Foaming

djmash

Hi All-

My spa is generating a lot of foam when the jets are running. I have tried the de-foamer but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug

Defoamers only are a temporary fix. They do not remove what is causing the foam, just creat a surface tension an the water to help prevent it.

Foam is generally caused by contaniments in the water such as risidual soap from swimsuits and bodies, deoderant, lotion, hairspray, perfume, byproducts from the chemicals, body oils and sweat. A high PH also creates more foam. You can use a clarifier to help coagulate and floc the gunk so the filter can pick it up. I would use one of the natural kinds so you filter does not get gummed up. After a day or 2 pull the filter(s) rinse real well and do it again. This may help. If it has been awhile since you last water chnage you may need to change the water.

As far as I can tell, some amount of foaming is "normal". We don't use a lot of lotions and potions, our suits rarely see soap, but after a week or two post water-change, we start to have some foam. Enzyme products and regular shocking keep it from being more than a small amount of anti-foam can suppress, and I've learned that once it gets to the point a little anti-foam is ineffective, it's time to change the water.

• 1 month later...

I'm also having some foaming issues,, the tub has been up and running for 3 weeks now and the ph is a tad low and all else is good. We use it daily, sometimes twice a day as We are home and not working, rehabbing from a bad auto collision. We didn't use the tub in two days due to severe storms, which the lighting was bad enough to trip the gfi powering the tub and a couple other outdoor circuits.. We had strikes within 1500' of the house.. When We opened it up and ran the pumps it foamed like crazy.. We washed our suits before in woolite and ran extra wash with no detergent so I don't think its from our suits. I tried the anti foam stuff that came in my kit.. but it didn't seem to make any difference.. What is the natural clarifier stuff called?

Faoming to the point of creating suds is most always from soaps in suits, hair or from filters not rinsed enough. If this happens to me, I run all my jets with air on to get as much foam as possible, then scoop the suds out with a pool net and shock. This generally does the trick. I also like to use enzymes to help with oils and soaps.

What is the natural clarifier stuff called?

Sea Klear is one of the Natural Clarifiers that works really well. As was said, you need to really rinse the filters out well. Try Super shocking the tub also to brak down what is causing the foam. If it is not swimsuits or shampoo/body soap the other thing we see this time of year is lotion/sunscreen. People will forget they have put it on and use the tub. This will cause bunches of foam and cloudy water also.

My water invariably starts to get decidedly foamy and sluggish after a couple-three of months of use, and nothing we have ever tried has ever made it get better again at that point. It seems to be how the water "ages" with our use pattern.

It may foam a little before that, and on this last change I apparently hadn't rinsed the filter well enough, because there was some foam immediately, but changing out the filter to a new one and shocking for a few days after use took care of that.

So I think if it's just a bit of soap from somewhere, you can get rid of it, but it may also mean you are coming up on time to change the water.

Maybe next time it does that, though, I'll try the approach of letting it foam away and discarding the bubbles..... interesting idea!

• 2 weeks later...

I cleaned off my filter,, ran the jets and let her foam up and scooped it up and out.. and added some "clear and brite" that my dealer gave me in my kit,, didn't even know what it was for.. next day no foam and sparkling clear water.. I've been using the clear and brite once a week now as they told me and so far its working great. I new it wasn't time for a water change for me since the water was only in a couple weeks..

Thanks for the tips,, and I got a little skimmer from the dealer to help scoop out any foam.. I also notice if we dont use the spa for two days it foams up more,, is this normal?

Make sure to check your filters with the clear and brite, some of the clarifiers will cause a goo/film on filters, just keep them clean.

Is the PH rising a bit when you do not use it for a couple of days? Sometimes PH will rise with certain sanitizing systems and this will cause the tub to foam a bit easier.

Ph isn't rising,, having trouble getting it up to 7.2-7.6 area,, got it up to 7.0 and I'm happy with that.. our water from the tap is 5.5-6.0.. I've noticed after the clean and brite that it(the foam) funnels into the filter better and leaves a residue on the filter.. I do rinse it off about an hr or so after using the clear and brite.. anything else I should keep an eye out for??