Jandy Pool And Spa Products

ChrisA

I am in the process of getting bids for the construction of an in ground pool, and one of the pool companies that has provided me a bid uses Jandy pool and spa products almost exclusivly (when possible). Can anyone tell me anything about Jandy products and how they rate against their competitors?

Is anyone aware of a comprehensive comparison of the companies that make pool and spa equipment? It would be nice to see an unbiased review of pool products and how they differ in quality and warranty.

It has become apparent that pool builders have their favorite suppliers and do not like to deviate from what they use (for whatever reason, either relationships, trust, support, etc)

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Chris

I am in the process of getting bids for the construction of an in ground pool, and one of the pool companies that has provided me a bid uses Jandy pool and spa products almost exclusivly (when possible). Can anyone tell me anything about Jandy products and how they rate against their competitors?

Is anyone aware of a comprehensive comparison of the companies that make pool and spa equipment? It would be nice to see an unbiased review of pool products and how they differ in quality and warranty.

It has become apparent that pool builders have their favorite suppliers and do not like to deviate from what they use (for whatever reason, either relationships, trust, support, etc)

Chris

Jandy is generally a good company. I have a RS-8 controller for the last year (new pool) and it works fine. It was recommended and installed by a friend whom I have lots of faith in. Several sizes, models, etc of controllers are available. Considerable flexibility to accomodate solar, salt water generators, variable speed pumps.

Anyone should consider a variable speed pump to save about 60% of their maintenance costs. Its speed can be adjusted to operate at various speeds for solar, filtering, pool sweep, etc. - all with a Jandy RS-8 or other model.

When looking at equipment that is going to be used on a pool keep this in mind. The difference between Pentair, Hayward, Jandy would be very similar to the differences between Ford, Dodge, and Chevy. The fact that one of the dealers your looking at seems to use Jandy products when they can makes sense, I’m sure they have a price break, or a incentive plan or something along those lines. I would not make a decision on a dealer based on the fact that they use x brand of equipment. Hope this helps.

When looking at equipment that is going to be used on a pool keep this in mind. The difference between Pentair, Hayward, Jandy would be very similar to the differences between Ford, Dodge, and Chevy. The fact that one of the dealers your looking at seems to use Jandy products when they can makes sense, I’m sure they have a price break, or a incentive plan or something along those lines. I would not make a decision on a dealer based on the fact that they use x brand of equipment. Hope this helps.

Thanks Iveywk. I guess I am just trying to make sure that I am 'driving' a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy and not something that I will have continued issues with once the warranty period is over. I have been digging around on the web for product comparisons, and have not uncovered anything that concerns me about Jandy, but needless to say an inground pool investment warrants making sure you are not 'driving a lemon'.

Chris

Thanks Iveywk. I guess I am just trying to make sure that I am 'driving' a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy and not something that I will have continued issues with once the warranty period is over. I have been digging around on the web for product comparisons, and have not uncovered anything that concerns me about Jandy, but needless to say an inground pool investment warrants making sure you are not 'driving a lemon'.

Chris

Every one of the major manufacturers of pool equipment has excellent products in their line and some lemons but the major manufacturers do tend to stand behind their products. As far as Jandy goes, the parent comany is WaterPik so it is not a fly by night operation. Jandy is a well respected name in pool equipment...to the point that many people in the business refer to three way pool valves as Jandy valves in a generic way (even though there are also other manufacturers of them) becuase their valves have proven to be among the best over the years and have set the standard.

• 4 months later...

Chris

I am very biased because we sell Jandy. However, I have seen a lot of others and I can say that jandy is a really great company. We only sell their stuff because we think their stuff is quality and they give us great warranty service if we have problems, which is rare. service after the sale is huge. Jandy is one of the only companies we deal with that actually employs thier own technical field guys in all areas. If all else fails and my guys cannot figure out a problem, I know that the factory has my back. Better for us, Better for our customers.

The reason pool companies stick to their favorites is because all of this stuff will break eventually. any company that's in it for the long haul tries to stay with the same stuff because that's less inventory to keep and carry on trucks, less training for the men, etc... the service guys get very good at fixing/diagnosing problems when every job has the same stuff. they really get to know it well.