Sand / Gravel In Bottom Of Tub....

Sailing_Faith

Hello all,

I have been happily using my Hot Springs Sovereign most every night since July. I am very happy with it, and happy that I bought it used Paid around 5% of the price of a new one, had to put less then $20 worth of parts into it. :D

The one 'problem' I have had it the stuff that keeps showing up in the bottom of the tub. I have a large concrete deck around my swimming pool that has decorative stone set in it. It was poured many years ago, and apparently some of the sand from the grout is wearing loose. I wipe my feet each time I get in the tub, but notice sand in the bottom of the tub. The cleaning cycle on my tub stirs it up, but it is heavy enough not to be moved into the filters. It just accumulates in the bottom of the tub.

I have tried chasing it around with a small cup, brushing it into a pile and pinching it up, and stirring it up so that the filters can grab it.

I am thinking of getting a turkey baster to use as a vacuum (wife won't even let me in the kitchen, so I know better then to try to get hers. :D

What do you do to get those few stubborn bits off of the bottom of your tub>?

First make sure it is sand and not "scale". So check your chem elvels of course and make sure your not scaling. We use a shop vac with great success to remove sand.

First make sure it is sand and not "scale". So check your chem elvels of course and make sure your not scaling. We use a shop vac with great success to remove sand.

They also sell some spa vacs that work well, the Aqua Quick is the best one we have tried. Turkey baster will work also, flip flops and a foot rinsing bucket may be a good idea also.

This was posted by another member a number of months ago, so I can't take credit for it, though I wish I could.

Get a piece of pipe (I use 1/2" PVC) that is longer than the tub is deep (mine is about 3-1/2 - 4').

1. While holding the pipe out of the water, place your hand over one end

2. Submerge the other end in the water, placing it beside the sand/gravel you are trying to remove

3. Quickly remove your hand from the end

4. Watch the sand/gravel get sucked up into the pipe

5. Place your hand back over the end

6. Remove the pipe from the water

7. Place the pipe outside the tub

8. Remove your hand from the end

9. The water, sand and gravel will fall out of the pipe and onto the ground

10. Repeat as necessary

Kind of like playing with a straw in a glass of water.

This was posted by another member a number of months ago, so I can't take credit for it, though I wish I could.

Get a piece of pipe (I use 1/2" PVC) that is longer than the tub is deep (mine is about 3-1/2 - 4').

2. Submerge the other end in the water, placing it beside the sand/gravel you are trying to remove

10. Repeat as necessary

I was JUST about to order the 'Grit getter' mentioned above (looks like good gear).

I like this one better (cause I am pretty cheap.)

Thanks for the replies.

I sweep the sand over to one side with a sponge and then push it up the side of the tub, the sand falls into the sponge where it is held by all the little holes. When I squeeze the sponge out the sand comes out too.

The pipe thingy sound fun, I'll have to try it, but since I put wooden duckboards around the tub, I don't get much sand inside anymore.

Dave

10. Repeat as necessary

I was JUST about to order the 'Grit getter' mentioned above (looks like good gear).

I like this one better (cause I am pretty cheap.)

Thanks for the replies.

I did this same thing with a garden hose last week to get trash out of my tub.. Works well.

wow, a grit getter is about 15 bucks, if you are trying to save money on that you are cheap... lol

:D I AM cheap... but not quite that bad. The one I found on a quick google search was $29, and another $8 for the handle... and then shipping.....

.......I can buy a whole bunch of hose for that.

Of course most of the time I soak at night with the Lights out so I don't see it all that much. :P