Another Spa-newbie Needs Help With Water Chemistry

BlueSpa

I was very happy to find your EXCELLENT site with loads of information on spa ownership. Thought I had everything worked out and I was off to a new spa store to get some Cal-Hypo to use rather than dichlor, but then the folks at the spa store tested my water . . . here’s the issue:

We hooked up our 750gal spa about a month ago with our well water. We have an ozonator and decided to use Chlorine sanitation. HTH test strips said the hardness levels were low, adjusted the TA, pH, and added some dichlor along with the stain & scale and natural & clear stuff that came with the spa. Well the instructions that came with the spa didn’t have us using enough dichlor and of course I was the one that came up with the spa itch :angry: , but after super chlorinating (which also was part of the mineral cartridge activation steps so we decided to use it too) and shocking with MPS the water has been clear now and no more itchies!

My confusion is with the hardness levels -

– on 07/25 the results from a spa store WaterLink water test lab showed the Hardness = 10ppm. The results said it needed 1.5 lbs but I just started with one bottle (think it was 16oz) of Calcium Chloride and gradually over several days added the contents. Water clear and we continued adding small amounts of dichlor when we got out – enough to keep it at about 3ppm Cl and shocking once a week with MPS.

– on 08/13 took a sample to a different WaterLink test lab, Hardness now = 90ppm which was about what I’d expected after adding the bottle of CaCl. Water wonderful and clear, HTH test strips confirm the hardness levels .

– on 08/14, after finding your site and deciding to start using Cal-hypo to keep the CY levels stable, I went to a different spa store and had them do their BioGuard water testing. Hardness now, the NEXT DAY = 224. Thought it was just lousy testing but the Hach AquaChek7 test strips I bought from them clearly confirm the higher levels, with 0-100-250-500-1000 color match points and it clearly comes up at 250. (Yes, I’m going to order the Taylor K2006 test kit today!!)

They didn’t have any Cal-hypo for me to add, but I wouldn’t have used anyway until I can figure out what’s going on with the results. Didn’t know if the mineral cartridge adds to the hardness levels?? Was planning to add the Cal-hypo when getting out each day then shocking once a week or so with MPS and watching the hardness levels so they didn’t get too high but certainly can’t if I’m starting with levels this high so am sticking with the dichlor for now. Water is clear and wonderful but would appreciate any suggestions as my CY levels are slowly going up as expected (now at 25).

Thanks!!