The Onzen System

To any Arctic owners with Onzen, my new tub will be here in a couple of weeks and any advice or short cuts with the new Onzen system would be great. How's the system been for you? Is it easy to get a handle on? What if any problems you may have had with the system? Please provide any info you can. Thanks,

Pete :D :D

I am getting the Onzen system also. My should be here about 2-3 weeks after you get yours. Anything you discover during your setup or any do and don't you discover durning your setup, please pass along. I will be following in your footsteps. I have never even had a pool before so all this "keeping the water clean" stuff is new to me.

If you don't get any good info on Onzen before you get your spa, at least you can give me some info before I get mine.

Don't forget the rubber duckie..LOL....I hear its bad luck if a rubber duckie is not the first one in a brand new spa.

My dealer wasn't sure how to run his display Onzen and had it turned up too high. It had been 4 days before I was in his store, I could still smell the chlorine, heavily.

I hope he has insight for me when he delivers next Friday.

Thank you for your interest in our new Onzen system.

Arctic Spas provides an Onzen Support center for both dealers and customers. This center is open during our office hours of 08:00 - 16:30 Mountain Time, Monday to Friday.

You can access Onzen Support by telephone or by email. The contact information is in the Onzen manual.

The Startup directions on p. 3 of your Onzen manual supplement those on p. 7 and p. 28 of the NA owner manual. For Step 3, set filter cycle, please refer to p. 17 of your NA owner manual.

If you have any further questions, please consult your dealer or Onzen Support.

Tom, are there Arctic manuals available online? I would like to read up before my spa arrives.

Download a 2008 North American manual HERE

I'd like to be sure you have the 2008 warranty and READ it. It's not on the web site yet (don't know what's holding up the new site) but I'll send you a .pdf if you give me your email address in a private message. Just click my name over at the left and choose "Send Message".

It looks like I'll beat you guys. Getting my Glacier Signature delivered to my home on Wednesday morning. Then at noon the electrician will show up and connect 220. This tub also has the Onzen system. I'm replacing an older 9 year old Apollo hot tub.

Ill post on this form pictures and update you all on how the setup went.

Thanks Tom, the system looks as easy as they say ( using a microwave ), has there been any issues with the system in your prototype tubs to date, if so what have the issues been? We are so looking forward to the upgraded tub with the Onzen to reduce the amount of chemicals in the water, plus the salt adds to the therapy for the skin and joints. Thanks again,

Pete

Thanks Tom, the system looks as easy as they say ( using a microwave ), has there been any issues with the system in your prototype tubs to date, if so what have the issues been? We are so looking forward to the upgraded tub with the Onzen to reduce the amount of chemicals in the water, plus the salt adds to the therapy for the skin and joints. Thanks again,

Pete

Warranty problems on Onzen have been remarkably low. A recent memo from the warranty dept. said that only one electrode has been returned (in six months) and that most issues have turned out to be due to incorrect settings rather than technical problems. So it seems to be a good, stable system so far, reflecting the extensive R&D testing that went into it.

One issue is high sanitizer levels. It's important to realize that it may take a while for the system to reach proper sanitizer levels, so please follow the manual. Adding more salt, cranking up the dial, dumping in a bunch of Refresh, or increasing the filtration time will not speed up the process.. The only result of such actions will be excessive sanitizer levels which can discolor chrome parts (this can happen even in spas without Onzen) and this discoloration is not covered under warranty.

• 1 year later...
To any Arctic owners with Onzen, my new tub will be here in a couple of weeks and any advice or short cuts with the new Onzen system would be great. How's the system been for you? Is it easy to get a handle on? What if any problems you may have had with the system? Please provide any info you can. Thanks,

Pete :D :D

We purchased an Arctic Spa Glacier tub this summer. While we love the tub, I have nothing postive to say about the dealer. Bottom line is, they want your money, but once the tub has been delivered -- you are on your own. We have had issues with low chlorine levels on the Onzen system, and simply cannot get a straight answer from the dealer on how to come up with a permanent fix. Clearly this is because the technology is new and changing. During the sales process they tell you the Onzen system is virtually maintenance - free, however in reality there are so many variables that impact the level lof Chlorine, PH and Alkalinity that you need to be a Chemist to understand it. We are very frustrated.

Here are a few checks you can make on your onzen system:

1 - what is your cp setting?

2 - when onzen is on do you see very fine bubbles coming from onzen cell?

3 - do you shock your spa on a reguler basis?

Also just want to note I found when using test strips supplied with spa, never

was able to read proper chlorine levels. Get your self a taylor k-2006 kit.

We purchased an Arctic Spa Glacier tub this summer. While we love the tub, I have nothing postive to say about the dealer.

Yes - you need to be comfortable about your dealer's ability and commitment to provide after sales service. People need to do their homework before the purchase... Ask around and trust your instincts. (not suggesting you didn't piechart)

We have had issues with low chlorine levels on the Onzen system, and simply cannot get a straight answer from the dealer on how to come up with a permanent fix.

There are some troubleshooting tips on page 5 of the Onzen guide. Hopefully you have your Onzen guide. If not, get one from your dealer or Arcitc.

Make sure you test the salt level. The Onzen guide says the minimum is 2000 ppm. I have mine at 2400 and it works for me but don't go too high or you'll have bigger problems with wildly fluctuating PH and sanitizer levels.

We purchased an Arctic Spa Glacier tub this summer. While we love the tub, I have nothing postive to say about the dealer. Bottom line is, they want your money, but once the tub has been delivered -- you are on your own. We have had issues with low chlorine levels on the Onzen system, and simply cannot get a straight answer from the dealer on how to come up with a permanent fix. Clearly this is because the technology is new and changing. During the sales process they tell you the Onzen system is virtually maintenance - free, however in reality there are so many variables that impact the level lof Chlorine, PH and Alkalinity that you need to be a Chemist to understand it. We are very frustrated.

Hey Piechart,

Why don't you send me your spa # and I can contact you and help you with your water chemistry. It doesn't have to be too hard. I think I can clear up your confusion.

Kind regards,

James

• 11 months later...

Let me be the first person to go on record saying that a salt water system takes more understanding and time than using a microwave. That sounds like a very "sales-ey" think to say. Salt water systems have the potantial to be very easy to use, but they also have the potential to be compliated, frustrating and difficult to troubleshoot.

When my customers ask about salt systems I make sure they understand two things:

1) This is NOT a chlorine or bromine based sanitizer system. Salt is chemically related to chlorine / bromine. You are just making your own sanitizer via a miniature chemical recycling station.

2) Do not purchse a salt water system because it is maintenance free. Purchase a salt water system because you want the physical benefits that come from salt water sanitizer generators like softer skin, less smell and reduced red eyes / itchy skin.

If you want the salt system to provide a reduced maintenance schedule for your spa, then you will need to make some initial investments such as the investment in descaling chemicals, pre-filters and a high end test kit, but also time investment into water chemistry and how salt water systems work (and fail) in hot tubs. The more you understand water chemistry in spas the less time you will spend maintaining your water. No secret here. Except Aqua Finesse. Aqua finesse is the secret =)

I hope this information is helpful.

S.

Any salesman that trys to tell you ANY brand of spas is trouble free and practically takes care of itself should have his head held under water, or at miniumum won't mind putting in writing that he will personally come out to your house to solve water issues free of charge for the duration of the warranty.