Platinum Ii Elite Spa - Energy Useage Experiences?

mepat

Three years ago, we purchased a Voyager Portable Spa through costco.com. This is a real entry level spa and was a great purchase. The last day on warranty, a Saturday, there was an electrical problem. Took digital pictures and e-mailed the next day to manufacturer (DM Industries, Miami, FL). They shipped needed parts and we returned bad parts. Several times we had questions that they were always prepared to answer.

Now we're ready to replace it with more advanced technology. After many shopping trips, we've come back to Costco, once more.

Major concern is now that we're living in Northern Utah rather than the California desert is the cost of enery useage. We've decided for now and probably through winter, to set it up in the garage, monitor kilowatts used compared to last year by month.

If all goes well, will build nice outdoor deck and cover for next year.

Garage isn't too aesthetically appealing - but may beat walking through the snow to get to it for year round use. Why would anyone not use it all year?

No concerns re Costco's return policy. We've seen items returned whose conditions were unbelievable and obviously misused i.e. king-size poinsettias that died for lack of water (three months after Christmas)

Thanks in advance for sharing your energy useage experience?

Mepat,

I belive the tub available through Costco is made by Hotsprings, but is slighty different than what the dealer sells. I belive it comes standard as a 110 unit (can be upgraded to a 220). This is important -imho - as a 110 v tub will not run the heater and pumps at the same time. If you are keeping the tub indoors this maynot be a problem, but if you keep it outdoors, in the winter time, I would recomend getting it set up for 220v.

The pumps are smaller and the filter is a bit different than the dealer's models, with the electrical upgrade and delivery charges, you may want to take a look at what the local HS dealer has, you may find a significanty better tub, for a slight price increase.

I would recomend putting the tub outside if possible, close to the house. Soaking outside in the winter is, without a doubt, the greatest expereicence. It's terrific.

I think something everyone needs to keep in mind while selecting a spa is the comfort level of wherever your purchasing it from. If its a local dealer, a mass merchant, a used spa from a guy down the street, it is one of the most important things. All major spa manufactures have good ideas when it comes to filtration, energy efficiency, sanitization, ect. Also all major brands are sold around the world, and they are designed to withstand just about any climate. I've been in the pool and spa industry for about ten years now, and while our primary brand of spa has not changed we have carried a couple of different ones in addition and all of them have worked well in my climate (upper Midwest.) Energy usage is going to probably cost around $20 on average a month. There is not an exact way to meter spa energy usage unless you put the spa on its own electrical meter. One more thing to consider, moving up from a voyager spa to something with "more technology" as you put it you are increasing the chances of their being a malfunction on the spa, and it might not be something that you want to fix, and it might be worth while to purchase from a company that makes their living at it. As an example read a few threads below this about how a spa from costco broke down and now they are having trouble getting it fixed.

"I would recommend putting the tub outside if possible, close to the house. Soaking outside in the winter is, without a doubt, the greatest experience. It's terrific."

I agree with this statement completely.

Hope this helps.

the question given was about the platinum elite 2 spa. It is not made by hot springs. It was made by hydro spas if I remeber right. Its been a while. The platinum 2 elite was junk when I looked at it. You can doa search. I will get flamed for that remark but I will consitently say it over and over again. I purchased a nice quality spa from a reputable dealer and I have been happy since. No problems at all, and if/when it does go bad, the dealer will come and fix it. I wont have to take photos and call th manufature and have parts sent so I can fix it. The insulation was horrible on that costco spa. Now a spa made by Hot Springs should be nice in quality but I was heavily disappointed in performance. The wet test should make your descision for you but you wont get a wet test at any of the Costco store I have been in. Be carefull of the crappy spas out there. They ca cost more in the long run than just paying for a quality spa in the first place. My LA spa is costing 7-8 dollars a month in the Summer here in California and was 13 dollars during a colder time we had thsi winter.

the question given was about the platinum elite 2 spa. It is not made by hot springs. It was made by hydro spas if I remeber right. Its been a while. The platinum 2 elite was junk when I looked at it. You can doa search. I will get flamed for that remark but I will consitently say it over and over again. I purchased a nice quality spa from a reputable dealer and I have been happy since. No problems at all, and if/when it does go bad, the dealer will come and fix it. I wont have to take photos and call th manufature and have parts sent so I can fix it. The insulation was horrible on that costco spa. Now a spa made by Hot Springs should be nice in quality but I was heavily disappointed in performance. The wet test should make your descision for you but you wont get a wet test at any of the Costco store I have been in. Be carefull of the crappy spas out there. They ca cost more in the long run than just paying for a quality spa in the first place. My LA spa is costing 7-8 dollars a month in the Summer here in California and was 13 dollars during a colder time we had thsi winter.

First Timer, where do you live in California? The cost of electricity per Kwh is very high in most parts of California. $13 in the winter seems a little on the low side. What is your cost per Kwh? The only accurate way to determine usage is to put a meter on the spa since there are so many other variables.

