Question Regarding Surface Levelness

pg_rider

It's raining here right now which is showing me a potential problem with the pad where I plan to put my tub. I thought it was perfectly flat with just a slight grade for drainage, but now that it's raining I can see a low spot where the water is collecting (top right corner of the pad in the picture if you were standing at the taped-off "steps" -- kinda hard to see, I know). At it's deepest I'd say it's less than 1/4" inch but obviously it's enough to collect water.

Should I be concerned about placing my tub there? Is that enough to cause settling of the structure in that spot thereby encouraging shell cracks? Sure hope not!

(as for my tape job of the tub outline, yes I'm just a little bit anxious to get the tub -- just trying to envision how it'll look! :))

IPB Image

It's raining here right now which is showing me a potential problem with the pad where I plan to put my tub. I thought it was perfectly flat with just a slight grade for drainage, but now that it's raining I can see a low spot where the water is collecting (top right corner of the pad in the picture if you were standing at the taped-off "steps" -- kinda hard to see, I know). At it's deepest I'd say it's less than 1/4" inch but obviously it's enough to collect water.

Should I be concerned about placing my tub there? Is that enough to cause settling of the structure in that spot thereby encouraging shell cracks? Sure hope not!

(as for my tape job of the tub outline, yes I'm just a little bit anxious to get the tub -- just trying to envision how it'll look! :))

IPB Image

If it's less than a quarter inch it shouldn't be an issue at all.

I don't think any concrete job is any more level than 1/4 inch. I wouldn't worry about it. It would be no different on the shell than a 1/4 inch slope and most concrete has a slight slope for drainage.

You can buy some concrete patch and Leveler at Lowes or Home Depot. It is made to skim coat concrete to level an area or repair a damaged slab. You mix it with water and trowel it on. Should solve your problem

Sounds great! Do you think it sets up hard enough to hold up to the weight of the tub?

I don't think any concrete job is any more level than 1/4 inch. I wouldn't worry about it. It would be no different on the shell than a 1/4 inch slope and most concrete has a slight slope for drainage.

I hear ya, but I think this is a different situation since there's an actual low spot where a portion of the tub structure could settle into. But hopefully you're right, it's not enough of a low spot to make a difference. Maybe I'll go ask the dealer. I might patch it too though, just to be sure...

Sounds great! Do you think it sets up hard enough to hold up to the weight of the tub?

I hear ya, but I think this is a different situation since there's an actual low spot where a portion of the tub structure could settle into. But hopefully you're right, it's not enough of a low spot to make a difference. Maybe I'll go ask the dealer. I might patch it too though, just to be sure...

Yes that leveler stuff sets up hard as concrete. The problem is the edges are sometimes hard to keep clean over time. The one under the tub should stay clean but the ones exposed may start to show after a while. To get that stuff right you have to etch the concrete. Wheres the concrete guys when you need them, Autoplay!!!!

Yes that leveler stuff sets up hard as concrete. The problem is the edges are sometimes hard to keep clean over time. The one under the tub should stay clean but the ones exposed may start to show after a while. To get that stuff right you have to etch the concrete. Wheres the concrete guys when you need them, Autoplay!!!!

I thought Denniss was the concrete guy? grin. I'm just a lowly tile/stone mason,who has played in the mud for 20 years too long lol.

1st off,if you're going to fill the void/low spot in your concrete,you need to link/bond to the old slab.....esp important as you're not adding very much as far as thickness. There's a product called "Ardex" that will work great in your application. It's more expensive than average concrete,but offers much more strength with thin/skmmed areas,verses concrete. Tile and carpet layers use it when filling shallow depressions,and/or skimming from X to nothing etc.

You can use concrete,but you will see that as your thickness isn't a minimum on 3/4" it will crack over time. Bet yours and my life on it lol.

As Roger mentioned, 1/4" ain't much....and if was me,I would install the filter/drain,on the lowside of the concrete. I did that on mine,if I recall,I think I had close to 1" in 8' pitch. Unless you're looking for the waterline in the tub etc,you really can't tell in mine.

GL

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image