Help! Water Table Issues

robert1312

I am hoping that all of the wisdom on this forum can help guide me in the right direction regarding a water issue.

We have made the commitment to install a liner pool and began to dig today only to hit water at about 7'. It's obvious that a liner is not a viable option at this point and our pool builder has assured me that although there is no way around the water table issue the option of a gunite pool is still a viable option.

A lttle more background:

1. 18x36

2. auto cover (this is a must for us so a rectagle style vs a free form was our best alternative cost wise.

3. 8' 6" deep. (We have two boys, 11 and 16, and feel that at this point in our lives a swimming pool without a diving board simply isn't a pool)

4. Salt system

5. heated

According to the pool builder, the installation of a drain rock bed along with hydrostatic drains in the bottom of a gunite pool will cure all of the water table issues, but I am still concerned. Because a liner pool requires a 2' overdig, the pool buildier will have to form up a template around the areas that have already been overdug for the gunite form. (pool is about half way dug)

So I am absorbing as much as I can about gunite pools in a short period here becuase we need to make a decision.

What is the life expectancy of a gunite versus a liner?

I have heard that a salt system is extremely hard on a gunite pool but I know at least 3 pools in the area that have this set up.

What kind of maintenence are we to expect with a gunite pool?

What are the "downside" aspects of a gunite versus a liner system?

I can't help but feel a bit like we've gotten ourselves in way over our head with this unexpected issue and we should fill the hole in and forget the whole idea. My kid will be disappointed.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

thanks in advance

Now if you hit water at 7' why cant your builder install a vinyl lined pool but can install a gunite one. The drainage issue would still be the same. Your pool walls should already be half up if you ve begun diggin already. Either way the will have to install a weep system and have a diaphragm pump running the whole time of installation till the water is in the pool.

I don't see any reason that the pool builder can't proceed with a Vinyl liner. All that needs to be done is to put in a few well points and some gravel around the area to keep it dry until the pool is full. Once the pool is full, the water in the pool will have enough pressure to hold everything in place.

The pool builder should have known the water table and not have been surprised by hitting water. It almost seems to me that the builder did this deliberately to get you involved and then force you to upgrade to the more expensive Gunite pool. Seems like a shady trick to me. How much more will the Gunite cost than the Vinyl liner.?

<_<

Agree with the above responses regarding water table and the need for well points. We had a liner pool installed this year (actually 2 pools after the first one was removed for not complying with local codes related to setback requirement - builders fault and nickel- not ours). The max depth on the pool is 6 feet and the builder hit water at 24 inches. Well points were used to keep the area dry and well point lines were installed for future use if necessary (i.e. liner changes, etc).

One other comment regarding a diving board and an 8'6" depth - seems to be too shallow to me so you should perhaps ask for other opinions. Also, you should check with your insurance carrier. Mine told me in no uncertain terms that a diving board or a slide would nullify coverage. In fact, she said that insurance companies sere sending letters to policy holders informing them that either had to be removed by certain dates or policies would be cancelled. This was in the New Jersey shore area.

Agree with the above responses regarding water table and the need for well points. We had a liner pool installed this year (actually 2 pools after the first one was removed for not complying with local codes related to setback requirement - builders fault and nickel- not ours). The max depth on the pool is 6 feet and the builder hit water at 24 inches. Well points were used to keep the area dry and well point lines were installed for future use if necessary (i.e. liner changes, etc).

One other comment regarding a diving board and an 8'6" depth - seems to be too shallow to me so you should perhaps ask for other opinions. Also, you should check with your insurance carrier. Mine told me in no uncertain terms that a diving board or a slide would nullify coverage. In fact, she said that insurance companies sere sending letters to policy holders informing them that either had to be removed by certain dates or policies would be cancelled. This was in the New Jersey shore area.

Holy cow! We had two pools installed last year - the first one had structural problems, no setback issues. The builder made good. Join the club!