Ignore *star* Ratings For Spas -

hottubrepair

Here is my experience of working at a larger spa manufacturer.

Our spas were getting a "3 Star" rating on their website. We discovered this by one of our dealers calling us after surfing the web.

We called the Eastern US company and questioned them on how they surmised the "3 Star" rating. We felt that our spas were deserving (justly) of a higher rating, so we asked how we could send them a spa to test it.

They refused and said that testing was not required.....we only needed to send a copy of our warranty and a brochure.

(Good thing we had an awesome marketing division.....) Now my company has a "5 Star - Best of Class" rating.

Since then, I have seen 2 or 3 more "Spa Ratings" materialize on other websites. A poor rating or no rating on these sites pressures manufacturers to advertise with them in order to be included and get a rating.

As an honest business person, this makes me ill.

Consumers need to be aware and realize that these "ratings" are fundamentally meaningless.

Consumers need to be aware and realize that these "ratings" are fundamentally meaningless.

I agree with you. I think for the most part, JD Powers, Good house keeping. iso9000, etc may have some good standards BUT in the end thier true value to the company's is marketing. I know there are some spa makers that are iso9000 and I am not knocking it as being a bad program it is not but it for the most part a repetitive build process and that certainly can be a plus but does not assure a better product but does help to assure that all products get produced in the exact same fashion. I think most of almost all ratings are to help a company market thier products though outside source that will lend credibility to those products.