Pump Only Runs On Low Speed, Not On High

merc80

I am a somewhat inexperienced spa tech working for the local pool store. A few weeks ago I was sent on a job to repair a customers spa the would only run the pump for about 30 seconds, then shut off. I diagnosed it as having a bad PCB. I replaced the PCB, and everything worked properly. A couple weeks later, the customer decided to drain and re-fill the spa. Since he has done that, the spa will only run 10-15 minutes on low, then shut itself off. The heater does not come on during this time. If the pump is turned to high speed, it will run less than a second before shutting down. The customer says that the water does circulate normally while the pump is running on low speed, so I don't think it's airlocked.

The spa manufacturer is out of business, so the only tech support available is from the control system manufacturer, Correct-tech. So far their support has been very underwhelming. They say it is most likely in freeze protect mode. The water temp is 70 according to the topside control. I also don't see why freeze protect would disable high speed, or shut down low speed after 10 minutes.

Anyone have any ideas? When I replaced the PCB I labeled every wire so everything is hooked up just like it had been. If it was mis-wired, why would the problem take so long to appear? The spa is 240V with #6 wire run to it.

The obvious answer is to go back to try and find the problem. The trouble with that is that this customer lives over an hour from the pool store. That means he will be charged about $150 just for my travel time, in addition to any time on the jobsite. He is somewhat reluctant to do this after spending about $900 on a new PCB recently.

FWIW, the topside control is flashing the water temp, alternating with - - -. According to Correct-Tech's online troubleshooting guide, that means there's a problem with the temp sensor. I don't see how that would cause the symptoms described.

I realize that I'm probably going to have to take at least one trip out there, what I'm trying to avoid is making two. Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

I am a somewhat inexperienced spa tech working for the local pool store. A few weeks ago I was sent on a job to repair a customers spa the would only run the pump for about 30 seconds, then shut off. I diagnosed it as having a bad PCB. I replaced the PCB, and everything worked properly. A couple weeks later, the customer decided to drain and re-fill the spa. Since he has done that, the spa will only run 10-15 minutes on low, then shut itself off. The heater does not come on during this time. If the pump is turned to high speed, it will run less than a second before shutting down. The customer says that the water does circulate normally while the pump is running on low speed, so I don't think it's airlocked.

The spa manufacturer is out of business, so the only tech support available is from the control system manufacturer, Correct-tech. So far their support has been very underwhelming. They say it is most likely in freeze protect mode. The water temp is 70 according to the topside control. I also don't see why freeze protect would disable high speed, or shut down low speed after 10 minutes.

Anyone have any ideas? When I replaced the PCB I labeled every wire so everything is hooked up just like it had been. If it was mis-wired, why would the problem take so long to appear? The spa is 240V with #6 wire run to it.

The obvious answer is to go back to try and find the problem. The trouble with that is that this customer lives over an hour from the pool store. That means he will be charged about $150 just for my travel time, in addition to any time on the jobsite. He is somewhat reluctant to do this after spending about $900 on a new PCB recently.

FWIW, the topside control is flashing the water temp, alternating with - - -. According to Correct-Tech's online troubleshooting guide, that means there's a problem with the temp sensor. I don't see how that would cause the symptoms described.

I realize that I'm probably going to have to take at least one trip out there, what I'm trying to avoid is making two. Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the temperature sensor problem. Make sure the probe is installed in the "dry well" and is not in the water or laying on the ground. The board needs the feedback from the probe.

• 12 years later...

This is a 12 year old thread. You are going to be better off starting your own thread.

The experts will be here shortly to help but they are going to need pictures of your equipment bay, pictures of the spa pack circuit board, any manufacturers data and all errors the top side is displaying.

Also try running it with the filters out and see if that helps.

• Like 1