Cartridge Filter

Deb04

Hi. We are putting in a pool for the first time and we are relying on our pool contractor's knowledge for a lot.

We are concerned about backwashing because we are surrounded by wetlands. We are uncomfortable putting large amounts of treated water where it will probably end up in the wetlands.

The pool guy had been encouraging us in to a DE filter. As we talked more about our reservations, he suggested a Sta-Rite cartridge filter.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of filter for an in ground pool?

Thanks.

I have a cartridge filter and am pretty happy with it. I went cartridge for similar reasons as the city would have required a separation tank with sand or DE for water reclaimation. Cleaning the tank is just as bad as the cartridge so I figured just go with the cartridge.

If you decide on going with cartridge, I would suggest getting the largest size possible. I did this and I clean it only twice a year and probably could get away with once a year. It takes only about an hour to clean it but I think it is better than backwashing every couple of weeks. Others will probably disagree but usually the same folks that had one that was too small and had to clean it often.

[EDIT] I was writing when Mark posted so basically give the same advice. [END-EDIT]

I don't have that brand of cartridge filter, but can give you the advice of getting an over-sized cartridge filter so that you don't need to clean it as often since that's a pain. For my 16,000 gallon pool I have a Jandy CL340 cartridge filter with 340 square feet and is rated for 45,720 gallons at 6 hour turnover. It has 4 filter elements (cartridges) in a large plastic filter housing.

I have an opaque electric pool cover that keeps a lot of junk out of the pool so am able to get away with cleaning the filter only once a year.

[EDIT] I was writing when Mark posted so basically give the same advice. [END-EDIT]

I don't have that brand of cartridge filter, but can give you the advice of getting an over-sized cartridge filter so that you don't need to clean it as often since that's a pain. For my 16,000 gallon pool I have a Jandy CL340 cartridge filter with 340 square feet and is rated for 45,720 gallons at 6 hour turnover. It has 4 filter elements (cartridges) in a large plastic filter housing.

I have an opaque electric pool cover that keeps a lot of junk out of the pool so am able to get away with cleaning the filter only once a year.

I like the Sta-Rite system 3 cartridge filters. They nice easy handle to loosen to make it easy to remove the filter top and clean the cartridges.

How long do those cadridges last?

Backwashing my filter doesnt usually help. Pressure builds up within 3 houres again. I always have to rinse the cadridges off with water. Even then the pressure lasts just for a couple of weeks.

Do I have to exchange the cadridges or is there a way to clean them?

Backwashing my filter doesnt usually help. Pressure builds up within 3 houres again. I always have to rinse the cadridges off with water. Even then the pressure lasts just for a couple of weeks.

If your presssure builds backup within a few hours, then it could be you are fighting algae. If you are having trouble keeping keeping chlorine in the pool, then that is probably your problem.

Otherwise, it could be that your filter is undersized for your pool which is a common issue.

As for cleaning, a good soak in dishwasher detergent overnight is usually all that is needed. Just make sure you hose off all the soap.

it all depends how they are cared for. if new never clean them maybe 2-3 years. If clean them with a filter cleaner they will much last longer, maybe 10 years or more. I tell people once a month during the swimming season to just rinse them with a hose. No pressure washer. Use filter cleaner at the end of the swimming season. Now in PA the season is not that long so you may have to adjust the cleaning times

• 3 weeks later...
So, the contractor just installed the cartridge filter. It's a Stay-Rite System 3 S7M120 300 sq ft. Our pool is about 24000 gallons. Is this filter big enough?

I have the Stay-Rite System 3 and I love it. I do hose mine down a couple of times of year. i was told that I wouldn't need to replace it but every 2-3 years, but make sure when they concrete that extra care is taken to keep the concrete out of the pool. I have the Stay-rite 3 with 17500 gallons. I am sure your size is probably fine. I know mine was oversized.

Hope this helps.

Thanks