Hot Tub Totalled In Storm

My '08 Epic, which we got in mid-April, was totalled this past week in a storm. 10-12' long piece of tree limb came through the top of the cover like a spear -- right through the lounge seat area of the shell. Drained the entire tub in minutes. The cover lifter (metal) is bent also. Luckily, homeowners is covering it, but I'll be without a spa for a while. :angry:

Here's a couple of shots we took for the insurance company:

stormdamage8-4-08015.jpg

stormdamage8-4-08007.jpg

:( You have my sympathy!

You have been a respected, very good level headed source of advice for myself and I'm sure many other readers. Luckily your insurance covers it, and your new tub arrives soon. If there were things you didn't like about your first choice, (even though I think you took a long time making your decision, like myself, and sounded happy with it), consider this a second chance to make any changes! Thanks, Randy

man...that really sucks...good thing you have insurance but what a pain to deal with, especially on a brand new spa.

We wet tested the Epic, really liked the tower jet station on the side/middle - really cool feature. Are you going to reorder the exact same spa?

Good luck...at least it was just a spa and not a person that took that direct hit.

That's awful! At least you weren't storm watching in it at the time. Were you in last weeks tornados? How is your insurance doing by you?

We have a questionable tree near my screen room and the site of my future hot tub. I have images of it falling on it, but it is a great shade tree and the only one in the area. A tree expert said it "could" live for years.

Good luck, take mor epics of the damage for us morbid types.

Randy, thanks alot. Good comment, although there is really nothing about the Epic we don't like.

Widespread, I would like to order the same tub. I haven't been totally enthralled by our dealer, and the next nearest Marquis dealer is aobut 40 miles away. I absolutely love the Epic, though! I'm going to give our current dealer one more chance to impress. Since I bought this tub in April, I already referred him another buyer on a slightly smaller brand new Marquis. He hasn't returned 3 of my wife's calls for us to place the new order. HIis employees all know that we're ready to order, but say we have to talk to the manager. State Farm called us today to say the check is now in the mail, so I want to get the tub ordered. If he doesn't call back first thing, I'm going to threaten reaching out to the further Marquis dealer. If he gets snippy on the servicing issue (since he is the closer dealer), I would actually consider Jacuzzi or Hot Spring -- our second favorite tubs -- or even wet testing an Arctic, as I hear they now have a dealer in the area. Well, I don't want to worry aobut a hypothetical. Hopefully, he'll call tomorrow. The only thing we'll do differently is add a couple of spinning jets at one of the seats. We were talking about it anyway at next draining.

ChicagoMike (could have been my screen name too! :) ), I have a lot of trees along the back of my property. My wife and I were looking at "the one" about 3 weeks ago -- saying we should take it down sometime soon, as we knew if it came down it would hit the spa and/or house. Yes -- it was the storm a week ago today that got us. We are digging into our pockets and completely removing that tree (State Farm will only pay to clean up the parts that came down) and another tree that we could tell was dying. We should be a lot safer now. Although, there's a lot less shade in the yard now. But, the kids have much more room to run around as a result!

First I have to say: "OUCH" that sucks!

I am looking to buy a spa and went to the Marquis dealer yesterday and was very dissapointed, not by the spas, buy by the salesperson. They do not have a "spa" person there, he was from appliances in a store that shares the building with the spa business. After asking my questions, I decided this was not an option even though the product looks great. No wet testing. He told me it had a 130 hp pump. Cover was extra even though in the spec sheet it is part of the basic spa. He held up the starter chem bucket, which says "free with your new spa" in big letters and said this is $75. I asked him about getting different jets, and he did call and find out that it is an option but did not let me know how much extra that would be. They have only been in business for over a year and it sounds like they are trying to nickle and dime a few extra thousand into the sale. I dont have a lot of options here for dealers. Is Marquis worth the hastle of dealing with a dealer like this? <_<

Damm Parrothead... that absolutely blows. :huh::o Hopefully your replacement will come sooner than later. I also can't believe your dealer is giving you such hassle. I mean how many people buy TWO hot tubs in the span of a year? Your dealer should be bending over for more business.

I am curious to know, did you inform your homeowners insurance company when you bought the spa that you had it? Or is this spa just covered under your "personal belongings" portion of your policy?

I haven't told my insurance company yet and I am debating if I should. Insurance companies are dropping clients left and right here in Long Island. Apparently every insurance company thinks Long Island is due for "the big one" (hurricane) and the entire island will be wiped off the face of the map. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I don't want to tell them if I don't have to.

To Wylekioti: I own an Epic as well and it's DEFINITELY worth it going with Marquis. I would ask to speak to the dealer's owner/manager to try to get better service.

Not only will I be buying the second tub in a year, I sent a buddy to buy one from him.

As for the homeowners, I did call my agent when we got the tub to see if I needed to buy an endorsement. He said it was absolutely covered, with no endorsement needed.

And as for dealers, when the dealer called at 8 am, while I was in the shower and was allegedly "out in the field" 10 minutes later, I gave his assistant my office and cell phone numbers. At 4:00, when he still hadn't called back, I called the first Marquis dealer I had met -- when there wasn't a store nearby at the time -- who's 40 miles away, and asked him to price the tub for me. I think I'm going to order it from him. He's a much nicer guy.

DjPill, the dealer from whom I bought the tub said he'd cut it up and take it away. The further dealer said he'd take it for parts. I have a friend that wants it too.

Makeshift (I hate what they did to Favre), the only thing I might do differently is add a couple of spinning jets to one of the seats.

ChicagoMike, the salesman knows our tub is totalled. He's been promising for two weeks to fax an invoice and indicate that our tub is totalled. And he knows we're ready to order another tub. Can't get ahold of him. He's out.

And Markee, yes -- the tree put a hole in the shell about the size of a basketball. Destroyed two of the calf jets too.

...Makeshit (I hate what they did to Favre)...

Freudian slip or typo?