Del Ozone Mcd-50 Question

Marty

I just replaced a Balboa ozonator with the Del MCD-50. I'm wondering how one is supposed to tell if it is working or not. When It's plugged in the green LED lights, buthow is one supposed to know if it is actually producing ozone?

Bob

First, did you replace the check valve? Sometimes the ozone, over time will cause the check valve to stick and not allow the ozone into the water, and eventually burn up the ozonator. Next, besides the light, there are test strips that check for ozone. Ozone only has a 20 minute risdual in the tub water and I do not know how accurate they are. The best way I can tell is by the smell. When ozone is running, the bubbles have a very distinct smell (like the smell after a lightning strick that was close by) Its like a super fresh air smell, and if you get a deep whiff of it, it may effect your breathing (takes your breath away)

I just replaced a Balboa ozonator with the Del MCD-50. I'm wondering how one is supposed to tell if it is working or not. When It's plugged in the green LED lights, buthow is one supposed to know if it is actually producing ozone?

Bob

First, did you replace the check valve? Sometimes the ozone, over time will cause the check valve to stick and not allow the ozone into the water, and eventually burn up the ozonator. Next, besides the light, there are test strips that check for ozone. Ozone only has a 20 minute risdual in the tub water and I do not know how accurate they are. The best way I can tell is by the smell. When ozone is running, the bubbles have a very distinct smell (like the smell after a lightning strick that was close by) Its like a super fresh air smell, and if you get a deep whiff of it, it may effect your breathing (takes your breath away)

Bob

Bob

Yes, the new unit came with a new check valve, and new hose.

Will have to give it the sniff test tonight when I get home.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

We have a Del MCD-50 ozonator on our tub. I wondered the same thing; how do you know it is working. We have no odor from the bubbles coming up through the water. According to some experts, a well designed system will have no odor. This happens because the ozone contacts the water long enough to be converted back to oxygen. We tried ozone measuring strips but the results seemed to track Free Chlorine so I'm not convinced they work in the presence of FC.

Finally, I called Balboa customer service and asked a tech. He said that if the green light is on, the unit is producing ozone. Our only problem is that the ozonator is installed under the skirting and so you can't see if the green light is on without removing one of the skirts. I plan to drill an inspection hole when the weather clears; it's snowing again here in Colorado.

Bob

We have a Del MCD-50 ozonator on our tub. I wondered the same thing; how do you know it is working. We have no odor from the bubbles coming up through the water. According to some experts, a well designed system will have no odor. This happens because the ozone contacts the water long enough to be converted back to oxygen. We tried ozone measuring strips but the results seemed to track Free Chlorine so I'm not convinced they work in the presence of FC.

Finally, I called Balboa customer service and asked a tech. He said that if the green light is on, the unit is producing ozone. Our only problem is that the ozonator is installed under the skirting and so you can't see if the green light is on without removing one of the skirts. I plan to drill an inspection hole when the weather clears; it's snowing again here in Colorado.

The Del ozone is not made by Balboa, so I am suprised the guy answered you. One of the things Balboa taught us is to check for the clean fresh scent it produces. It is very distint and we use a mazzi injected ozone system, and we can still smell it. Mazzi injection mixes the ozone and water very well, not just bubbles of ozone coming into the tub. If you chemical smell is strong you will not be able to smell the fresh ozone. The light is usually accurate. I would not suggest drilling a whole in your cabinet. You will lose heat and give easy access to bugs. You only need to check your ozone at water changes and you should be taking a peek under the cabinet anyway to look at your pump seals and make sure you don't have unwanted residents. Its like opening the hood on your car, preventitive maintenance. If the ozone stops working you may notice an increase in chemical use and water quality issues.

Bob

The Del ozone is not made by Balboa, so I am suprised the guy answered you. One of the things Balboa taught us is to check for the clean fresh scent it produces. It is very distint and we use a mazzi injected ozone system, and we can still smell it. Mazzi injection mixes the ozone and water very well, not just bubbles of ozone coming into the tub. If you chemical smell is strong you will not be able to smell the fresh ozone. The light is usually accurate. I would not suggest drilling a whole in your cabinet. You will lose heat and give easy access to bugs. You only need to check your ozone at water changes and you should be taking a peek under the cabinet anyway to look at your pump seals and make sure you don't have unwanted residents. Its like opening the hood on your car, preventitive maintenance. If the ozone stops working you may notice an increase in chemical use and water quality issues.

Bob

I apologize. I simply copied the Balboa name from the first post. My error. I called the customer service at Del-Zone 800-676-1335 x 248. Again, my apologies.