Mixed Chlorine With Bromine

Mike J1

I never saw this problem comming. I use Leisure Time Renew/Reserve which is a bromine sanitizing system. When I ran out of the renew granules, I went to my local spa guy to get another container. The problem was that he sold me Spa 56 Chlorinating Granules instead of Renew. I never noticed the mistake until after I used the Spa 56 in the tub....

My question is...do I need to drain the tub, or can I stay with the chlorine granules until I refil? Hope you can help..I really don't feel like draining since it is below freezing today.

Renew is a non-chlorine shock. Spa 56 is chlorine.

You can shock bromine with chlorine, it will work fine. You should not have to drain. You can even use the chlorine until you get a chance to go back to your dealer, and then keep it on hand for those times you need a stronger shock, such as after a party or the kid's soccer team or whatever.

B)

To add to what Chas said...

The chlorine will oxidize the bromide ions in your water from the sodium bromide (Reserve) into hypobromous acid in exactly the same way the MPS (Renew) does. There will be no chlorine present in the water. It gets converted into chloride ions which, unlike bromide ions, cannot be changed back into chlorine (actually hypochlorous acid) easily.

To add to what Chas said...

The chlorine will oxidize the bromide ions in your water from the sodium bromide (Reserve) into hypobromous acid in exactly the same way the MPS (Renew) does. There will be no chlorine present in the water. It gets converted into chloride ions which, unlike bromide ions, cannot be changed back into chlorine (actually hypochlorous acid) easily.

Guys, thanks for your help. As always, I learn alot on this site. I am glad that I don't have to empty my tub and can keep using the Spa 56 until it is gone.

Thanks again..