Need Opinions And Advice For Repair

tpatch

Against everyones advice, I purchased a used masterspa ls 700 back at the beginning of september. I got it hooked up and running and within a few days I noticed a couple jets werent working and it made a funny noise. I called the hot tub repair guy to come look at it. They told me I had a bad valve that was closed, which caused the bearings on the motor to go bad. So I had them order a new motor and valve. Cost on that repair was Duraject 2.0 hp 2 spd 230 volt motor $370, 2 valves, 2 pump unions, and 2 valve $ 31.00 Shipping $50, and labor $260 for a grand total of $741. Then I noticed the temp seemed cool, so they came out again. This time they installed a new APC temp sensor part BB30337 $120 and $86 for labor with a total of $206. The temp still was 12 degrees off, so they came out to install a new heater and told me the relay for my second jet is stuck and burned closed so I would now need a whole new balboa pack which they would charge close to $3,000 to install. Am I getting ripped off by the repair man who is also a friend of mine? They told me the invoices they have supplied already were discounted as well. I now have someone willing to install a new power pack(he is a certified tech) for a cost of the unit around 600 plus a hundred bucks for labor. I am so frustrated and just ready to give up and drain it til I can afford to do something with it or sell it to the next sucker. Can anyone shed some light on the situation? Help Please. I love my spa. It is the best part of my day. Is there a way to repair the relay? Any info you provide would be helpful. What do average repair costs run? Am I being taken advantage of? Does anyone have experience with a situation like this repair?Thanks for taking the time to respond.

The part costs seem a bit high but you could probably do allot of the work yourself. The labor costs seem a bit high to me. The motor could have been taken to an electric motor re-builder and refurbished for allot less than a new motor. As far as the relays, get a price on a repair from spa-boards.com. They can usually fix a relay for less than half the cost of a new board. Just remove the board yourself and send it in. You should not have to call the repair guy every time you need something done.

Good luck.

Thank You! I was weighing the option of having the motor repaired and according to my stepdad it would have been about a hundred bucks. I have a store in a shopping center and the pool/spa guys are my friends upstairs. They sent out two guys to work on the spa. If I hadn't called them, I wouldn't have known the valve was bad. I would have kept going through motors. As for the spa pack, they tell me there is no way to repair the relay.According to Balboa, I need a new pack. I am a girl and just don't really understand all this stuff and will prob electrocute myself, which was the other reason I called the repair guy. My total bill so far was just under 1,000. Oh and that was with a "discount" because they are friends of mine. I haven't paid for the new thermostat yet, but the problem isn't fixed. Thanks for the tip about spa-boards.com. I will definitely check them out and I need all the good luck I can get. Is it normal for all these things to go bad at once. Any other posts are definitely welcome. I am interested in other peoples repair experiences as well.

Thanks again.

As for the spa pack, they tell me there is no way to repair the relay.According to Balboa, I need a new pack.

Relays cannot be repaired but they can be replaced on the board. You should not have to replace the entire board. It sounds like Balboa is just wanting to sell you a new pack.

As for the spa pack, they tell me there is no way to repair the relay.According to Balboa, I need a new pack.

Relays cannot be repaired but they can be replaced on the board. You should not have to replace the entire board. It sounds like Balboa is just wanting to sell you a new pack.

Balboa has never told me a board can't be repaired unless it a burnt up. I have sent boards to balboa for repair they are slow and not cheap.

I have been sending boards to Another place which is great work and good prices, but they only go thru dealers no public requests.

I also never heard of a valve going bad and ruining bearings just burning the pump seal and melting the plastic parts of the pump.

A better option for you would be to just buy a new Balboa VS 510 spa pack for no more then $500.00 on the internet and replace it yourself. It's a very simple thing to do. I have even tought my 69 year old mother how to replace a spa pack in less then an hour an a half for her.

Where would you find that online? Would it be the right one for a Master Spa LS 700. I have three motors and two speeds. I am learning as I go. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but that would be one heck of a challenge. My stepdad is an electrician, so I have someone to help. My son and I tried to change our shower head and screwed that up, so I am not real confident I would be as talented as your 69 year old mother. Oh and to JKM saying the parts were a bit high, the temp sensor I was charged $206 installed was a $46 part. They charged $120 for the part and $86 for installation. Haven't looked up the motor yet, but I can't wait now. I also want to call some other spa repair companies to see how much I saved by giving the business to my "friends". My "friend" is coming to look at the tub to see if it is the board or the whole pack that is malfunctioning. I can't get the spa to do anything but run continuously. The top side won't even come on. What a mess and I miss my spa :( Would have been a perfect night to relax and watch the Eagles kick ass.