Any Decent Products In $5-6k Range?

Today we looked at spas from Calspas and Gulf Coast. We are considering purchasing the Gulf Coast, but after looking through this forum that doesn't seem like such a great idea. Is it possible to purchase a decent quality spa in the $5-6K range? Which brands should we be looking at? How about purchasing online from Home Depot or Sam's Club? Thanks!

Sam's, HD, Costco..... all the way! I bet you can get a better price than 6K too! I hope I get my reply in first, because the list of big box bashers in here will soon fill up the pages of this post. I (unlike many in this forum) believe value can be found from big box stores (Costco, Sams, HD). I do not believe that Hot Tub dealers are the "honest, not in it for the money, soft cuddly teddy bear's" some of them claim to be. They make a living by selling you something for more than they paid for it, any one of them that claims they aren't .... lies. Nothing against people making a living, but that is how retail works. They also seem to think that simple chemistry (101) is some kind of magical wonder that only a hot tub dealer understands. All that talk about Ozone (O3) and Water (H2O) and Peroxide (H2O2)...and pH..?......(give up yet? better call a dealer!)....lol...To be honest I also think that some of the big box stores sell junk, because people will buy junk, especially if it's cheap.

1. Drawback: not seeing what your getting up close (most of the time) and is only an option if the big box store has the model you want to order on display. I got mine from Costco (in store) so I knew exactly what I was getting, got to sit in it etc. I am happy with my purchase. If you search around these forums you'll find people who purchased online, and only saw a picture of what they were getting before it arrived at the house. Some of these folks are happy, and some aren't.

2. No matter who you buy it from, research the product (here and other sites) before you commit, so you know what to expect, and know the kind of reputation the manufacturer has for warranty, parts, etc.... Sometimes big box stores will carry a major product for a "limited time" or a "special offering" from a well known manufacturer. This in my opinion is like finding ca$h money on the street! There are some really good manufacturers out there, and you have to know who the good ones are. They also sell cheap crap to get rid of it, and you have to know the difference.

3. If you want someone to help you with water, delivery, advice, Chem 101, then you'll need to go to a dealer, but be prepared for sticker shock if you have been looking at a lot of online deals! Personally my experience with Hot Tub dealers has been like shopping for used cars (everyone trying to get as much cash out of me as possible, and giving as little in return for it as they could) That's why I went the Costco route. I had been to every dealer in the area (NM) and it was like greasy car salesman heaven. Remember dealers have to pay for a store front, employees, lights, gas, water, shipping, etc.... They're overhead is costing you money in the end. Some people like to have that dealer support / experience, but other DIY folks get along just fine without it. So judge what support you feel you might need, based on your DIY experiences of the past.

4. Remember big box stores don't sell the "top of the line" stuff. What they have is designed to sell at a specific price. If that is okay with you (it was with me) then enjoy. My attitude is the water gets just as hot in a 5K tub as it does in a 10K tub and if you've never owned one before, then 50 jets may not be as good as 100 jets, but it is way better than the "0" jets you have now!

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to make sure I gave you full and honest feedback of my experience with big box vs. dealers.

P.S. Never buy chemicals from a dealer... You thought their tubs were expensive (watch your wallet). Look online (lots of online chemical retail stores like spa depot etc...) and you'll save about 70%.

Two Cents delivered!

BTW I specifically did not address the brands, companies etc...my only goal was to express opinions, and to say "find the best price for what you want and go for it". Do the research, and enjoy the tub. Remember to go into it with an open mind, and don't be blinded by the shiny buttons, bright lights, magical music, or the big scientific terms like Ozone....lol

Sam's, HD, Costco..... all the way! I bet you can get a better price than 6K too! I hope I get my reply in first, because the list of big box bashers in here will soon fill up the pages of this post. I (unlike many in this forum) believe value can be found from big box stores (Costco, Sams, HD). I do not believe that Hot Tub dealers are the "honest, not in it for the money, soft cuddly teddy bear's" some of them claim to be. They make a living by selling you something for more than they paid for it, any one of them that claims they aren't .... lies. Nothing against people making a living, but that is how retail works. They also seem to think that simple chemistry (101) is some kind of magical wonder that only a hot tub dealer understands. All that talk about Ozone (O3) and Water (H2O) and Peroxide (H2O2)...and pH..?......(give up yet? better call a dealer!)....lol...To be honest I also think that some of the big box stores sell junk, because people will buy junk, especially if it's cheap.

1. Drawback: not seeing what your getting up close (most of the time) and is only an option if the big box store has the model you want to order on display. I got mine from Costco (in store) so I knew exactly what I was getting, got to sit in it etc. I am happy with my purchase. If you search around these forums you'll find people who purchased online, and only saw a picture of what they were getting before it arrived at the house. Some of these folks are happy, and some aren't.

