Curing Concrete Pad

candice

Hi all. Our spa has finally arrived at the dealer. The concrete pad has not been poured yet though. Dealer "thinks" concrete should cure 3-4 days since that's when they usually drill into concrete skirts around pools to install cover anchors. (They sell pools and spas).

I'm concerned that it may need a longer curing time since the weight of the spa will be substantial.

Anyone know BEST time frame for letting the concrete cure?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all. Our spa has finally arrived at the dealer. The concrete pad has not been poured yet though. Dealer "thinks" concrete should cure 3-4 days since that's when they usually drill into concrete skirts around pools to install cover anchors. (They sell pools and spas).

I'm concerned that it may need a longer curing time since the weight of the spa will be substantial.

Anyone know BEST time frame for letting the concrete cure?

Thanks in advance!

Your concrete guy will be able to tell you what's best for the particular mix he is supplying. There are several mixes available with different curing times and strenghts.

Unless your doing it yourself then I would wait as long as you can stand it no less than 3-4 days....LOL Keep in mind a car in a drivway puts more pounds per square inch than a tub.

It will depend on the concrete you use, if you are pouring it and mixing it yourself then check the sides of the bag, it will have time/strength information. You can buy more expensive high early strength concrete mix as well. I think several days is a good rule of thumb for a hot tub depending on how thick your pad will be. Concrete generally reached maximum strength after 28 days, this is usually when it is tested in labs for failure yield strength. good luck and dont forget some reinforcing mesh.

Roger and Dave,

Thanks for your input. Yes, makes sense to discuss with concrete guy......will do!

Since the pool and spa construction/installation is all being handled by the pool/spa store manager, we have little direct communication with each 'guy', but will have the opportunity to meet with him on day that they come to pour.

We have the reinforcing mesh already and the electrical people are grounding everything. We had to get a separate permit for the spa, so everything is being done by the 'book'. It's a pain, but couldn't be avoided since they're poking around for the pool:-)

Ask the expert instead of random peeps on the spa forum? Insane I say.

Ahh yes, the "expert". If only there were an expert who could tell me which other expert with differing opinions was correct. If only the experts were readily available to answer my questions whenever I had one.

Many thanks to this forum and the experienced members who so kindly give their opinions so that I and others may have questions answered or, at the very least, have more pertinent questions for the "expert" tradespeople .......who show up, eventually.

I have worked with many contractors and other 'experts' over the years. I get different answers depending upon what is at stake. But the general concensus seems to be 3 days before you put an empty tub down, and at least seven days before you fill it.

So plop the tub down three days after pouring, do your elelctrical, build your deck or steps, but don't fill it an switch it on for a week. The slab will be somewhat soft after just three days, so be careful about sliding the tub around - you can mark the surface.

B)