New Hottub Purchase Questions

locust43

Hi. I am new to the stand alone hot tubs. We already have an above ground pool using Baquacil and we have decided we want a hot tub to put in the garage. We found a great deal on one at Rec Warehouse called the Galaxy but I have a few concerns. It's pretty big, but it doesn't have a heater in it. The dealer said it just uses the existing motor heat to heat the water. And it has a max. temp of 102 and he said most are 104. But I think 102 is just fine. I live in Alabama so the winters are not too harsh, and it will be in the garage. Does anyone know if those can actually heat and maintain the temperature. And about the chemicals, since our pool uses Baquacil, should we use Baquaspa in the HotTub?

Here is a link to the HotTub in question

http://www.recwarehouse.com/Home/Spas/Roto...ies/Galaxy.aspx

Thanks for your help guys

Adding 260 gallons of cold water to a hot tub without a heater, I'm not sure, but I would think it would take a really really long time for the water to just get warm. Especially if it in a garage with no sunlight. I don't think it can be done. I would think that the only way to use that type of hot tub would be to put a solar cover on it and let the sun heat the water.

What is the point of buying a hot tub without a heater? Its just a tub then, with swirling water that is barely warm.

I'm not sure of the cost of this "hot tub", but I would spend more $ and at least get one with a heater. And if you spending more $ to get one with a heater, you might as well spend a little more $ and get a real "SPA".

I am not yet a spa owner, but have been looking at options to buy. I would not even consider something like this especially if you already own a pool. ( :lol: Just add a couple shower stools and mount a leaf blower on the edge! :D ) Cost of running a motor to heat the water alone would be insane. I would bet that if anyone bought one of these, after the novelty wore off in a month, it would become a fish pond or planter box or some place to throw all the grass clippings. Save your money and if you want a spa, there are other 110v portables that have a heater that are less that getting a quality one. On this forum, the most important thing mentioned to do before buying a spa is wet test and I agree. If you buy one to find out you can not comfortably sit in it or the jets are annoying or whatever, the use of the spa becomes a reminder that you made a mistake. Not a good way to relax and enjoy!

They way this tub heats is of a heat recovery/friction system from the pump. The pump runs basically non stop. This is a lot of wear on a pump, and becomes costly. It will take several days to heat this spa each time you do a water change. They do not hold up well outside. Being in a warm state and in a garage may help.

A 1.5 HP pump will not have lots of action or therapy, specially with 18 jets.

I would check if you do decide on it if you can use Baqa Spa. Baqa has issues with some types of plastics, eatting them away. Since this spa is a roto mold, all plastic, I would look into that.

I would look around before you decide. Know all your facts. These tubs play a certain role in the tub market, such as at your camper in a seasonal site, rental units for some dealers ect, but they are not for all.

Good Luck

Hi. I am new to the stand alone hot tubs. We already have an above ground pool using Baquacil and we have decided we want a hot tub to put in the garage. We found a great deal on one at Rec Warehouse called the Galaxy but I have a few concerns. It's pretty big, but it doesn't have a heater in it. The dealer said it just uses the existing motor heat to heat the water. And it has a max. temp of 102 and he said most are 104. But I think 102 is just fine. I live in Alabama so the winters are not too harsh, and it will be in the garage. Does anyone know if those can actually heat and maintain the temperature. And about the chemicals, since our pool uses Baquacil, should we use Baquaspa in the HotTub?

Here is a link to the HotTub in question

http://www.recwarehouse.com/Home/Spas/Roto...ies/Galaxy.aspx

Thanks for your help guys

I would be concerned if the motor is heating the hot tub. Isn't that like a car motor over heating? It doesn't make sense how that could be a safe thing to do.