Doughboy In-ground Pools. Pros/cons?

jojomander

We visited our local dealer and found out that Doughboy offers this pool that can be burried underground, thus giving the look of a "real" in-ground pool without the added expense. Does anyone have any experience w/ this type of install? Any opinions one way or the other? Thank you.

I am not a big fan of the idea. It exposes the pool wall to more moisture. On-Ground pools, IMHO, don't belong in the ground. Many years ago, a dealer tried that same pitch on me. I didn't buy it then, still don't.

• 1 month later...
We visited our local dealer and found out that Doughboy offers this pool that can be burried underground, thus giving the look of a "real" in-ground pool without the added expense. Does anyone have any experience w/ this type of install? Any opinions one way or the other? Thank you.

I am not a big fan of the idea. It exposes the pool wall to more moisture. On-Ground pools, IMHO, don't belong in the ground. Many years ago, a dealer tried that same pitch on me. I didn't buy it then, still don't.

Hello and happy SPRING!!! We buried a 30' Johnny Weismuller aluminum pool to the top rail last spring 2007. Our Doughboy dealer tried to sell us on his model but after many calls to local pool installers in the chicagoland area we found a unanomous opinion that no one here would sink anything but a JW pool due to the fact that the top rail does not need to be removed for a liner replacement!!! JW pools have a beaded liner just like a normal inground vinyl lined has. OUR INSTALLER HAS SUNKEN 21 of these pools without any problems in the past 4 years. I CAN ONLY HOPE OURS WILL CONTINUE THIS TROUBLEFREE TREND! Anyways he offers a 3 year warranty on any part of the installation, as we live in the midwest with it's brutal winters my main concerns were with frost heaving, he reassured me that won't be a concern as the bottom rail was below the frost line at approx.50" Our pool is 30' round and 52" deep. I will do it again if we ever move! Here are some suggestions we followed and would like to pass on, purchase a gorilla pad for the pool bottom, it goes under the pool's liner and it has a chamfered edge , it is nice and soft on your feet plus it keeps torpedo grass from penetrating the pools liner. make sure the installer uses a styrofoam backerboard approx. 1 1/2"thick to butt up immediately against the outside wall of the pool followed by 3/4 marine grade treated plywood against the pool uprights. Then comes the key to the whole install, he mixed bagged concrete mix at a rate of one 80# bag per wheelbarrow for the backfill. He did an amazing job of digging the hole for the pool, he dug it out only 24" wider than the pool . the pool has to be filled immediately after it's constructed . you cannot backfill before the pool is COMPLETLY FILLED. Only bury an aluminum walled pool and then only a pool with a beaded liner. Our install was less than 1/2 the cost of the smallest inground vinyl lined pool , and we ended up with a pool that is gigantic ! No problems as of yet! just a lot of fun! hope this was helpful.