Ozonator Runs All The Time - Help

Hello

I have a Balboa Model 54114-H1 LITELD control system on my spa

A Balboa Ozonator 3 was installed with a 3/4" ozone injector in one of the water jet lines.

It works OK, but one issue is that the Ozonator stays on all the time.

As far as I read it was only to work when the low speed of the pump runs.

But I found it is on all the time no matter if the pump is on low speed, high or off.

I have checked all the wiring to the Balboa Control Box wiring diagram.

All looks OK to the drawings but I find 120 VAC at the Ozone connections all the time.

120 Vac looks to be fed from the Red #4 thru the 20A fuse 240V pump line which is connected to J7 and wht p-com at the pump then to the wht on the ozonator.

Not sure if there is a jumper or any wire that should be moved to correct this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Hello

I have a Balboa Model 54114-H1 LITELD control system on my spa

A Balboa Ozonator 3 was installed with a 3/4" ozone injector in one of the water jet lines.

It works OK, but one issue is that the Ozonator stays on all the time.

As far as I read it was only to work when the low speed of the pump runs.

But I found it is on all the time no matter if the pump is on low speed, high or off.

I have checked all the wiring to the Balboa Control Box wiring diagram.

All looks OK to the drawings but I find 120 VAC at the Ozone connections all the time.

120 Vac looks to be fed from the Red #4 thru the 20A fuse 240V pump line which is connected to J7 and wht p-com at the pump then to the wht on the ozonator.

Not sure if there is a jumper or any wire that should be moved to correct this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

I think I may have the same issue. I have brand new OC 850L Spa (Costco model but its made by Cal Spa) which has the same Ozonator in it and a Balboa VS series control pack.

The Spa has a 24/7 circ pump and I thought that was causing this but where the ozonator "jet" is there is not only a constant flow of water but I also see bubbles coming out of it 24/7. Do you see the same thing? I'm not sure how to tell if this is actually the Ozonator working? I'm not sure what Ozone smells like but I've not noticed any strong smells on opening the cover etc after its gone overnight etc.....

Anyone know more about this? How do I tell if its really the ozonator running 24/7 or if its just a regular function of the 24/7 circ pump?

I think I may have the same issue. I have brand new OC 850L Spa (Costco model but its made by Cal Spa) which has the same Ozonator in it and a Balboa VS series control pack.

The Spa has a 24/7 circ pump and I thought that was causing this but where the ozonator "jet" is there is not only a constant flow of water but I also see bubbles coming out of it 24/7. Do you see the same thing? I'm not sure how to tell if this is actually the Ozonator working? I'm not sure what Ozone smells like but I've not noticed any strong smells on opening the cover etc after its gone overnight etc.....

Anyone know more about this? How do I tell if its really the ozonator running 24/7 or if its just a regular function of the 24/7 circ pump?

It's going to be difficult to diognose as Cal has made that tub for Costco's price point so it is designed different than any other Cal and put together different. If we could see the diagram of the system. Is the circulation pump running all the time? And is the circulation pump actualy circulating water from a filter through the heater and into the tub? Is the mazzi injector on this circulation line? Or is it on a line that is fed by the jet pump?

It's going to be difficult to diognose as Cal has made that tub for Costco's price point so it is designed different than any other Cal and put together different. If we could see the diagram of the system. Is the circulation pump running all the time? And is the circulation pump actualy circulating water from a filter through the heater and into the tub? Is the mazzi injector on this circulation line? Or is it on a line that is fed by the jet pump?

Most tubs with a 24 hour circ pump system run the ozone all the time, untill a button is pushed on the topside, which is a saftry measure so it does not run while using the tub. It will come back on, usually an hour after no buttons have been pushed. Seeing bubbles does not mean that there is ozone. The ozone line will produce bubbles, even when the ozone unit is not on. The ozonator should have a light on the unit that you can see when the cabinet is open. It will be lit when producing ozone. Ozone is not a strong smell. It smells like the air after a lightning storm. It is a distint smell, clean smelling, but sometimes hard to detect over any chemical smells you may have.

I would check that the ozone is actually on - does it have a power indicator or a little hole to see the UV bulb?

