Bought A Marquis Epic After Back To Back With D1

All,

I went for a final wet test of a D1 Lotus and then went back to the Marquis dealer and re-tested the Epic. The D1 was less satisfying than I had expected -- though clearly a very nice product. I realized that the ergonomics and the high volume therapy of the Epic was best for me. So, I am the proud owner of a 2008 Marquis Epic.

My entire search lasted some 6 weeks and I wet tested many models including:

Marquis -- Reward and Epic

D1 -- Ch2, Amore' Bay, and Lotus Bay

Master -- LX and East End

Sunddance -- Maximus

Hot Springs -- Vista and Gandee

5 dealers in total and some 3 times (Marquis and D1). I agree with everyone that folks have posted -- two key things are:

- how does it feel in wet test -- don't be afraid to go back and try again (dry tests are worthless).

- how comfortable are you with the dealer -- they will be a long time partner.

So, that is my story -- everyone's posts and replies to me especially Mike (aka, IL Parrothead) and Don (aka, Fathead) were really helpful. thanks!

I will post a picture when my new SPA is installed..... best,

mark.

I am sure you will enjoy it. The Epic is a spa that has it all for therapy. I think what you will discover when its in your home is just how nice the therapy pillar is. Very few seem to have an appreciation for it in a wet test but at home you will and it something not found on any other spa. Enjoy....

Congrats! If the weather holds, my Marquis Reward will be delivered tomorrow, hooked-up in the afternoon, and I'll be tubbing by Tuesday (might have to skip work)!

Congratulations Mark! Seems to me you did all the necessary due diligence in spa shopping....including using this forum. It's a big, complicated decision to choose a particular spa, kind of like buying a car, but with a lot less independent input to help with the decision. That's why this forum is so helpful!! Oh, and of course, wet test, wet test, wet test!! Enjoy! :lol:

Not only am I jealous that you're getting your tub before me, I'm jealous about where you live. I'm in Chicago, was supposed to fly out this afternoon for a week in Florida with the family. I just got over a 6 day bout of flu. Now my wife and 2 kids are all sick as dogs. And a blizzard is about 4 hours away. Darn it!!! Trip cancelled. Boy, I'd feel a lot better pouting in a tub. :angry:

Mark-

I have not been able to test a Marquis myself (no dealers within hundreds of miles). I've been impressed with Marquis as a company, as well as their models and features. However, I've wondered about the non-spinning jets. As a NEUTRAL, UNBIASED customer, I'd be interested in hearing how YOU felt Marquis' jets felt in comparison to the bigger brands like Hot Spring and Sundance.

(BTW, did the caps work there? Did my lack of interest in another "Marquis jet flame war" come across adequately?)

Mark-

I have not been able to test a Marquis myself (no dealers within hundreds of miles). I've been impressed with Marquis as a company, as well as their models and features. However, I've wondered about the non-spinning jets. As a NEUTRAL, UNBIASED customer, I'd be interested in hearing how YOU felt Marquis' jets felt in comparison to the bigger brands like Hot Spring and Sundance.

(BTW, did the caps work there? Did my lack of interest in another "Marquis jet flame war" come across adequately?)

DPR, Mark and I were chatting as he was searching. I, too, am an unbiased consumer. I wet tested HS, D1, Caldera, Artesian, Calspa, Jacuzzi & Marquis. Even though the other brands had spinning jets, I still felt (as did my wife) that for us (Again, minds may differ), the Marquis felt the best. And if you really want spinners, they're about $10 a piece, and I've read many posts where dealers would swap out one of the seats with spinners at time of purchase. My dealer says if I want to try them, they're an easy swap.

Hope that helps.

Mark-

DPR, Mark and I were chatting as he was searching. I, too, am an unbiased consumer. I wet tested HS, D1, Caldera, Artesian, Calspa, Jacuzzi & Marquis. Even though the other brands had spinning jets, I still felt (as did my wife) that for us (Again, minds may differ), the Marquis felt the best. And if you really want spinners, they're about $10 a piece, and I've read many posts where dealers would swap out one of the seats with spinners at time of purchase. My dealer says if I want to try them, they're an easy swap.

