Oops - I Backwashed My Pool Overnight.

Brianmonty

You must have a huge pool - if I left my pump on backwash for that length of time my 16x32 pool would probably be almost empty.

Short term - take a sample to a local pool store. Long term - buy a good test kit, like the Taylor K-2006 that so many here use and rave about. Search this forum for K-2006 and you'll find links to info and a cheap retail source (I bought from SPS for ~ $60 w/ shipping, which was considerably cheaper than ordering direct from Taylor Technologies (Taylor itself suggests it's cheaper to order from retailers than direct). Takes maybe 10 mins to test everything (chlorine, pH, total alkalinity, calcium hardness and cyanuric acid). Simple to use, virtually no possibility of misinterpreting results and very accurate - much more accurate than pool store tests.

If that pump ran for several hours you will need to take the filter apart and inspect the grids. Running water backwards thur the filter for a long time like that blows the nylon sheath off the skeleton and could damage the grids not to mention the debris that is impregnated on the inside of the grids. Hopefully, that will blow off when its put back into operation in the correct direction. other wise they would need to be acid washed/soaked. (worst case)