Equipment For Blowing Out Lines

SFS

I'm an inground pool newbie - just had one put in this year. A week ago I had the installation pool company come and winterize. I watched carefully. It seemed pretty straightforward and after $350, I want to do it myself next year. I have a main drain and the pump is around the side of the house from the pool, so I'm not sure that my shop vac would cut it. I don't mind investing in a blower since it will quickly pay for itself. The pros had something like this: http://www.poolcenter.com/winter_supplies_mighty_vac.htm

My only question is how best to hook it up. The guys who did mine had a slick plexiglass piece that was the exact size/shape as the pump lid, except it had a fitting coming out of the top for the blower hose. They said they made it themselves. It clamped in place like the lid and worked like a champ. Do you have any idea of where I could get something like that? If not, how would you recommend connecting the blower? I looked through some of the recent posts on blowing out lines and did not see an obvious answer.

I live in Cleveland, so I want to make sure I get all the water out.

thanks,

scott

Not sure of your set-up so it hard to give adivce. Pictures always help.

I have heard disconnecting at the heater and placing the blower in the line at that point is a good idea. However, I don't have a heater so I don't have experience with this. I disconnected my return lines from the filter to connect the blower. Also, I got a fitting (from a plumbing store) that screwed in to the drain plug from the pump. I then connected this fitting to a compressor to blow the main drain. Your blower probably has enought power to do the main drain but my shop vac did not.

As a last bit of advice, I found lowering the water below the returns allowed me to not only "blow" the lines but I also vacuumed out any last bit of water. Did this for both returns and the skimmers.

Good luck.

I'm an inground pool newbie - just had one put in this year. A week ago I had the installation pool company come and winterize. I watched carefully. It seemed pretty straightforward and after $350, I want to do it myself next year. I have a main drain and the pump is around the side of the house from the pool, so I'm not sure that my shop vac would cut it. I don't mind investing in a blower since it will quickly pay for itself. The pros had something like this: http://www.poolcenter.com/winter_supplies_mighty_vac.htm

My only question is how best to hook it up. The guys who did mine had a slick plexiglass piece that was the exact size/shape as the pump lid, except it had a fitting coming out of the top for the blower hose. They said they made it themselves. It clamped in place like the lid and worked like a champ. Do you have any idea of where I could get something like that? If not, how would you recommend connecting the blower? I looked through some of the recent posts on blowing out lines and did not see an obvious answer.

I live in Cleveland, so I want to make sure I get all the water out.

thanks,

scott

Give me some info on your system it will make it easier to help you

I just watched the guy do my pool and he had the same setup.

What you need to do is order a replacement cap for the filter pump, (The clear plastic thing that you can look into to see if the strainer basket on the pump). Do google on the pump manufacturer and ask them where you can get that piece. It should come with a gasket. The pool store may even have one... While at the pool store, pick up a straight hose adapter. This fitting is what you would buy to replace a fitting for vacuuming. You can probably get that piece at the plumbing store.... You will also need a nut to fit the threaded portion on the fitting. Then you drill a hole in the clear plastic piece that the fitting will fit in. Then you use silicone sealant bead around the hole. Insert the fitting, thread on the nut and your're done. My closer told me that you can use a leaf blower to blow out the line. I'll have to make up a fitting to go from the blower to the filter...

A picture of the installed cap and fitting is here

poolclosingpictures001.jpg