Hope that helps.

Took the first soak in my new Marquis Reward last night - wow! Well worth the wait! Everything was fantastic. Interestingly, the dealer installed two spinning jets for me....but they're not spinning! Oh well, small complaint. The tech has to come back out with a new light for me anyway, so he can fix those when he visits.

Anyway, the tub looks and feels great. Wifey and me took a midnight soak directly under Orion. Two full moons under the stars :lol:! Then the kids took a quick dip this morning. Gotta say - I'm only 36, but may just decide to retire and spend all my time in the tub!

Mark-

Hope that helps.

So how much was it? We need to know this stuff.

Took the first soak in my new Marquis Reward last night - wow! Well worth the wait! Everything was fantastic. Interestingly, the dealer installed two spinning jets for me....but they're not spinning! Oh well, small complaint. The tech has to come back out with a new light for me anyway, so he can fix those when he visits.

Anyway, the tub looks and feels great. Wifey and me took a midnight soak directly under Orion. Two full moons under the stars :lol:! Then the kids took a quick dip this morning. Gotta say - I'm only 36, but may just decide to retire and spend all my time in the tub!

Mark-

Hope that helps.

Price Please? I'm hoping to purchase a Reward signature series on East Coast. Dealer says we'll get a 'deal' since they're installing a pool for us. I phoned Marquis and they said dealer sets price, though they did tell me that MSRP was $10,400 for Reward signature. Ouch!

Mark-

Hope that helps.

Price Please? I'm hoping to purchase a Reward signature series on East Coast. Dealer says we'll get a 'deal' since they're installing a pool for us. I phoned Marquis and they said dealer sets price, though they did tell me that MSRP was $10,400 for Reward signature. Ouch!

I always hate to enter these discussions because I know they vary so much region-to-region and dealer-to-dealer. But, here in central NC, I paid 6500 out the door for a 2007 floor model that they'd had since August. It is a signiture series, but doesn't have the extra toys (like stereo, etc.). That price included cover, cover lifter, and installation. It's a great tub - good luck!

Mark-

Hope that helps.

I always hate to enter these discussions because I know they vary so much region-to-region and dealer-to-dealer. But, here in central NC, I paid 6500 out the door for a 2007 floor model that they'd had since August. It is a signiture series, but doesn't have the extra toys (like stereo, etc.). That price included cover, cover lifter, and installation. It's a great tub - good luck!

Thanks for pricing info. I really appreciate it!

I know that shipping to dealer is cost factor plus there are a lot of other variables. Glad to hear you like the tub so much. Hopefully it will be within our budget!

Hi D.P.Roberts,

Sorry for the delayed response -- have been working the back yard plan for my SPA. Regarding your question about jets. I wet test 3 D1's that all had spinning jets. They were different than the Marquis, but not really better. I thought I would want to have the Marquis jets changed but then wet tested back to back -- and found that the high flow of the Marquis was great and unique to this SPA -- so, I was not inclined to start changing things out. Also, I noticed that some of the D1 spinners stopped spinning... anyway, I came away no longer convinced that this was really a factor.

What I did think, was that for me the Marquis therapy seemed deeper (due to higher water flow?) and I didn't seem to get as overheated -- hard to explain why but I had the sense that I could stay in the Marquis alot longer and get its benefit.

Now having said all that, I was highly impressed by the virtual spinners of the Sundance. The jets use a swirl via internal nonmechanical design -- I found these jets very nice -- maybe I was biased that as an Aerospace engineer, I was impressed by a fluid dynamics solution rather than a brute force mechanical one -- but none the less they were very nice -- I just didn't fit into the Sundance.

Good luck,

mark.

Mark-

I think that $10.4K seems high for a reward -- location must have an effect, but I bought the larger Epic (2008) for just under $10K.

mark.

I think that $10.4K seems high for a reward -- location must have an effect, but I bought the larger Epic (2008) for just under $10K.

mark.

The East coast has huge price differences from area to area. Look around to the smaller towns away from the resort type areas and you may have better luck. What i can sell a tub for (ski area) is $1000.00 plus different than a friend who carries the same line in a town not near any attraction areas.