2. No matter who you buy it from, research the product (here and other sites) before you commit, so you know what to expect, and know the kind of reputation the manufacturer has for warranty, parts, etc.... Sometimes big box stores will carry a major product for a "limited time" or a "special offering" from a well known manufacturer. This in my opinion is like finding ca$h money on the street! There are some really good manufacturers out there, and you have to know who the good ones are. They also sell cheap crap to get rid of it, and you have to know the difference.

3. If you want someone to help you with water, delivery, advice, Chem 101, then you'll need to go to a dealer, but be prepared for sticker shock if you have been looking at a lot of online deals! Personally my experience with Hot Tub dealers has been like shopping for used cars (everyone trying to get as much cash out of me as possible, and giving as little in return for it as they could) That's why I went the Costco route. I had been to every dealer in the area (NM) and it was like greasy car salesman heaven. Remember dealers have to pay for a store front, employees, lights, gas, water, shipping, etc.... They're overhead is costing you money in the end. Some people like to have that dealer support / experience, but other DIY folks get along just fine without it. So judge what support you feel you might need, based on your DIY experiences of the past.

4. Remember big box stores don't sell the "top of the line" stuff. What they have is designed to sell at a specific price. If that is okay with you (it was with me) then enjoy. My attitude is the water gets just as hot in a 5K tub as it does in a 10K tub and if you've never owned one before, then 50 jets may not be as good as 100 jets, but it is way better than the "0" jets you have now!

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to make sure I gave you full and honest feedback of my experience with big box vs. dealers.

P.S. Never buy chemicals from a dealer... You thought their tubs were expensive (watch your wallet). Look online (lots of online chemical retail stores like spa depot etc...) and you'll save about 70%.

Two Cents delivered!

BTW I specifically did not address the brands, companies etc...my only goal was to express opinions, and to say "find the best price for what you want and go for it". Do the research, and enjoy the tub. Remember to go into it with an open mind, and don't be blinded by the shiny buttons, bright lights, magical music, or the big scientific terms like Ozone....lol

The only thing you missed (otherwise good post) is the fact that all the big box stores have all the exact expenses as the dealers, as you mentioned them. But they don't have warranty, floor space or trained salesman to explain products, factory trained after sales service techs or any of those dealer costs that they can cut out of there price. They throw those costs mentioned in your price to you on the tubs they sell also. And they get there tubs for alot less because manufacturers make comprimises in quality to achieve the price point asked by the store.

I am getting the largest Jacuuzi in the 200 series(J-280) for $7K with plenty of options and accessories, delivered and all. The dealer had a few lesser priced Jacuuzis, and the some Cal Spa models and then Viking that were lower priced too. They all seemed like "decent products" so you should be able to find something.

yeah here's an idea that may or may not be of interest to you...find out what you would want to buy new, narrow it down to about 3 or 4 different spas, then watch craigslist.org like a hawk for "gently used" spas that are 1 or 2 years old that the owner is selling because they need cash or moving, or whatever. If you get a good feeling dealing with the owner selling on craigslist, you might find a great spa in the 3k-5k range that once sold for 7k or more? Obviously, there are risk/reward factors going this route, but this might be a good option if you are a good judge of character and a great DIYer.

We thought about going this route...but we wanted to buy new and get the 5 year warranty on our new spa, as we had leaks with our old one...

We also looked at the MAXX line by Coleman and they had a few spas that were selling around 6k that were pretty impressive. If you haven't checked these out its worth a look?

good luck!

widespreadhawk mentioned the coleman spas. I have a friend who got a great price and loves his. Check them out for sure. Avoid anything sold by Wal-Mart. The guy who delivered my tub for me also repairs and sells used tubs, you could probably find a used tub from from someone like that who has experience in the industry and save some $$.

I'd also like to apologize to any dealers I may have offended with my previous post (since it had been quoted, I chose not to edit it). I came across as dealer bashing, and that was too strong. All dealers are not like the ones I have to deal with in my area, and I am sorry I painted them all with that brush. In my defense I am just frustrated that in order to get a tub from one of the big 4, you have to go to a dealer 99% of the time. I just wish this industry would get into the 21st century and realize that I can order a new car online, without ever having to talk to a salesman, but not a big 4 (manufacturers) hot tub.... It's frustrating for a cyber-guy like myself, and certainly not the fault of any dealers reading this, who offer their assistance in these forums....Sorry

The big box stores sell a varitey of different spas. For the most part, they lower end spas with little to no service.

Are they a good deal? thats up to you to decide. Typically the big box stores offer budget spas at a fair, budget price.

Funny, the pros on line here try and warn folks about the lower quality big box stores, and many folks here will discount those warnings and claim they don't know what theyre talking about. BUT- as soon as they have a probelm where do they go? Right here to ask the same deaslers and techs they accused of being ignoant, but now are asking them for help anywhere form how to balance the chemicals, or about pads, electrical work and to even repairs. ;)

amazing.

