"cover Saver" Type Blankets

thadius65

I just ordered a cover saver type closed cell thermal blanket. Similar to the Cover Saver, but not quite as thick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

Two questions:

1). Anyone use this type of cover and if so, have good outcome?

2). What is the best way to trim to get good fit? Obviously with scissors, but examples if you have cut down to fit. Wish I could get a paper template from Watkins for my Vista, that would provide best fit. Any thoughts on how to best do this?

Thanks for the feedback!

Ted

I just ordered a cover saver type closed cell thermal blanket. Similar to the Cover Saver, but not quite as thick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

Two questions:

1). Anyone use this type of cover and if so, have good outcome?

2). What is the best way to trim to get good fit? Obviously with scissors, but examples if you have cut down to fit. Wish I could get a paper template from Watkins for my Vista, that would provide best fit. Any thoughts on how to best do this?

Thanks for the feedback!

Ted

I am a big believer in a floating blanket. The first one we bought was 1/8 inch thick closed cell foam and we cut it to lay on the surface of the water (used a sharpie to make dots on the blanket in the approximate shape of the spa, then cut it large and trimmed off a little at a time until we got it to the right shape/size). What I didn't like about it was, when it was in place and the jets came on at the beginning of a filter cycle, or when I wanted to add chlorine and turn the jets on to mix it, it would bunch up. So about 2 months ago, when we bought a cover lifter from rhtubs.com, we bought a lifter that included a 1/4 inch thick floating blanket. This one is great - doesn't move around at all! My first thought was to use the thinner one as a template for cutting the thicker one. But we ended up just keeping it as a 6' X 6' square. It lays on the surface of the water in the middle but the 2-3 inches on each edge just lay on the top edge of the shell. Don't know if that cuts down on the energy efficiency of the blanket but sure helps with evaporation of water and with condensation build-up on the underneath side of the hard cover, plus it still seems to hold the water temp. This eliminated the need to do any cutting and it makes it really easy to put the blanket back in place when we close up the spa - we don't have to worry about which side is facing which way. Just a thought.

Sandi

How thick is it?

This one is 1/8" thick.

Sandi - thanks for the usage feedback. live and learn i guess. not much lost. got 30% off with MS Live rebate. with the HS Vista, no jets unless i hit clean button other than the silent flo 7x24 pump.

Your Hotsprings is a lot better made/insulated than our Costco spa - the 1/8 inch foam will be fine. It will still cut down on evaporation and condensation on your hard cover and will hold the heat in. In the year that we had the thinner one, it got a few tears in it from trying to maneuver it back into the correct position after using the spa. In light of that, you still might want to consider just leaving it as a square that is large enough to fit your spa any way you position it so it would be less prone to tearing. Maybe someone on the forum (Doc?) can offer an opinion about whether a floating blanket that doesn't rest completely on the surface of the water defeats the purpose of having one.

Sandi

Maybe someone on the forum (Doc?) can offer an opinion about whether a floating blanket that doesn't rest completely on the surface of the water defeats the purpose of having one.

Sandi

I would imagine that more than 90% of the blanket is still in contact with the water, in which case, I doubt it makes a difference.

I was thinking of this for the winter. I wonder if it would awkward in freezing temps. If you slide it off and to the deck and get in, and 30 minutes later, when you get out, is it frozen? I would imagine my first interest is getting right back in the house, so would messing with a frozen stiff cover take a while?

I was thinking of this for the winter. I wonder if it would awkward in freezing temps. If you slide it off and to the deck and get in, and 30 minutes later, when you get out, is it frozen? I would imagine my first interest is getting right back in the house, so would messing with a frozen stiff cover take a while?

We take the cover off and then just fold the floating blanket back and lay it on the cover. we're in southern DE so our winters aren't awful but the blanket never froze. The closed cell foam doesn't absorb water so there's really nothing to freeze.

This brings up a semi related question.

If you live in a winter climate (northeast), where sometimes we get very harsh snow and cold, is it advisable to put something over your tub and cover in anticipation of a bad storm? In other words, say I have a tub and a cover that is tightly snapped on, is it ok to also throw a tarp over the whole thing in the case that we have snow or freezing rain coming? Is it a good idea? Bad?

We take the cover off and then just fold the floating blanket back and lay it on the cover. we're in southern DE so our winters aren't awful but the blanket never froze. The closed cell foam doesn't absorb water so there's really nothing to freeze.

We also live in southern DE. I was using the thinner, 1/8", blanket last winter. I use to fold it and place it in one of the seats we were not using, letting it float on top of the water. So, freezing never became an issue.

After a while, I started noticing the blanket seemed to fall apart rather easily when it was grabbed. I don't know if it was water logged and just too heavy to grab and pull or the chemicals were breaking it down or the ozone was breaking it down. I don't us it any longer.

We live in Northern Delaware... and I can't imagine what would be gained by a floating cover. I ant the tub to relax, so the pennies that MAY be saved are not worth the cost or hassle. Are they?

Mine was included with the lifter we purchased so no cost (and no, the price of the lifter wasn't higher than other places to cover the cost of the blanket). In exchange for the 15 seconds (literally) that it takes to remove and put back in place, it cuts down on water evaporation, heat loss, and condensation that can eventually damage the underneath side of the hard cover. To me those things are worth 15 seconds of hassle.

Sandi

If you live in a winter climate (northeast), where sometimes we get very harsh snow and cold, is it advisable to put something over your tub and cover in anticipation of a bad storm? In other words, say I have a tub and a cover that is tightly snapped on, is it ok to also throw a tarp over the whole thing in the case that we have snow or freezing rain coming? Is it a good idea? Bad?

I guess it depends n the strength of your cover and on the strenght of the "strings" that secure it.

My cover is not that strong/thick (not an Arctic) so for the winter I have a wooden plank under the cover (with cross in the middle (that does not stick out above the hot tub) and also use a strong tarp that is secured with a rope. It is a bit of a hassle, but especially if you expect a storm it will protect the cover/hottub.

This might be an idea-->

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/float.htm

Floating Blanket Leash

If you use a cover lifter and a floating blanket this is something you wont know how you ever did without. The Floating Blanket Leash attaches your floating blanket to your spa cover so that when you open your cover, and remove it with the cover lifter, the floating blanket is automatically removed at the same time. No longer will you need to manually remove your floating blanket, and figure out where to put it when you use your spa. Your floating blanket will also remain clean since it will be gently hanging over your insulating cover on top of the cover lifter. Works on all types of floating blankets, bubble or foam.

I do not have one myself.....

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I was concerned about making the blanket fit. Listened to some recommendations and placed blanket in water, used a non-perm marker and traced sections for cutting. Cut with scissors one area at a time and it turned out pretty good.

Floats nice on water and stays put even with jets on full or on clean cycle. It is very easy to remove. When I flip up cover 1/2 way, I then grab the blanket and flip it up on cover, then fully open cover and it comes off with it. Reverse to put back on. Only a few more seconds to remove/install.

First think i noticed was that when cover is removed, there is not all of that condensation on the underside, so it definately helps with loss of water. Hoping some benefit from heat loss.

Question - Do those of you with cover lifters notice that the cover is not fully snug all the way around the tub. I have some spots that have like 1/8" gap, even with 4 straps on corners in place??

Ted