Proper Used Water Disposal - Recommendations?

Nic in Ric

• 2 weeks later...
Hello fellow hot-tubers,

I am about to drain my hot tub for the first time. I used bromine pellets to sanitize and prevent my tub from becoming a hot soup of green gooey algae.

How should I dispose of the water properly? Can I dump the water in my yard without sterilizing 20 acres of land?

Any advise?

Wow i found this very lonely ignored post and I'll tell you why. It would require a team of lawyers to officially answer this question... like if the answer came from a respected dealer. Since I get no respect I'l help you decide on your own. It would be very interesting to go into all the carbon footprinting behind filling and emptying your spa "greenly" Chlorine and bromine are gases and dissipate quickly, the worst offender might be the built up salts in your water, or if you added an enzyme "Purge" type product before you drained. You might worry about that stuff, but unless told otherwise by a product label, realize you have been authorized by everyone to sit and bathe in this water and it's very likely safe for your lawn. When I drain I am amazed how LITTLE 400 gallons is when dumped on a thirsty lawn.

Remember whenever thinking about doing something "Green" always look at all the energy being input into the process... i mean you could pump it all into a 10,000 gallon rain barrel hooked up to your drip irrigation, so as to not waste a drop, but how much oil/coal/nucular (<-see that's funny right thar) powered electricity are you using to save the water? I was attaching a clear large diameter plastic hose to my drain so i could spread the water around but discovered it took twice as long to drain. Now I use that as an additional siphon while I drain normally and it's very quick and I use the siphon like a vacuum cleaner to suck up anything visible and clean the filter compartment. Money is GREEN and TIME is MONEY sooo saving money is GREEN, see how easy that was? The fastest way is the greenest way! That's what I told the trooper as he was writing me a speeding ticket...

Bo "Greenification Across the Nation" Darc

Hello fellow hot-tubers,

I am about to drain my hot tub for the first time. I used bromine pellets to sanitize and prevent my tub from becoming a hot soup of green gooey algae.

How should I dispose of the water properly? Can I dump the water in my yard without sterilizing 20 acres of land?

Any advise?

I always dumped my dichlor tub on my neighbors lawn and it never killed nothin.