Plumbing Questions

lrodptl

I just dug up the suction line of my inground pool and found at least 4 different leaks. I also discovered the fitting at the bottom of the skimmer crossthreaded and the skimmer threads damaged. It was probably leaking here since installation 25 years ago since it's 30" below concrete and the concrete is original. I have laid out new 2" rigid schedule 40 and plan to use the other fitting which was plugged and is 2" on the skimmer bottom. Any way to repair plastic threads so I can plug the damaged (1 1/2") hole and not have to worry? This fitting is plastic so PVC cement will fail. Should I just use a standard plug top and bottom and dry plug the fitting port? Thanks.

I just dug up the suction line of my inground pool and found at least 4 different leaks. I also discovered the fitting at the bottom of the skimmer crossthreaded and the skimmer threads damaged. It was probably leaking here since installation 25 years ago since it's 30" below concrete and the concrete is original. I have laid out new 2" rigid schedule 40 and plan to use the other fitting which was plugged and is 2" on the skimmer bottom. Any way to repair plastic threads so I can plug the damaged (1 1/2") hole and not have to worry? This fitting is plastic so PVC cement will fail. Should I just use a standard plug top and bottom and dry plug the fitting port? Thanks.

Your best bet might to use a winter rubber plub A number 10 should do it.

Shot i the dark here but fiberglass?

since you are already this far in make life a lot simpler bring the water level down and install a new skimmer. The skimmer is probably so brittle underneath that if you tried to rethread with a tap the area would probably crack. I see no reason to attach new plumbing to an old and ruined skimmer. Do it right the first time.

since you are already this far in make life a lot simpler bring the water level down and install a new skimmer. The skimmer is probably so brittle underneath that if you tried to rethread with a tap the area would probably crack. I see no reason to attach new plumbing to an old and ruined skimmer. Do it right the first time.

I'm way below the skimmer down to the other suction wall fitting (34" deep) which was teed off the skimmer. The skimmer is in good shape other than those damaged threads. I've already dry run 2" pipe to the other skimmer port and wall fitting. I'm going to double plug the 1 1/2" port and run it for a few days before filling the trench. We'll see.

I'm way below the skimmer down to the other suction wall fitting (34" deep) which was teed off the skimmer. The skimmer is in good shape other than those damaged threads. I've already dry run 2" pipe to the other skimmer port and wall fitting. I'm going to double plug the 1 1/2" port and run it for a few days before filling the trench. We'll see.

Got all the pipng in today,tomorrow the test!

Fingers are crossed for ya

Very frustrating. I had the hose filling the pool for 8 hours but did not realize it was kinked and so another day of waiting. Hope there's no other issue.

Up and running with no leaks so far. Filter pressure is now 17 at start up which is about 7 pounds higher than before. I upgraded to 2" rigid Sch 40 from 1 1/2" black flex. Seems like the 2 ninety degree and 1 45 degree bends are the culprit. Oh well.

Very frustrating. I had the hose filling the pool for 8 hours but did not realize it was kinked and so another day of waiting. Hope there's no other issue.

Up and running with no leaks so far. Filter pressure is now 17 at start up which is about 7 pounds higher than before. I upgraded to 2" rigid Sch 40 from 1 1/2" black flex. Seems like the 2 ninety degree and 1 45 degree bends are the culprit. Oh well.

FYI, they make flexible 1.5 and 2 inch PVC piping, much better then the black stuff

FYI, they make flexible 1.5 and 2 inch PVC piping, much better then the black stuff

I knew that but rigid was the preferred pipe by the installers I spoke to.

i would agree rigid is tougher but if you back fill with "good" dirt first there should not be a problem.

i would agree rigid is tougher but if you back fill with "good" dirt first there should not be a problem.

Do you mean sand?

Do you mean sand?

Pool now getting dirt returned again after I filled the trench around the skimmer earlier today. I'm baffled but there is dirt at the bottom of skimmer so somehow it's getting in then sucked in the suction port. Should have changed the skimmer I guess but have no idea how it attaches. More concrete cutting and digging,I'm beginning to hate this friggin pool.

Do you mean sand?

Pool now getting dirt returned again after I filled the trench around the skimmer earlier today. I'm baffled but there is dirt at the bottom of skimmer so somehow it's getting in then sucked in the suction port. Should have changed the skimmer I guess but have no idea how it attaches. More concrete cutting and digging,I'm beginning to hate this friggin pool.

I'm gonna fill the trench with food coloring/water and see if I can identify the source. It's gotta be the suction port fitting but I sprayed it with dye and water and nothing. Any other ideas?