Tubs Sold Into Ct

We just received a letter from the State of CT that any tub that is sold in the state must pass the California Energy Commission testing starting January 1st.

How is this effecting some of the dealers out there since there are only about 15 tub lines that have passed this?

While on this, I got thinking, how do companies like Costco and internet tubs get sold into the States that have these laws?

We just received a letter from the State of CT that any tub that is sold in the state must pass the California Energy Commission testing starting January 1st.

How is this effecting some of the dealers out there since there are only about 15 tub lines that have passed this?

While on this, I got thinking, how do companies like Costco and internet tubs get sold into the States that have these laws?

Some day I hope there will be independent certified testing rather than the current self reported results going to CEC but this is a great first step to getting rid of some of the poorly insulated products out there.

I know some sales people will now say "our spa is well insulated because we have CEC certification" but we're still at the point where manufacturers can report what they feel is correct or what they feel is in tehir best interest. Based on how a few have been known to run their business I'm not ready to give the benefit of the doubt on a few brands and I scratch my head on how they're passing.

As far as some of the current mass merchant tubs go, Some day I hope there will be independent certified testing rather than the current self reported results going to CEC but this is a great first step to getting rid of some of the poorly insulated products out there.

I know some sales people will now say "our spa is well insulated because we have CEC certification" but we're still at the point where manufacturers can report what they feel is correct or what they feel is in tehir best interest. Based on how a few have been known to run their business I'm not ready to give the benefit of the doubt on a few brands and I scratch my head on how they're passing.

As far as some of the current mass merchant tubs go, they may have to transpose a few numbers before they send their results to the CEC.

If they could report what they feel, or whats best more than just 15 companies would be on the list, everyone would do it.

It is very costly for these companies to do the testing, we have been discussing this with leisure Bay. They have been working on the testing and making their tubs complient, although they are not compliant yet. They can't just send fake info to the CEC.

This is a dead horse catagory, I was wondering what the different dealers are going to do and with only 15 complient tubs, those of us that carry them may have dealers competing with the same brand which could be interesting.

If they could report what they feel, or whats best more than just 15 companies would be on the list, everyone would do it.

It is very costly for these companies to do the testing, we have been discussing this with leisure Bay. They have been working on the testing and making their tubs complient, although they are not compliant yet. They can't just send fake info to the CEC.

This is a dead horse catagory, I was wondering what the different dealers are going to do and with only 15 complient tubs, those of us that carry them may have dealers competing with the same brand which could be interesting.

I think most people assume these spas are sent out to the CEC for testing but that's not the case. To be UL certified that may be the case but this is still a step back. The reality is manufacturers either test in house or contract with someone for testing and then send their results to the CEC. I’m not sure who’s doing which.

I am certainly not saying you can't trust anyone and the fact that not everyone is yet on the list suggests some are working to make theirs compliant but I personally am not ready to take “CEC certified” to simply mean that spa is going to be energy efficient (and I've seen a few on that list that make me roll my eyes). In the end it’s a great first step.

My understanding is that an outside source has to confirm the test results before they are sent to the CEC. Leisure Bay has made their own testing area, had to follow certain guidelines to build and all the results have to be checked and confirmed by an outside company.

Our tubs are compliant complete with the little yellow tag. What we are clear with when our customers see that it only cost $9.90 or $14.63 a month to run is that the tests are done at 60 degrees and with no spa use.

What we are clear with when our customers see that it only cost $9.90 or $14.63 a month to run is that the tests are done at 60 degrees and with no spa use.

Considering the criteria those results should be easy to accomplish by alot of manufacturers. Simply install a low voltage circ pump or minumize the filtering and temp. Matter of fact lower the temp to below the room temp and whalla, no heater use.

What we are clear with when our customers see that it only cost $9.90 or $14.63 a month to run is that the tests are done at 60 degrees and with no spa use.

Considering the criteria those results should be easy to accomplish by alot of manufacturers. Simply install a low voltage circ pump or minumize the filtering and temp. Matter of fact lower the temp to below the room temp and whalla, no heater use.

Tubs at set at 102 for the test, good try though Roger :D

This is what the energy smart tags say....

Based on operating temp of 102 constantly, with an average electric rate of 10 cents pwe kWh :lol: Ambient air temp of 60 degrees constantly. Your actual operating costs will vary depending on use, air tempreture and your local utility rate........

I think if there is any "fudging" done what you might see is software changes to lower the minimum filtering times (hopefully not to minimum levels that are too low) as you stated but as Hillbilly said they already have the temp locked. We certainly may also see companies go to circ pumps as they certainly use less power on a daily basis. And the other change is the obvious one; greatly reduce air transfer by insulating better. I'm not sure it'll go to the point of companies fully foaming spas because I don't think the current standard is yet tough enough for companies to need to take that step but this will at least force those who are not close to tighten things up.