Why Am I Shocking?

JackVa1

Hi,

Just two of us use our Caldera maybe 5-6 times a week. All my levels are consistant and the Frog system does a great job - replace the bromine once a month as advertised. Why am I adding 6 Tbs of shock once a week? Thanks

Shocking helps break down body oil, sweat, urea, and other contaniments. (each person sweats about a pint for a 30 minute hot tub session) It also "recharges" the bromine, freeing it up so it can do its job. If you do not shock, you may develop water quality issues and you will use more bromine.

I have the same question. It has now been 9 days since our last shock and with the Genesis system the bromine has been constant at 4.5. In fact I have had to turn the bromine dial down from 10 to 6 so the bromine level does not increase. We have only had the tub for 2 weeks so the water is still relatively new.

The only issue I have noticed is the Ph is rising. I have to add 28 grams of PH down each night for the last 3 nights to keep the Ph at 7.6 to 7.7.

The TA is 90 and CH is 100+. Is the lack of shocking leading to a rise in Ph. I would like to shock as little as possible but I also do not want to keep adding Ph down. We will be having people over tonight and I will shock afterwards which will be day 10.

I have the same question. It has now been 9 days since our last shock and with the Genesis system the bromine has been constant at 4.5. In fact I have had to turn the bromine dial down from 10 to 6 so the bromine level does not increase. We have only had the tub for 2 weeks so the water is still relatively new.

The only issue I have noticed is the Ph is rising. I have to add 28 grams of PH down each night for the last 3 nights to keep the Ph at 7.6 to 7.7.

The TA is 90 and CH is 100+. Is the lack of shocking leading to a rise in Ph. I would like to shock as little as possible but I also do not want to keep adding Ph down. We will be having people over tonight and I will shock afterwards which will be day 10.

MPS, or non chlorine shock is low on the PH scale, so it will pull the PH down a little. People using the spa will pull the ph down, but airration and outgassing increases PH. I also beleive I have read that Genesis has a tendency to run a higher PH. With fresh water you will not otice the difference shock makes. Over tome and heavy use you will see the difference (and feel). The small unfilterable particles start building up, causing the water to feel thick for lack of a better term.

MPS, or non chlorine shock is low on the PH scale, so it will pull the PH down a little. People using the spa will pull the ph down, but airration and outgassing increases PH. I also beleive I have read that Genesis has a tendency to run a higher PH. With fresh water you will not otice the difference shock makes. Over tome and heavy use you will see the difference (and feel). The small unfilterable particles start building up, causing the water to feel thick for lack of a better term.

Thanks for your response. Now it all makes sense. We have had sore muscles lately and normally the 2 speed pump alone works out the knots. The last few days we have been pounding ourselves with pump and air.

I will monitor the Ph more closely if we tend to use the air more. We will also probably shock once a week as I can then turn the genesis dial down even further.

Thanks for your response. Now it all makes sense. We have had sore muscles lately and normally the 2 speed pump alone works out the knots. The last few days we have been pounding ourselves with pump and air.

I will monitor the Ph more closely if we tend to use the air more. We will also probably shock once a week as I can then turn the genesis dial down even further.

Yes, thanks for the information. Any chance that not shocking regularly also could be a reason I can't get rid of foam brought in from "outsiders" and their swim wear?

Yes, thanks for the information. Any chance that not shocking regularly also could be a reason I can't get rid of foam brought in from "outsiders" and their swim wear?

Yes, Shock will help break down soap as it is an oxidizer. Ozone and MPS are 2 very good oxidizers that help a lot. Ozone normally only runs while the tub is in a filter cycle. Shocking after heavy use will also help prevent issues.