Yellow Tub Stain Due To Ozone Generator?

Voodoo

Hi Folks,

We just noticed a yellowish stain inside of our tub.. it is underwater opposite the circ pump/ozonator outlet, and is about 10" in diameter. Could the ozonator spray have caused this?? The tub is acrylic and white in color, the stain is like a nicotine yellow.

My wife tried wiping out the stain with a sponge but it wouldn't budge.

Details:

- 6 month old Caldera Tahitian, white acrylic interior, 360 gal.

- Water has been crystal clear and odor free.

- Use of pool has been minimal during winter.. not more than 2 persons/visits per week.

- Used normal chlorine based chems for 1st 4 months,

- Used Clorox plain bleach for past 2 months (1/4 cup weekly or after use, occasional 1/2 cup to shock).

- During the winter we only do a 'full' round of chemicals once per month (everything other than the bleach)

- Our water hardness is low, our test strips during the winter months have been pretty close to ideal.

- Chemicals are always added while pumps are running, and not in the area of the stain spot.

Your comments are apreciated!

Thanks

Pat

Hi Folks,

We just noticed a yellowish stain inside of our tub.. it is underwater opposite the circ pump/ozonator outlet, and is about 10" in diameter. Could the ozonator spray have caused this?? The tub is acrylic and white in color, the stain is like a nicotine yellow.

My wife tried wiping out the stain with a sponge but it wouldn't budge.

Details:

- 6 month old Caldera Tahitian, white acrylic interior, 360 gal.

- Water has been crystal clear and odor free.

- Use of pool has been minimal during winter.. not more than 2 persons/visits per week.

- Used normal chlorine based chems for 1st 4 months,

- Used Clorox plain bleach for past 2 months (1/4 cup weekly or after use, occasional 1/2 cup to shock).

- During the winter we only do a 'full' round of chemicals once per month (everything other than the bleach)

- Our water hardness is low, our test strips during the winter months have been pretty close to ideal.

- Chemicals are always added while pumps are running, and not in the area of the stain spot.

Your comments are apreciated!

Thanks

Pat

Hopefully you are adding your chems/bleach with the jets on so that the chemicals/bleach doesen't get concentrated in one spot and discolor the spa shell.

Do you add the chems/bleah in the same spot each time, what's your program? I always turn on my jet pumps then add my chems/bleach. I use bleach as waterbear on this forum suggest and now on year two of no hassle use with no side effects.

I knew I shouldn't have shocked that spa with a galn of ULTRA bleach :lol:

Hi, I, also, had a small nicotine colored area in my spa. My spa is a pretty pearl color. It was directly around the jet for the ozonator. I tried wiping it off with water in the spa, no luck. When I initially filled the tub I did not use the fastgloss product that was recommended. When I drained and refilled the spa, the spot came right off with the use of the fastgloss and hasn't come back. Hope that helps.

Hi, I, also, had a small nicotine colored area in my spa. My spa is a pretty pearl color. It was directly around the jet for the ozonator. I tried wiping it off with water in the spa, no luck. When I initially filled the tub I did not use the fastgloss product that was recommended. When I drained and refilled the spa, the spot came right off with the use of the fastgloss and hasn't come back. Hope that helps.

Ozone does produce a yellow, kind of sticky substance, you can see it in the line coming off the ozone generator. I think Tiny Bubbles is right, clean the spa when you drain it and apply spa gloss. We spa gloss all of our customers tubs for them before they go out the door and we have not seen this issue. We have seen it on a couple of tubs in the field, only on the white and sea spray green for some reason.

A cause of the stains may be high iron levels in your water. Iron tends to stain yellow to orange to rust. Ozone acts as an oxidizer and the ozone oxidizes the iron particles in your water causing staining. High levels of iron would stain a rust color whereas lesser concentrations would stain closer to yellow.

Have you tested your water for metals?

Ken

Wow, Thanks for all the quick replies.

Fast Gloss? I'll check into that Thanks!

We'll also take a water sample into our spa dealer for analysis.

- - - -

We had another thought in the meantime..

The stained area is directly above the heater / electronics area. Back in November we had a runaway heater problem (not exactly runanway, but we'd find the temp as high as 110F though we set it for 101. the dealer promptly fixed it.

Not sure if it ever got higher than 110 but we'll take a look in the 'box' and see if there's any heat damage.

Thanks again...

Pat