What Is It Like In The Winter(for You Northerners)

ChicagoMike

I got my Jacuzzi about 10 days ago and it has been in the 80s or higher and humid. First night in the tub I had it at 101 and after a few minutes I was all sweaty and my face flushed. Sitting in the cool off seat didn't help much. A few nights like that and I set it for 96. this felt like a bath tub, not very refreshing. Then I set it for 87 and for a few hot days it was refreshing, like a pool, but not too good for $7,000. I was actually wondering what have I gotten into :wacko:

Yesterday the temp dropped around here and I put the tub at 100. It was about 65 last night when we got in and that was nice. I can only imagine how good it will feel in the winter.

Then I started wondering if it is 20F outside, what is it like to use a spa? I guess you are freezing as you approach the tub and it feels awesome to get in. Does your hair freeze? How about when you get out? Soaking wet, 20F outside, maybe some wind. Bathing suit is dripping wet, we don't don't usually go inside until semi dried off. How does this work out?

I got my Jacuzzi about 10 days ago and it has been in the 80s or higher and humid. First night in the tub I had it at 101 and after a few minutes I was all sweaty and my face flushed. Sitting in the cool off seat didn't help much. A few nights like that and I set it for 96. this felt like a bath tub, not very refreshing. Then I set it for 87 and for a few hot days it was refreshing, like a pool, but not too good for $7,000. I was actually wondering what have I gotten into :wacko:

Yesterday the temp dropped around here and I put the tub at 100. It was about 65 last night when we got in and that was nice. I can only imagine how good it will feel in the winter.

Then I started wondering if it is 20F outside, what is it like to use a spa? I guess you are freezing as you approach the tub and it feels awesome to get in. Does your hair freeze? How about when you get out? Soaking wet, 20F outside, maybe some wind. Bathing suit is dripping wet, we don't don't usually go inside until semi dried off. How does this work out?

Winter use is the best IMO. Going out to the tub can be a bit chilly, but soaking in it is great. Super windy and really cold, I usually stay in, but most days are great. Yes your hair will freeze from the mist, but it does not feel bad. Going back to the house you don't have to run. After soaking your body at 104 it feels good to be in the cool air. No swimsuits allowed in our tub, so we don't have the issue of wet dripping suits. Just the towel and robes right inside our door.

Just got my spa a month ago and was wondering the same thing, being in MN.

I even considered getting one of those towel warmers. My spa is in the back half of my garage

with a floor drain, so I'm not worried about the wind. I just hope the steam doesn't make

my garage floor a skating rink...wait, that would be pretty cool though...my own indoor rink.

Be careful in a garage if you store tools ect. We have seen where the moisture has built up and rusted tools ect including the inside of the garage door. Make sure to vent via window or open the door a bit.

There is a point where it is to cold though. 20 above is awesome. 10 above isn't bad either and at those temps frozen hair won't be an issue as the rising steam and warmth will prevent that. Once 0 and below 0 is reached it can get uncomfortable. and at -20 it is not pleasent for me but some still enjoy it. About 0 to -5 is the bottom end for me with 10-30 absolutly beautiful tubbing temp. Crystal clear skys, northern lights, that dead winter silence, light fluffy snow flakes and soaking at 102....ahhhhhhhhhhh

Be mindfull of ice build up outside your tub. Put a rug down to soak up the water from your feet and bring it in to dry for the next time. No suits if possible and store your towels in a cooler after you nuke them for 5 minutes. Use a robe, and a hat if it is real cold. Get yourself a snow broom to remove snow from your cover to prevent ice under the snow. And be diligent with removing snow from your cover as once it gets built up you will be bummed you didn't remove it.

I'll chime in with the Winter preference, I definately overheat too much this time of year when in the tub - just short soaks to loosen up the knees. The only drawback is the extra shoveling here in Rochester NY to make a path to the tub in the winter.

Note to Steeler Pete: After seeing your photos it's too bad your female friend does not follow Hillbilly Hot Tubs' swimsuit rules. ;) .

Greg.

There is a point where it is to cold though. 20 above is awesome. 10 above isn't bad either and at those temps frozen hair won't be an issue as the rising steam and warmth will prevent that. Once 0 and below 0 is reached it can get uncomfortable. and at -20 it is not pleasent for me but some still enjoy it. About 0 to -5 is the bottom end for me with 10-30 absolutly beautiful tubbing temp. Crystal clear skys, northern lights, that dead winter silence, light fluffy snow flakes and soaking at 102....ahhhhhhhhhhh

Be mindfull of ice build up outside your tub. Put a rug down to soak up the water from your feet and bring it in to dry for the next time. No suits if possible and store your towels in a cooler after you nuke them for 5 minutes. Use a robe, and a hat if it is real cold. Get yourself a snow broom to remove snow from your cover to prevent ice under the snow. And be diligent with removing snow from your cover as once it gets built up you will be bummed you didn't remove it.

I have found on those real cold and windy days (0 to -5), one of those knit hats takes the chill away.

On warmer days (32F +) it will actually make me too warm. Sounds obvious, but took me a few soaks in real cold weather to figure it out.

We are leaving the Smoky Mountains where there is a rather mild climate moving to northern Indiana where it is very cold in the winter. We sold our house here...including the hot tub, and want to get a new one for our house in Indiana. I have also wondered about the winter months. I'm not worried about being comfortable in the hottub in cold weather, but wondering what we will run into in terms of care of the hottub. How do you prevent large snows from being a problem with the cover. We may be gone most years in January and February also. I think we would prefer to drain the tub rather than have family or friends come and take care of it...particular on chance the power would go out. Has anyone drained a tub in the winter? What kind of challenges does that raise?

