Led Lighting Questions?

I have owned my home for about a year and I have had to replace the bulbs in my pool and spa twice. They seem to only last a few months then go out. I have been looking at getting some LED lights as they look pretty good. My pool and spa system is 14000 gallons and the pool is roughly 15x30. I was thinking of getting the Hayward Colorlogic 2.5 I see the newer version supposed to be brighter than the old. I was looking at the model #SP-0521LED30 on fleabay as someone has them for a great deal. I am concerned this will not be bright enough for my pool as it currently has a 500W bulb in it. Hayward says the newer 30% bighter version #SP0525LED is equivalent to a 225W bulb. Simply I guess I want to know if anyone has experience with the older Colorlogic 2.5 and will it be bright enough?

Also I read somewhere about a Colorlogic 3.0 Anyone heard of this?

Are there any different brand LED's I should be looking at?

Final question. How do I tell what nitch I have in my pool. Both the pool and spa nitch seem like the standard sizes with a screw that mounts the light to the top of the nitch. What else do I need to look at?

First nearly all light niches are the same aside from being "spa" or pool sized. I don't know about the Hayward ones, I can say that when at the pool and spa show a year ago of all the ones at the show the Colorglo from JandJ Electronics seemed to be the brightest and most reasonably priced. They only sell the led bulbs though, you would have to supply the fixture but it is usually still cheaper. their web site is colorgloledlighting.com I have sold many of these and never had any complaints, everybody loves them and they have the best warranty also 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the Hayward ColorLogic lights. I have had very good luck with them, and they have great color. Lighting needs will change a little depending on pool shape, size, and plaster color. If you have white (or very light) plaster, it does not take much light to make it look good. In most white pools, one colorlogic seems to be 'sufficient' for each 500W light. Two for one is excellent, but one will do. Just remember, some colors are darker than others. The white mode on the color logic will be by far the brightest.. and the dark blues or reds will be fairly dim.

• 1 year later...

I'm about to buy an LED light. Is one of these (Intellibrite or Colorlogic) better than the other? I saw some posting elsewhere stating that Intellibrite diffuses through the pool whereas Colorlogic just goes straight. Any truth to this?

Thanks

The ColorLogic would be my choice. The light "diffusing" thru the water is just marketing bs. All the lights illuminate the same way.

ColorLogic revision went from 2.0 to 2.5 to 4.0, with the latter being brighter and offering more color choices. If you combine it with one of the ProLogic control systems, you can actually create your own color shows by picking colors from the light spectrum.

The SPO521LED30 is a much older version, not as bright as the 2.5, which is why they are so cheap. Based on the size of your pool, it would probably still look pretty good. Lots of folks installed it and were very happy.

Avoid LED replacement bulbs. They are still bulbs and fail sooner.

The Colorlogic should illuminate the whole pool pretty well, depending on where your light fixture is located in the pool. None of the colored lights illuminate like the 500w white light. But remember that you're creating a relaxing mood in the pool. The white lights remind me of the landing lights from a 747 by comparison.

The only niche that the Colorlogic (and all other current lights) won't fit is an old Swimquip niche. You'll have to pull the pool or spa light out of the wall to be sure what brand it is.

I have owned my home for about a year and I have had to replace the bulbs in my pool and spa twice. They seem to only last a few months then go out. I have been looking at getting some LED lights as they look pretty good. My pool and spa system is 14000 gallons and the pool is roughly 15x30. I was thinking of getting the Hayward Colorlogic 2.5 I see the newer version supposed to be brighter than the old. I was looking at the model #SP-0521LED30 on fleabay as someone has them for a great deal. I am concerned this will not be bright enough for my pool as it currently has a 500W bulb in it. Hayward says the newer 30% bighter version #SP0525LED is equivalent to a 225W bulb. Simply I guess I want to know if anyone has experience with the older Colorlogic 2.5 and will it be bright enough?

Also I read somewhere about a Colorlogic 3.0 Anyone heard of this?

Are there any different brand LED's I should be looking at?

Final question. How do I tell what nitch I have in my pool. Both the pool and spa nitch seem like the standard sizes with a screw that mounts the light to the top of the nitch. What else do I need to look at?

Instead of buying and replacing the entire light assembly why not just get a replacement LED bulb with colors

something like this

http://jandjpoolspa.com/dealer_cg_colorsplash3g.asp

Anyone concerned with why the bulbs are blowing so often? Before you get a new fixture in there, please check the voltage (if you have not already). And make sure you are within the voltage limits of the bulb(s). OR, if the fixtures are filling with water every time, nevermind.