I Bought A Spa

Hex92

After wet testing at least 7 different tubs my wife made a decision. We tested Hot Springs and Hot Spot tubs and a couple of Tiger Rivers.

We had a size limitation. One side couldn't be more than 84" and we wanted to pay ~$5000. Our final three choices were the:

Hot Spot Mallorca - I loved the lounger, it blew my wife out of the seat though and it cost $5400. Nice power all around on the tub...maybe too much. Had to take the floor model in a color we didn't like to get that price. It only has a two year warranty.

The Hot Spring Jetsetter @ $6000. Great tub. We liked the moto-massage a LOT, great warranty, and Hot Springs makes a good tub that even the competitors complement. But it was a little too small... and more than I wanted to pay.

The winner: Vita Reflections Seville. It was a little smaller than the Mallorca - which was a good thing. It had the best balance of power, size and price. The warranty was longer than the Mallorca. We bought it from East Coast Leisure. They have 4 stores in the area, and are apparently are associated with other stores. So they have buying power to get the tubs outfitted different than the standard three levels. I think the name is changing to 'Soria' (I don't have the receipt handy). Ours is going to be the color we want, fully foam insulated, with ozonator, cover lifter, 3 months of chemicals and steps for $4600.

It will arrive in 3-4 weeks.

Now I have to run power, reinforce the deck and throw up a couple of fence panels to block the view from the street.

Good for you! Welcome to Spatopia. May you soak long and prosper.

Let us know if you need any help with care and feeding of the tub once it arrives.

B)

• 1 month later...

FIRST SOAK TONIGHT!

It took a little longer to get the spa delivered than the original estimate, but it finally showed up today. The high was 49 today and it was 39 by the time we got in the tub (@100F). We took a nice looong soak. Almost 45 minutes. Everything is great except one jet seems to be in its slot a bit cockeyed so we can't adjust it, and the guys who delivered it were missing something to hook up the ozonater.

But that turns out to be a good thing since they are coming back to hook up the ozone they can fix the jet at the same time.

The wife and I played with the jets, checked out the seating, played with the lights, drank a gin and tonic and really enjoyed ourselves. Its only been 13 hours since the power was kicked on to the tub, but so far we love it.

FIRST SOAK TONIGHT!

It took a little longer to get the spa delivered than the original estimate, but it finally showed up today. The high was 49 today and it was 39 by the time we got in the tub (@100F). We took a nice looong soak. Almost 45 minutes. Everything is great except one jet seems to be in its slot a bit cockeyed so we can't adjust it, and the guys who delivered it were missing something to hook up the ozonater.

But that turns out to be a good thing since they are coming back to hook up the ozone they can fix the jet at the same time.

The wife and I played with the jets, checked out the seating, played with the lights, drank a gin and tonic and really enjoyed ourselves. Its only been 13 hours since the power was kicked on to the tub, but so far we love it.

Congrats! just shows you don't have to lay out alot of dough for a nice soothing soak! Enjoy!

• 2 months later...
After wet testing at least 7 different tubs my wife made a decision. We tested Hot Springs and Hot Spot tubs and a couple of Tiger Rivers.

We had a size limitation. One side couldn't be more than 84" and we wanted to pay ~$5000. Our final three choices were the:

Hot Spot Mallorca - I loved the lounger, it blew my wife out of the seat though and it cost $5400. Nice power all around on the tub...maybe too much. Had to take the floor model in a color we didn't like to get that price. It only has a two year warranty.

The Hot Spring Jetsetter @ $6000. Great tub. We liked the moto-massage a LOT, great warranty, and Hot Springs makes a good tub that even the competitors complement. But it was a little too small... and more than I wanted to pay.

The winner: Vita Reflections Seville. It was a little smaller than the Mallorca - which was a good thing. It had the best balance of power, size and price. The warranty was longer than the Mallorca. We bought it from East Coast Leisure. They have 4 stores in the area, and are apparently are associated with other stores. So they have buying power to get the tubs outfitted different than the standard three levels. I think the name is changing to 'Soria' (I don't have the receipt handy). Ours is going to be the color we want, fully foam insulated, with ozonator, cover lifter, 3 months of chemicals and steps for $4600.

It will arrive in 3-4 weeks.

Now I have to run power, reinforce the deck and throw up a couple of fence panels to block the view from the street.

We are getting a new hot tub, and wanted to know what you did to reinforce your deck?

thanks

We are getting a new hot tub, and wanted to know what you did to reinforce your deck?

thanks

To reinforce the deck I doubled up the joists. They were 2x6s. So I popped the side off the deck so I could slide new ones in next to the old ones. I screwed them together and then also sunk screws in from the deck surface into the new boards.

After that I bought 3 of these

http://www.ellisok.com/ellisok/timberjackp...screwjacks.html

I used a 4x4 as a beam to run perpendicular to the joists. I used closed edge cinder blocks for footers and put the screw jacks at either end and in the middle of the beam. This cut the span to only 3 feet.

Use this span calculator to determine what your current deck can support

I totally over engineered mine. My span was only 6 feet and I have a 375 gallon tub. So I may have been able to get away with doing nothing, but I figured more is better. Its been 3 months and everything is holding fine. They delivered a replacement tub yesterday (a story for another thread) and the deck looked great.