We're looking forward to this.....just want to make sure we understand what we're getting into and how to deal with it. We miss our hottub terribly and can't wait for the next one. We have thought of a small one for two....that we might actually be able to move from the deck under the porch located next to it while we are gone a couple of months....

Bill

We are leaving the Smoky Mountains where there is a rather mild climate moving to northern Indiana where it is very cold in the winter. We sold our house here...including the hot tub, and want to get a new one for our house in Indiana. I have also wondered about the winter months. I'm not worried about being comfortable in the hottub in cold weather, but wondering what we will run into in terms of care of the hottub. How do you prevent large snows from being a problem with the cover. We may be gone most years in January and February also. I think we would prefer to drain the tub rather than have family or friends come and take care of it...particular on chance the power would go out. Has anyone drained a tub in the winter? What kind of challenges does that raise?

We're looking forward to this.....just want to make sure we understand what we're getting into and how to deal with it. We miss our hottub terribly and can't wait for the next one. We have thought of a small one for two....that we might actually be able to move from the deck under the porch located next to it while we are gone a couple of months....

Bill

I'm no expert, but I've read that if you are planning on draining the tub in the winter, pay someone from the dealer to do the job to insure that all the water is out the pipes for freezing. I have a new Arctic Summit with the Onzen system and you hardly ever adds chemicals to the tub because the system makes it's own sanitizer, and if your gone that long you could turn the tub temp. down and it would be fine when you got back. The snow on the cover is no problem if you keep on top of it when it snows. We found that in the winter we used the tub less during the week, but then on the weekend we would be in the tub for a couple of hours. Look at Arctic when your shopping, you will be happy you did.

Pete :rolleyes:

The best time by far is the winter. I remember going into my friends' tub about 10 years ago for the first time outside and in the winter, and it was awesome. Its even better if its lightly snowing out. The colder outside the better, getting into the and out of the tub sucks, but once you are in its like heaven.

I live in Massachusetts, so we get some nasty winters, usually in the 20s and 30s and occasionally it dips into the teens or lower.

I use my tub less in the summer than I do in the winter. It's great to walk out an a 20 degree day, flip open the cover, and hop in. I usually don't use my tub when it's below 10 degrees. However, I might have to try the hat idea. That would take care of the head freezing problem for me.

"Perfect tubbing weather" is one of the few positive things I can say about winter in New England, anymore. I laughingly tell my friends that an outdoor hot tub should be required by code for winter survival in Massachusetts! Once the outdoors temperature consistently dips below 50F, after sunset, a nightly soak is routine in my household. As dave nh expressed upthread, the only time soaking can be unpleasant is when it's windy out and then it is the absolute pits. Before I got my tub, I had grandiose plans for building an electrified "warmbox" to keep towels in tubside when emerging from a soak but I've found that, after soaking in 104F water for 15 - 30 minutes, I stay plenty warm enough when I get out to close the cover, lock it and walk ten feet into the house to towel off that there's no need for warmed towels. And you owe it to yourself to follow Hillbilly's lead and leave your swimsuit in the dresser drawer.

Cold weather hot tubing is the best. At our house, we generally take a couple of beers out with us and in the cold weather, you don't need a cooler. It is even better when there is a light snow falling. The snow will stack up on your head, but you won't care. A couple words of caution, first watch out for a frozen slick patch on the deck around the hot tub from the water freezing as it evaporates from the tub, and also watch for excessive evaporation from your time out in the tub. So adding water is usually neccesary every 2nd or 3rd time you use it depending on how long you stay in it. Plus once in the thing, you will not want to leave, but surprizingly, when you do leave, there is a sort of buffer between the time you leave and the time you freeze.

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions as to what to put down on the floor on the path between the hot tub and your house?

To get from my house to my hot tub, I unfortunately need to 10ft on the deck go up a stairway and another 10 ft on the upper deck. So I'm a bit worried about the safety of coming up the stairs if it gets wet and slippery.

A few ideas I'm contemplating:

Putting down some rubbery 'mesh' mat the whole path

Putting a little propane heater by the hot tub to help keep warn while we completely dry ourself

Lay a heated wire that are used on roof. Not sure how I will shovel the snow with that around.

Put a warning sign up

Bottom line, I'm not too happy with any of those ideas. i'm not sure they will really work and I'll still end up with a slippery path or something hard to shovel.

Any ideas or ingenious solutions?

Any suggestions as to what to put down on the floor on the path between the hot tub and your house?

I'm looking at putting one of these outdoor heaters in my hot tub area to both melt the snow and keep myself and my guests warm and happy during the cold months.

http://www.electricpatiospaceheaters.com/i...red-heaters.htm

Tons of variety and choices your really only limited by your budget. I'm still working out wether I'm going electric or gas but I should have something up before December I hope.

Cheers

To get from my house to my hot tub, I unfortunately need to 10ft on the deck go up a stairway and another 10 ft on the upper deck. So I'm a bit worried about the safety of coming up the stairs if it gets wet and slippery.

A few ideas I'm contemplating:

Putting down some rubbery 'mesh' mat the whole path

Putting a little propane heater by the hot tub to help keep warn while we completely dry ourself

Lay a heated wire that are used on roof. Not sure how I will shovel the snow with that around.

Put a warning sign up

Bottom line, I'm not too happy with any of those ideas. i'm not sure they will really work and I'll still end up with a slippery path or something hard to shovel.

Any ideas or ingenious solutions?

I don't know how rich you are, but they do make heated rubber mats that can be used outdoors.

http://www.commercialmatsandrubber.com/c15...n-Mat-p178.html

They are expensive though.

I use some rubber play mats at the base of my tub steps, just to keep my feet from freezing to the concrete. However, these things can slide on ice, so I'm not sure that I would use them as a complete walkway.

http://www.amazon.com/24-Playmats-set-of-4/dp/B000067QXC