Restabilizing The Water After A 4 Day Party!

Urbane Lion

OK, the last of the guest have left (finally!) and it's now time to pick up the pieces. We had from 16 to 20 people sleep over for the long w/e and the hot tub (Arctic Spa Tundra LE with salt water system) had plenty of use. Daytime, evenings, whenever. I always shocked after each use but will now take a reading to assess the damage!

Will keep you posted!

OK, the last of the guest have left (finally!) and it's now time to pick up the pieces. We had from 16 to 20 people sleep over for the long w/e and the hot tub (Arctic Spa Tundra LE with salt water system) had plenty of use. Daytime, evenings, whenever. I always shocked after each use but will now take a reading to assess the damage!

Will keep you posted!

Wow! I'm amazed.... except for the PH that's a little on the low side, all other parameters are within the recommended guidelines. Tub is foaming like crazy though and unfortunately, Foam Away does not last very long. I'll be changing the water in a couple of weeks anyways....

As long as you shocked after each use you should be ok. However, I'm sure you now have a lot of oils, lotions, soaps, deordorants, condisheners, hairspray etc. added to your tub by your guests. That's what is causing the foam. You can try turning all the jets and air on, then skim the foam off the top. That will take a few days of doing it, but will reduce it some. You can also try an enzyme. That will eat up a lot of that stuff. You can also use a clearifer. That will clump it up and deposit it on your filter. Make sure you clean your filter a day or two later. That may get you until your next water change.

I had the same problem a week ago. I just skimmed the foam a few days in a row, and used a clearifier. No more foam.

Nitro/Jeffr72: Thanks for the tips! Will certainly give it a try considering we are having another party on 1st November. Can you recommend any enzymes or clarifiers?

I use Sea Klear natural clarifier sold at SpaDepot.com, but I'm sure there are other good ones. I guess being natural is the key. I'm not too familar with the different enzymes though.

You might want to try adding MPS before a high bather load. It will help oxidize body wastes during the soak. Then just shock with chlorine afterward.

Nitro/Jeffr72: Thanks for the tips! Will certainly give it a try considering we are having another party on 1st November. Can you recommend any enzymes or clarifiers?

I like Liesure Time Enzyme, but enzymes work best as an ongoing maintenance product...something you add weekly rather than a quick fix product. I've used them periodically in the past and like the results but haven't kept up with them. They also make the water smell very refreshing.

Shocking with MPS and lots of filtering may be your best remedy.

Wow! I'm amazed.... except for the PH that's a little on the low side, all other parameters are within the recommended guidelines. Tub is foaming like crazy though and unfortunately, Foam Away does not last very long. I'll be changing the water in a couple of weeks anyways....

I am amazed also. Especially since we had 6 people in this weekend and I shocked it with a capful of Refresh, checked it the next day and was down to ZILCH. I must not know what I'm doing. I cranked Onzen up to CP6 and shocked again. Finally got it back up by the second day. Did I not add enough shock? They said to be careful how much you put in the salt system.

Also, have LOTS of leftover foam that won't go away...

I am amazed also. Especially since we had 6 people in this weekend and I shocked it with a capful of Refresh, checked it the next day and was down to ZILCH. I must not know what I'm doing. I cranked Onzen up to CP6 and shocked again. Finally got it back up by the second day. Did I not add enough shock? They said to be careful how much you put in the salt system.

Also, have LOTS of leftover foam that won't go away...

Yeah well the foam is a different issue caused by residual shampoos and soaps or people using their hot tub instead of taking a bath. Will definately use the skimming technique and once I change the water it will be a strictly nude tub!

Sea Klear is the best stuff we have found plus it is the one that is suggested with the salt systems that are put into our tubs. All natural made from crab shells, does not gunk the filter, although as mentioned if you have the micropure filter it could cause an issue.

Skimming works, but takes forever and never seems to get all the risdual out. I would rather use Sea Klear and MPS then clean my filters out really well.

Sea Klear is the best stuff we have found plus it is the one that is suggested with the salt systems that are put into our tubs. All natural made from crab shells, does not gunk the filter, although as mentioned if you have the micropure filter it could cause an issue.

Skimming works, but takes forever and never seems to get all the risdual out. I would rather use Sea Klear and MPS then clean my filters out really well.

I use the micropure filters so I guess SeaKlear is a no-no. I can get it to really foam up when I turn on all 3 pumps and the air therapy jets at the same time. I have a large plastic dust pan I can use for skimming. Shouldn't take that long. Just one more big party on November 1st and then I'll change the water for the winter.

• 2 months later...

Urbane Lion,

We are in Ottawa and we are really struggling with our chemical balance. We too have an Arctic Spa with a salt water system (autoclor).

If you get a chance, could you drop us an email at tomchateau@gmail.com? We are getting little help from the local dealers.

Thanks...Tom

We started having trouble keeping bromine levels at the proper level so I purchased some salt test strips ($10 w/ free shipping on Ebay)and a handheld TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter ($15 w/ free shipping on Ebay). Salt level came out to 3200 ppm, which was a little high. TDS showed around 3800 ppm. After doing a bunch of internet research on TDS especially reading about the Genesis Bromine Generator, I found that a level of 3500 ppm TDS is time to change the water. Here's what I learned. When we first got our tub, Arctic said to put in 8 to 10 lbs of salt. I put in 8 and didn't think it was producing enough sanitizer so I through in the remaining 2 lbs. Now Arctic recommends 5.7 to 8.1 for our Summit. Genesis says 1 lb of salt for every 100 gallons. So I completely drained the tub and only put in 5 lbs. The sanitizer levels came up perfectly and things are working better than ever! So I recommend testing not only your salt level but your TDS also. Mine is now at 2500 ppm. The rule of thumb is if EVERYTHING else is perfect, check your TDS.

• 2 weeks later...

Urbam Lionne

We have our pools and spas salt water too and, we have at the ealy stage, had a lot of foam in our hot tubs (Hotel use). We were told to stay on the high side of the calcium range (even above) and it works very well.

We could not find the Sea Klear in BC, but since I am not even looking fo it.

Cheers

Claude

Urbam Lionne

We have our pools and spas salt water too and, we have at the ealy stage, had a lot of foam in our hot tubs (Hotel use). We were told to stay on the high side of the calcium range (even above) and it works very well.

We could not find the Sea Klear in BC, but since I am not even looking fo it.

Cheers

Claude