The reason I say this is that our modern digital meters will tend to see voltage even when it's not there. This happen when the control system uses solid state realays, or when there are a lot of wires bundled together and a trace voltage is induced into the other wires.

But while the voltage is enough to show on a very sensitive meter, it may not be enough to actually run the ozone. This is very easy to check - IF the unit has a power indicator or a view hole.

If the unit is a low-end as Roger sugests - and he's right, the tub is built strictly to make a price point - they may have simply left out any controls for the ozone and made it 'hot' all the time. You may want to wire it over to the low speed pump if you want it to come on and go off with that pump.

B)

I would check that the ozone is actually on - does it have a power indicator or a little hole to see the UV bulb?

The reason I say this is that our modern digital meters will tend to see voltage even when it's not there. This happen when the control system uses solid state realays, or when there are a lot of wires bundled together and a trace voltage is induced into the other wires.

But while the voltage is enough to show on a very sensitive meter, it may not be enough to actually run the ozone. This is very easy to check - IF the unit has a power indicator or a view hole.

If the unit is a low-end as Roger sugests - and he's right, the tub is built strictly to make a price point - they may have simply left out any controls for the ozone and made it 'hot' all the time. You may want to wire it over to the low speed pump if you want it to come on and go off with that pump.

B)

Hi, thanks for the help all, FYI - I called Balboa the maker of the controls, basically they were no help, the tech barely knew how there controls work, and could not give me any good answer of what to check or what voltage the Ozonator should run on, and this was there controls, so much for there customer service, then I was on my own figuring this all out. I found with a Infinity Spa with Balboa controls with 240 VAC input you need to wire the Ozonator for 240VAC, I found in the Balboa control box a white netural wire was in the incorrect place, on J7 - it should have been on the output side of the 20 amp pump fuse, it had been cut from the pump fuse point and a connector was installed so could connect to J7, this tub is brand new, never used and or wired, so who did this Infinity or Balboa ??????, once it was moved over, the 240 VAC gets sent when the low speed pump is on, when its off or running at high speed, the ozonator is off. So check the wiring carefully for this issue. With the Balboa Ozonator 3, like others have said you can see the blue light when it runs and also smell the ozone in the tub, again thanks all, Paul

On the Costco (Cal Spa) OC 850L tub the manual states the Ozonator only runs during the filtration cycle (mine is set to filter for 2 hours twice per day). From the info above (Thanks!) I'm guessing the bubbles are just coming as part of the circulation pump work but don't contain Ozone except when the filtration cycle is on.

I'll take the side panel off in a couple of weeks and take a look at night to check if the Balboa Ozonator light comes on when the filtration cycle kicks in.

On the Costco (Cal Spa) OC 850L tub the manual states the Ozonator only runs during the filtration cycle (mine is set to filter for 2 hours twice per day). From the info above (Thanks!) I'm guessing the bubbles are just coming as part of the circulation pump work but don't contain Ozone except when the filtration cycle is on.

I'll take the side panel off in a couple of weeks and take a look at night to check if the Balboa Ozonator light comes on when the filtration cycle kicks in.

Check how the circ pump is plumbed, if it does anything other than come from the filter and go through the heater and back to the tub. Disconect it and don't bother.

Check how the circ pump is plumbed, if it does anything other than come from the filter and go through the heater and back to the tub. Disconect it and don't bother.

Circ pump is this red one right? (Next time I open the panel I'll look where the water comes into / out of it) - Its quite hidden back in there though....

2428603999_59772a9903.jpg

Whoa! Don't re-wire your ozone to 240V unless the ozone states it's a 240V system. There is no problem if the ozone stays on all the time (besides a shortened oz life) Some cheaper units, like the Balboa Lite Leader may run all the time. If you have a circ pump then this is great. Ozone is a good add-on for any spa.

What exactly is your concern for the ozone staying on all the time? They only draw about 3/4 of an AMP as it is. Also, is this a UV or Corona Ozone?

Circ pump is this red one right? (Next time I open the panel I'll look where the water comes into / out of it) - Its quite hidden back in there though....