First Timer, where do you live in California? The cost of electricity per Kwh is very high in most parts of California. $13 in the winter seems a little on the low side. What is your cost per Kwh? The only accurate way to determine usage is to put a meter on the spa since there are so many other variables.

The price of electricity has gone down here in California quite a bit. You may be in reference to about 3 years ago when we had a huge problem with electricity. I havent actually done any measuring but we were keeping track of our monthly usage before the tub. So far the highest we have seen in the few winter months we had it, it was a 13 dollar a month cost. Now that its a 100+ degrees, we have only seen it up around 8 dollars. I know that this is not a scientific method by any means. The 13 dollars for the winter should be fairly accurate since the winter months we had it, it was colder than the moths we monitored before. Oh, I live in the Sacramento area. So far its in line with what the saleman said. He estimated a max cost of about 15 dollars in the winter and around 10 or less in the summer. I have an LA spa with the Ultra water management system, its an 8x8 and has a 240 volt 60 amp line. So far, I can say this tub has been nothing but a good time. No problems at all so far, very well built and alot of tub for the money. I higly reccomend LA spas to all of my friends.

I am a first time user as well and purchased this Costco Spa. I have had difficulty in contacting the vendor to trouble shoot problems I have with the "Ice" feature on the panel. It appears that everytime I start it up, it goes from "priming mode" to "Ice" mode causing the system to stay on and the pumps to continually run until I mannully cut the power. Anyone know what I can do as I have tried unsuccessfully to contact vendor. Please help...Thanks

I am a first time user as well and purchased this Costco Spa. I have had difficulty in contacting the vendor to trouble shoot problems I have with the "Ice" feature on the panel. It appears that everytime I start it up, it goes from "priming mode" to "Ice" mode causing the system to stay on and the pumps to continually run until I mannully cut the power. Anyone know what I can do as I have tried unsuccessfully to contact vendor. Please help...Thanks

Contact Costco. I have heard they have been helpful to spa buyers in the past.

use the great return policy, then go buy a spa that comes with service. Thats my .02cents

• 2 months later...

I also bought a Platinum Elite and have had nothing but trouble. Hydrospa is the manufacture and they are terrible and unresponsive. If you can get it back to Costco easily, just return it and tell Hydrospa to take a hike. Hopefully, Costco will pay the cost of having our craned out and replaced.

Platinum Elite sucks!!!

• 1 month later...

I also bought a Platinum Elite and have had nothing but trouble. Hydrospa is the manufacture and they are terrible and unresponsive. If you can get it back to Costco easily, just return it and tell Hydrospa to take a hike. Hopefully, Costco will pay the cost of having our craned out and replaced.

Platinum Elite sucks!!!

What did the service department tell you whe you called for service?

What did the service department tell you whe you called for service?

They called back and left a canned message. "Hi this is Andrew from Hydrospa, I understand you have a problem with your spa and I'd like to help."

After trying for several days to get Andrew on the phone, I finally got a guy Stan, who at first tried to blame me for the problem and then backed down when I got really pissed and threatened to just return it to COSTCO. He admitted they were familiar with the problem and said the'y ship a new part. We eventually got parts shipped and replaced a couple times, but the spa still does not work. I am looking for a replacement and will return it to Costco.

Hydropsa is worst customer service experience I have ever had after spending $4000. If it wasn't for Costco's backing, we'd be screwed.

If you bought yours at COSTCO, you're OK. If you bought elsewhere, document everything with letters, photos and emails. Those all help in court. Good luck.

They called back and left a canned message. "Hi this is Andrew from Hydrospa, I understand you have a problem with your spa and I'd like to help."

After trying for several days to get Andrew on the phone, I finally got a guy Stan, who at first tried to blame me for the problem and then backed down when I got really pissed and threatened to just return it to COSTCO. He admitted they were familiar with the problem and said the'y ship a new part. We eventually got parts shipped and replaced a couple times, but the spa still does not work. I am looking for a replacement and will return it to Costco.

Hydropsa is worst customer service experience I have ever had after spending $4000. If it wasn't for Costco's backing, we'd be screwed.

If you bought yours at COSTCO, you're OK. If you bought elsewhere, document everything with letters, photos and emails. Those all help in court. Good luck.

I can see where youd be upset with that but let me assure you that I paid alot more for my Ford Taurus which my kids affectonately named "Borris" the taurus for alot more money then 4k and got a response close to what you did for the spa for warranty work. I wonder if it's a generational issue off pass the buck and not my problem......Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see where youd be upset with that but let me assure you that I paid alot more for my Ford Taurus which my kids affectonately named "Borris" the taurus for alot more money then 4k and got a response close to what you did for the spa for warranty work. I wonder if it's a generational issue off pass the buck and not my problem......Just a thought.

You can call it what you want, try to stick to the facts and not turn the attention elsewhere.