continue to do my research on this one. Please keep me posted if you chose to buy one. Ironically, when you responded I was just looking at a Beachcomber dealer in Alberqer., NM. There website was pretty informative.

Regards

Hi Weanut. I'm in ABQ as well. I've had the same experience. Curious where you are at in the purchase. I've wet tested some marquis tubs on the west side (dealer is pleasant) but have not liked any thus far. He has the prices pretty low right now (marquis euphorias for 6 and 7k). I'm waiting to wet test a 360 at beachcomber and a J-325 at Jacuzzi once they get water. The same guy that owns hotsprings owns jacuzzi, sundance, and caldera in ABQ as well.... he has like four stores and dominates most of the good brands. I'm pretty excited about either marquis or beachcomber.

Weanut;

Rabbit Ears

Regards

Hi Weanut. I'm in ABQ as well. I've had the same experience. Curious where you are at in the purchase. I've wet tested some marquis tubs on the west side (dealer is pleasant) but have not liked any thus far. He has the prices pretty low right now (marquis euphorias for 6 and 7k). I'm waiting to wet test a 360 at beachcomber and a J-325 at Jacuzzi once they get water. The same guy that owns hotsprings owns jacuzzi, sundance, and caldera in ABQ as well.... he has like four stores and dominates most of the good brands. I'm pretty excited about either marquis or beachcomber.

Hi Matt87109; I'm pretty much convinced that it's going to be a Beachcomber. My awareness has increased about this product since joining this forum.

I'm more convinced that the Costco route is not for me. I have had much success with other products from Costco but after reading the blogs on this forum and several other consumer reviews (US & CA) about their tubs I have surmised that, the work involved to have it delivered from the distribution center to my curb, transporting it from my curb to the back yard, purchasing additional installation to improve it's efficiency and a few other nuisances aren't that appealing. I don't mind paying a little more for quality.

I'll plan to make my purchase within the next few months. The prices are declining for obvious reasons and even if the spa market stabilizes I wouldn't be disappointed primarily, because it's going to be a buyer's market for awhile. I have a few friends and a neighbor who were also considering purchasing a tub but have either decided against it for economic reasons or have decided to postpone the adventure, temporarily.

BTW: I corresponded with a Beachcomber dealer in Nova Scotia who has sold this product for over 15 years. They mentioned that the distributor support (Vancouver, BC) was very responsive regarding guarantees and warranty related issues. They provided some pretty good information on how well the tubs endure the cold and in particular, how energy efficient they are. California (although broke) is turning greener by the hour....so, Beachcomber should fare well here!

Best wishes towards your wet test and towards your purchase!

Weanut

BTW: I corresponded with a Beachcomber dealer in Nova Scotia who has sold this product for over 15 years. They mentioned that the distributor support (Vancouver, BC) was very responsive regarding guarantees and warranty related issues. They provided some pretty good information on how well the tubs endure the cold and in particular, how energy efficient they are. California (although broke) is turning greener by the hour....so, Beachcomber should fare well here!

Weanut

I have independently done service for alot of out of service Beach's in this area of Northern Minnesota. They seem to be a solid product at a fair price. I have a friend that owns one of the 300 series tubs that is geting close to 7-8 years old now with very very little trouble.

Weanut

I have independently done service for alot of out of service Beach's in this area of Northern Minnesota. They seem to be a solid product at a fair price. I have a friend that owns one of the 300 series tubs that is geting close to 7-8 years old now with very very little trouble.

Roger: Thank you for your input!

Weanut