Need Help...high Ta And Low Ph, Can't Fix! (no Help In Chemical Forums)

wolfgang

I need help in the worst way!

Fiberglass pool...18,200 gallons

I'm tired of playing the yo-yo game trying to get the TA and PH in line.

My TA was at 150 3 days ago and the ph was at 6.8. My local pool store told me to add Muratic Acid to get the TA in line first, which I did. (Added about 2 quarts over the period of 24 hours)

So, I got the TA to the 100 mark and started adding PH up to get the PH to at least 7.2 Finally after adding 6 lbs over the course of 24 hours got the PH all set to the 7.2 mark.

But......tested the water this morning and I'm right back where I started....except even worse! So darned frustrating! I'm now reading 170 TA and only 6.8 PH.

HELP ME! :wacko

• 8 months later...

pH up is sodium carbonate, it will raise both pH and TA! That is the problem. First get your TA in line by adding acid then raise your pH without affecting the TA by aerating the water. This will outgas carbon dixoide (carbonic acid) and your pH will rise. For more info read this.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=191

TA will move with pH. That is also part of the problem. You can also raise your pH with minimal impact on TA by using borax (the 20 mule team stuff in the green box at the grocery store). Use twice the amount that you would use for pH up. If you are worried about adding borax to your pool, don't be! Several companies sell it as a 'water enhancer' for a lot of money under such names as Supreme, Enhance, and Optimizer!