My advice is to wait, save up a bit and buy the quality spa you really want. A high quality spa from a good dealer will last you a long time and be very efficent (a budget spa can cost much much more to heat in the winter than the "pretty good" spa at the super center.) Research, do you homework, WET TEST and spend your money wisely.

Today we looked at spas from Calspas and Gulf Coast. We are considering purchasing the Gulf Coast, but after looking through this forum that doesn't seem like such a great idea. Is it possible to purchase a decent quality spa in the $5-6K range? Which brands should we be looking at? How about purchasing online from Home Depot or Sam's Club? Thanks!

Great Lakes, Nordic, @Home from D1, Everyday Line from Marquis, Emerald, Hot Spot just to name a few.

I recently purchased a new FreeFlow RLX spa for $2995 at the local dealer.

Unless you are a hardcore spa enthusiast, this brand is pretty nice and I would

consider it better than decent quality. I try to approach this from a simple point of view,

I need a tub with warm water and a few jets, shouldn't cost $5k - $6k :P

When it comes to deciding whether the spa you chose was the a wise idea its a marathon, not a sprint. You'll know how good a choice it was years down the line when you can look back at it and say how well it held up. There are some brands whose spas hold up regularly into their 15th, 18th, 20th year. They were top of the line stuff when they were built and it shows through the years. Lesser spas just don't hold up as well but then again you can argue that you paid less so you don't expect them to. The question then becomes how do they perform through those years. Do you have to baby them along or are they robust?

Most fall in love with the price tag on the big box store spas (and I fully understand that) but their price is appropriate, it isn't a steal. You'll have to wonder who will service them when issues arise. If you're going that route just make sure you're a REAL DIYer and make sure you insulate them better because the way they come you'll be paying an extra $50/month or maybe $60 or $80... to run versus a well insulated spa. You can get some of that back with some work.

If you are placing a hot tub outside and are in an area that's freezes then I'd be hesitent to go with the buget spas. Get a well made spa that wont break the bank to keep hot in the dead of winter. I've seen lower endspas that can cost 3x to heat in the dead of winter vs a quality spa.

Also keep in mind reliability. A small leak in the dead of winter can be a big problem.

Honestly, give your local dealers a chance. I have seen some of the tubs at the box stores, but it would scare me that they don’t carry them year round & have no salesperson to actually talk to. When we were ready to buy last year, our local dealer gave us a great deal, with a full warranty, delivery & 2 years of chemicals (yes, 2 years). We don’t like a lot of jets, so the Tiger River line worked out very well for us. We got a brand new tub for $4300, which is used almost every day flawlessly.

Certainly consider the box stores, but factor in the fact that you will get what you pay for. Also, if hot tubs are more then a passing fancy for you, you will end up needing to build a relationship with your local dealer anyway. They will answer all your questions & help you out year round. Let the box stores do what they do best… which is sell you 5000 plastic cups & 25lb bags of cornflakes, not big ticket items. Every time I have bought chemicals or equipment (thermometer, skimmer, etc) I have ended up replacing in sooner with a dealer product.

I have no vested interest in either, but I do tend to favor professionals.

Good Luck!

Thanks to all who responded. I am definitely not trying to buy champagne for the price of beer, just overwhelmed by the wide array of manufacturers and price points on the market and wondering at the reasons for the disparity. I'm planning to hit some local dealers this weekend.

My take on the big box stores...I work in IT for a well-known US manufacturer. We have a high-end consumer products line which is sold primarily through dealers. We do sell some of lower-priced products through a couple of big box outlets. The products we sell at the big box stores have the same quality as the high-end models, just not all the features. However, the big box store can offer a price lower than I can get with my employee discount because of their volume purchasing. I was wondering if the same model holds true in the spa industry.

We live in Minnesota, so the advice on budget spa performance is cold weather is very helpful.

Thanks for all your help!

Thanks to all who responded. I am definitely not trying to buy champagne for the price of beer, just overwhelmed by the wide array of manufacturers and price points on the market and wondering at the reasons for the disparity. I'm planning to hit some local dealers this weekend.

My take on the big box stores...I work in IT for a well-known US manufacturer. We have a high-end consumer products line which is sold primarily through dealers. We do sell some of lower-priced products through a couple of big box outlets. The products we sell at the big box stores have the same quality as the high-end models, just not all the features. However, the big box store can offer a price lower than I can get with my employee discount because of their volume purchasing. I was wondering if the same model holds true in the spa industry.

We live in Minnesota, so the advice on budget spa performance is cold weather is very helpful.

Thanks for all your help!

You might want to check out a local sundnace dealer and look at the 680 series.