Scale!

Hi there,

We just purchased a used hot tub and I'm doing in best in removing some old scale lines around the tub....keeping in mine that the seller has been moving his tub for the last 3 years without plugging it in!! It's pretty much set in at this time.

I tried water & vinegar (1:1), I tried Windex (Spa company said it worked....), I tried Hertel, and I finally I used CLR (diluted a bit with water).

I've scrubbed & scrubbed & scrubbed.... seems like it's going away and then, as soon as it dries up - it comes back!! Just like magic! :P

Tonight, I will give pure vinegar a try (the more acid the better it seems)!!

This is haunting me night & day... Hopefully, someone will have another suggestion!!

Chantal

Hi there,

We just purchased a used hot tub and I'm doing in best in removing some old scale lines around the tub....keeping in mine that the seller has been moving his tub for the last 3 years without plugging it in!! It's pretty much set in at this time.

I tried water & vinegar (1:1), I tried Windex (Spa company said it worked....), I tried Hertel, and I finally I used CLR (diluted a bit with water).

I've scrubbed & scrubbed & scrubbed.... seems like it's going away and then, as soon as it dries up - it comes back!! Just like magic! :P

Tonight, I will give pure vinegar a try (the more acid the better it seems)!!

This is haunting me night & day... Hopefully, someone will have another suggestion!!

Chantal

Give diluted muriatic acid a try. It is used to clean scale on tile in pools. It is strong and smells bad. Be careful and try a small section of the shell first. Bad news it may never come off

Give diluted muriatic acid a try. It is used to clean scale on tile in pools. It is strong and smells bad. Be careful and try a small section of the shell first. Bad news it may never come off

Thanks!! I thought about that but I wanted to try full strenght vinegar first....it does remove some of it.

I guess I need patience and some scrubbing effort :o

I won't stop until I'm successful!! haha

Thanks again.

Chantal

I have used stain and scale inhibitor on a sponge and it has removed it, but if it has been this hard to remove it might not come of. It may be that the "shine" on the acrylic has worn right off also. Have you tried spa gloss on a small spot to see what happens?

I have used stain and scale inhibitor on a sponge and it has removed it, but if it has been this hard to remove it might not come of. It may be that the "shine" on the acrylic has worn right off also. Have you tried spa gloss on a small spot to see what happens?

No, it's not the shine that worn off. It's scale. I was able to remove it where it's lighter.

The shine is 100% on the tub... never been outside in the sun, etc.

Thanks!

Chantal