Advice On Solid But Not Flashy 84" Replacement?

I'm a newcomer to the board and have just spent many hours browsing old posts here. Many are informative (thanks!!!), some tedious and self-serving. I don't want to ask questions that have been addressed ad infinitum (especially the pros/cons re: full foam), but wonder if you can point me toward existing threads that already answer my questions? If not, would greatly appreciate your [new] advice.

Six years ago we retired and moved to our current home on Whidbey Island, WA and inherited a 84x84x36" Clearwater spa, which I've really enjoyed due to ankylosing spondylitis (autoimmune back trouble). This winter the spa finally gave up the ghost, 13 years after the previous owners installed it. Not a bad record for an old timer, but eventually heater and pump both failed. If it hadn't gone dead in the water, I'd still be content enough with it despite the fact that 13 yrs ago jets were sparser and tamer, it has only 1 pump, insulation/operating costs are undoubtedly not comparable to today's, etc. etc. It's a fairly primitive model by today's standards. My husband isn't a huge spa addict, but I really miss it, and now we're faced with the dilemma of what to do about it.

1. Because we're on a fixed disability income, cost is definitely a factor. We've debated replacing pump and heater to try to get another 2-4 years out of it, but several spa dealers/servicers have warned us that's pouring money down a rathole. The basic argument runs, once you have a stronger pump, the seals will probably all fail. Do you concur, or is this largely a sales pitch?

2. Assuming we do need to replace it, we'd be looking for one the same 84" size, as we don't want to deal with modifying the deck that's built around 3 sides of it. We've already done some shopping with reputable local companies to begin narrowing the field. We could care less about LED light shows, built in sound, volcanos, and the like. We do care about solid build, likely frequency of service (service calls to our house mean ferry rides and so can get pricey), energy consumption (for saving $$ and because we try to live green), quiet operation (it sits just outside the wall our bed is on, and I'm a light sleeper), ease of maintenance. Our son-in-law would be heartbroken if we didn't get another one with a lounge (I enjoy that feature, too), but that in itself is not a dealbreaker. Obviously the optimum therapeutic hydromassage is the goal, but I'm a realist: we can't expect a Rolls on a Toyota budget. (On the other hand, would be miserable with the equivalent of a Yugo!] At this point we've identified the Clearwater Quintet, Hot Spot Mallorca, and Tiger River Caspian (though it lacks a lounge) as possibilities. It's impossible to schlep to every spa dealer in the Puget Sound area, so though we intend to make personal visits where warranted, we'd love some help winnowing the list down. Do you have fact-based +/- comments on any of those three models? Are there comparables we should be considering?

3. What do you consider the range we have to pay for a Toyota-equivalent [good quality and bang for buck, but not glitzy] spa with the above features? A $10K unit is simply out of the question for us -- even $6500 is a real stretch, though if below that absolutely gets us into "courting disaster territory" we need to know that.

4. I've read the threads on Costco spas but to be honest, we're also considering that route. Any buyer here in the Western Washington region have pro or con experience with buying one from them and/or getting servicing on them? Dealer comments I'll take with a grain of salt, though I sincerely respect many of you posters as ethical [and helpful] businesspeople.

5. And speaking of salt, the Clearwater dealer talked up the Genesis system (and I'm sure there are other salt-based ones out there) and it struck us as something worth at least researching. Can you point me toward good threads?

Sorry for all the questions -- I'll sit on the others for now!! Thanks for whatever help you can give us.

Old Newbie

Forgot to add that we'd certainly consider discontinued models, floor models, etc. if they're the real deal and not just snake oil. Can legit savings be found this way? Any similar tips for cost-constrained fogeys like us?

It's to bad your hubby or you isn't slightly mechanicly inclined because a pump and heater for that unit is probably only a few hundred dollars maybe 400 and you probably could get 3-5 more trouble free years with not much more of an investment. Both of those components are an easy 1-2 hour for both install.

The sweetwater line was designed to be a value line and they are fine tubs as that tubs 13 years experience has shown. Which I think is a good life expectancy for any value brand and some of the claimed upper end brands. But now a days the 3-4 thousand that tub cost may be closer to 5-6 grand sorry. Ask about floor models for either the Sweetwater or the Tiger River brands as they both have good reputations. Or the Marquis Everyday line.

Forgive my bias, but I sell Sundance. They just came out with a new spa that may meet your needs. The Sundance Burlington is designed to be a solid tub sold at a low price point. You can take a look on the website at the specs but it is 84" square. We sell it in the low 5K price point. Hope this helps.

I am recovering from knee replacement sergery on 6/27 so have time to assist if you like. It is unuasual to actually see a realistic question, or answer for that matter on this forum. A bit agenda driven to say the least.

You have some good questions, and there is no one answer to most of them. I am 30 years in the pool/spa industry, and offer some honest answers to any questions you may have. My web site is www.lewakins.com

I am checking my e-mail from my home office a few times a day. You may call me on my mobile phone if you like. 254 534 1332.

Lew Akins

I am recovering from knee replacement sergery on 6/27 so have time to assist if you like. It is unuasual to actually see a realistic question, or answer for that matter on this forum. A bit agenda driven to say the least.

You have some good questions, and there is no one answer to most of them. I am 30 years in the pool/spa industry, and offer some honest answers to any questions you may have. My web site is www.lewakins.com

I am checking my e-mail from my home office a few times a day. You may call me on my mobile phone if you like. 254 534 1332.

Lew Akins

What brand do you sell Lew?....Ahhhh Jacuzzi Premium. I resent you saying my response was agenda driven. IMO your response is the apitamy of agenda driven. Take a look at her budget Lew. See if you can get her to spring for a few grand more for your brand. Fricken salesman.

Sorry Lew ya rubbed me the wrond way this AM

What brand do you sell Lew?....Ahhhh Jacuzzi Premium. I resent you saying my response was agenda driven. IMO your response is the apitamy of agenda driven. Take a look at her budget Lew. See if you can get her to spring for a few grand more for your brand. Fricken salesman.

Sorry Lew ya rubbed me the wrond way this AM

WE ALL have phone numbers, wesites and email addresses, but we don't post 'em here.