What Chemicals To Buy (full Set) When Starting?

Peter Smit

Any remarks / ideas? :huh:

Guideline for Hot Tub (with ozonator and approx 250 Gallons) using Bromine

I first tested the tap-water. Results: ALK: 80ppm / PH 6.8 / CH 79ppm (CH is info from watercompany)

To Buy:

* Alk/Ph/Brom teststrips (50)

* Calcium Chloride (CH increaser) (1Kg)

* PH+ (1Kg)

* Bromine tablets and floating dispenser (1Kg)

* Filter cleaner (chemical) (2L)

* Foam way (2L)

* Oxi Shock

* Spa Sparkle (Spa water clarifier. Collects small particles into large masses to be removed by the filter.) (1Kg)

* 1 spare set of filters

* 1 small electronic Weighing scale (2- 5 gram increments)

* 1 large airtight container for all chemicals

* 1 10L bucket to disolve each chemical (individually!) and a stirring stick

PS We bought second-hand Spaform Prestige 30... (6 years old) on E-bay and have no instructions!

Any remarks / ideas? :huh:

Guideline for Hot Tub (with ozonator and approx 250 Gallons) using Bromine

I first tested the tap-water. Results: ALK: 80ppm / PH 6.8 / CH 79ppm (CH is info from watercompany)

To Buy:

* Alk/Ph/Brom teststrips (50)

* Calcium Chloride (CH increaser) (1Kg)

* PH+ (1Kg)

* Bromine tablets and floating dispenser (1Kg)

* Filter cleaner (chemical) (2L)

* Foam way (2L)

* Oxi Shock (Spa water clarifier. Collects small particles into large masses to be removed by the filter.) (1Kg)

* 1 spare set of filters

* 1 small electronic Weighing scale (2- 5 gram increments)

* 1 large airtight container for all chemicals

* 1 10L bucket to disolve each chemical (individually!) and a stirring stick

PS We bought second-hand Spaform Prestige 30... (6 years old) on E-bay and have no instructions!

The test strips should have CH test on it also if you are adjusting the Calcium hardness, although I personally would not pull it up much.

Ox shock I though was a shock, MPS non chlorine shock, not a water clarifier. You use this to shock the tub weekly, more if the tub is being used frequently. Clarifier is different.

I suggest taking a few hours and looking through this forum. First key on the threads whose titles might sound useful, then look through the ones with the most posts and your 'schedule' questions will be answered. You will likely find that there is no exact schedule that can be prescribed. Each spa is unique in that fill water and bather load all vary. Take the time to learn about water chemistry (it is not difficult) within this forum and you will be on your way to creating your own schedule. If problems arise there are wonderfully helpful people here who can answer your questions. I am not one of those aforementioned people. I am like you; reading and grasping, even after owning a spa for a year.

You will likely find that there is no exact schedule that can be prescribed. Each spa is unique in that fill water and bather load all vary.

It must be possible to set up a few guidelines depending on each system for waterbalancing people use..........

I will try to make one for using our hot tub and post it here, so other people might profit from it as well.

I am travelling a lot and my wife, etc. should also be able to maintain the hot ub when I am away without spending hours of reading, etc.

You will likely find that there is no exact schedule that can be prescribed. Each spa is unique in that fill water and bather load all vary.

It must be possible to set up a few guidelines depending on each system for waterbalancing people use..........

I will try to make one for using our hot tub and post it here, so other people might profit from it as well.

I am travelling a lot and my wife, etc. should also be able to maintain the hot ub when I am away without spending hours of reading, etc.

There are guidelines and since you are using bromine they are fairly simple. I think what is being stated is that depending on spa use will differ how often you are doing certain steps. You learn as you use the spa to what is working best for you such as shocking 1,2 or 3 times a week, testing chemistry weekly or every other day ect.

Also I I read your list again you should add bromide to it. When you start a tub on bromine tablets it is best to use sodium bromide to form a reserve or it will be a few days before you get enough bromine in the tub from the tablets dissolving to have a bromine level. I have heard some people crush a few bromine tablets up and through that in to get a bromine level, not sure how well that works. Sodium bromide will form bromine as soon as you use shock.