2428603999_59772a9903.jpg

Looks like it, is the ozone hooked to that 3/4 plastic line someplace. Or is it hooked to one of the jet pump lines. Is it anyplace along the plumbing route that is hooked to the pump in the photo?

Why have a filter cycle if you have 24 hr circ?? The only use would be for economy mode. Usually the ozone goes through the circ. pump if there is one, how the sublevel programming is set up is when the ozone is on. We have ours set to run ozone all the time unless we touch a button, this way all is getting oxidized all the time. Reduces my chemical use and have nice clean low oder water.

Looks like it, is the ozone hooked to that 3/4 plastic line someplace. Or is it hooked to one of the jet pump lines. Is it anyplace along the plumbing route that is hooked to the pump in the photo?

I'll take a look after next week - Unfortunately I leave on a biz trip and won't be able to take off the panel this weekend. I will update this thread when I take a look.....

On the 24/7 circ pump is it not normal to have one of these that runs in addition to the regular filtration cycles? I have mine in Economy mode where it heats/filters twice a day for 2 hours (7am and 7pm)....

I'll take a look after next week - Unfortunately I leave on a biz trip and won't be able to take off the panel this weekend. I will update this thread when I take a look.....

On the 24/7 circ pump is it not normal to have one of these that runs in addition to the regular filtration cycles? I have mine in Economy mode where it heats/filters twice a day for 2 hours (7am and 7pm)....

Its worthless if it does not go through the filter and the heater. Infinity has a habit of doing this "purchase the 24 hr circ pump for$$$$, " everyone thinks...oh good that is better to have a circ pump, then they just plumb it into the tub, not going through the heater or filter so it serves no purpose.

Usually thr circ pump is your "filter cycle", plus your heating and ozone cycles, and pump 1 low is not used for the filter cycle when it has a circ.

See where they plumbed it and if it is serving a purpose. If not it is wasting electricity.

Its worthless if it does not go through the filter and the heater. Infinity has a habit of doing this "purchase the 24 hr circ pump for$$$$, " everyone thinks...oh good that is better to have a circ pump, then they just plumb it into the tub, not going through the heater or filter so it serves no purpose.

Usually thr circ pump is your "filter cycle", plus your heating and ozone cycles, and pump 1 low is not used for the filter cycle when it has a circ.

See where they plumbed it and if it is serving a purpose. If not it is wasting electricity.

This is where I am trying to go Hillbilly, to find out how it is plumbed. But to say a purge with the jet pump is worthless because you have a circ pump is untrue. If you have a properly plumbed circ pump for heating, filtering and ozone a 10 minute or more, twice a day purge is a definite plus. There are several brands out there that have very poorly plumbed circ pumps, Infinity being one. But we are talking CalSpa here and I suspect this system also.

This is where I am trying to go Hillbilly, to find out how it is plumbed. But to say a purge with the jet pump is worthless because you have a circ pump is untrue. If you have a properly plumbed circ pump for heating, filtering and ozone a 10 minute or more, twice a day purge is a definite plus. There are several brands out there that have very poorly plumbed circ pumps, Infinity being one. But we are talking CalSpa here and I suspect this system also.

I did not say anything about purging with a jet pump being worthless, sorry if you thought that somehow. I just meant the actual filter cycle. Our tubs do purge 2x's per day, but filter/heat ozone off the circ pump. After the purge all the big pumps shut off, they do not filter/heat/ozone with pump one on low in addtion to the circ pump, which is what this one sounds like it is doing. In the sub level programming we can set it to purge from 10 seconds to 10 minutes, do it 1-4x's per day ect. (got to love balboas!)

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I got a chance to remove the panel.

I think its actually a very well built spa. The full foam insulation means I cannot see exactly where the pipes going to/from the red circulation pump above are going to.

However I noticed that when the tub is on (and circ pump runs 24/7) everything in the tub moves in the direction of the filter (pine needles etc + bromine floater always heads that way) - Turn off the tub at the breaker and that stops. So I presume the circ pump is pulling the water through the filter. Its not going through the heater though but since I don't want to be heating 24/7 is that bad?

I also confirmed the Ozonator light is off as well - it comes on only when the filter cycle is on. Its a Balboa Ozonator 3 with CHP.