Hourly Testing - Commercial Tub - Any Advice?

We are going to be opening a new hot tub at our Bed and Breakfast and have been informed that we are required to keep a log of hourly testing of the chlorine /bromine , Ph and temperature.

There has GOT to be an electronic device that will do this, but I haven't found anything.

Has anyone had this problem or can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim Brady

Forty Putney Road Bed and Breakfast

Brattleboro, Vermont

www.fortyputneyroad.com

I don't have any good solution. But, if I were in your shoes, I'd go to some hotel, athletic club, etc (anyplace with a hot tub) and ask what they do. I can't imagine that they send someone out there every hour. I could see daily or 2x per day, but hourly ! Is that some state or local regulation ?

I don't have any good solution. But, if I were in your shoes, I'd go to some hotel, athletic club, etc (anyplace with a hot tub) and ask what they do. I can't imagine that they send someone out there every hour. I could see daily or 2x per day, but hourly ! Is that some state or local regulation ?

You're telling me! It's a State law. It says that "The following shall be measured in each spa or tub at least hourly during the hours of operation: Disinfectant levels, pH, Temperature and should be within designated range or adjusted accordingly."

Of course, Alkalinity and Hardness only need to be tested weekly.

I have a few calls around to places with hot tubs, but most are part of larger pools etc and they may very well just have someone there testing the water. I was hoping that there was some electronic device that would log the info electronically. Or even an electronic tester of any kind.

Tim Brady

Brattleboro Vermont

You're telling me! It's a State law. It says that "The following shall be measured in each spa or tub at least hourly during the hours of operation: Disinfectant levels, pH, Temperature and should be within designated range or adjusted accordingly."

Of course, Alkalinity and Hardness only need to be tested weekly.

I have a few calls around to places with hot tubs, but most are part of larger pools etc and they may very well just have someone there testing the water. I was hoping that there was some electronic device that would log the info electronically. Or even an electronic tester of any kind.

Tim Brady

Brattleboro Vermont

We may be able to help you if we had more info. We are right up the road from Putney (Charlestown NH) and do commercial tubs. If we have the exact info, we can contact or commercial tub supplier to see if there is something that will work for you.

In my state all commercial pools and spas are required to have a CPO on staff(http://www.nspf.org/Two_Day_Class.html). No outside testing agents are allowed. Your local health department should offer the CPO class several times per year.

I would recommend you contact your health inspector personnaly and ask if you can get away with only testing durring occupancy. He will tell you exactly what he will require.

You should also consider getting an automated chemical feed system. $$$ but worth the maintenance time.