Pool Plumbing, Drain Tile And Retaining Wall Question

dlsdo

I am currently bidding on vinyl inground pools in the midwest.

Some builders use multiple individual plumbing runs for every skimmer and drain and others have one run to and from the pump. The guy who does multiple individual runs says that its easier on the pump and makes opening and closing the pool easier. The other guy says the more plumbing runs you make the greater the chance of mechanical failure of the plumbing joints and the pump does just fine. What is the best way?

Also..Some builders backfill with rock over a drain tile that surrounds the pool and some say drain tile is unecessary because the rock drains as well as the drain tile. Whats the best way?

Finally...We are building are pool into a sloping grade and are going to require a 90ft x 15 ft retaining wall. Some builders have said a traditional versalock retaining wall is appropriate while others have said the wall will need to be reinforced with piers??

Thanks for the help

I can try to help and speak from my experience building pools in the Midwest. In regards to the plumbing lines when my company builds pools we plumb each line with its own valve. It sounds more like the first builder your talking about. There are many advantages, opening and closing the pool is easier, you can close down the main drains to get more suction while vacuuming. In terms of having more problems down the road with more plumbing lines in case they were to develop a leak I would disagree with your second builder saying that is more difficult to work on if there are more lines. The fact is with individually plumbed lines if you were to develop a leak you can isolate by plugging the return and or skimmer and closing the correct valve. Then the pool is still usable, not leaking, and you can determine what course of action need to be taken to repair the line. In practice gluing pvc isn’t all that difficult, and usually leaks don't just develop. If the pool isn't winterized properly you’re screwed either way, and no matter how its plumbed its not going to stop a line that has water in it, its probably going to break.

As for your second question about what backfill material to use, if your backfilling with pea gravel it essentially has the same effect that a drainage tile would have. Water will drain through it and not pool against the panels that make up the wall of your pool. While it wouldn’t hurt by any stretch, it seems a little redundant. If your builder is planning on using sand for backfill material then I would probably insist on a tile.

I don't know anything about retaining walls so I won't offer any opinions for your third question.

Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

I can try to help and speak from my experience building pools in the Midwest. In regards to the plumbing lines when my company builds pools we plumb each line with its own valve. It sounds more like the first builder your talking about. There are many advantages, opening and closing the pool is easier, you can close down the main drains to get more suction while vacuuming. In terms of having more problems down the road with more plumbing lines in case they were to develop a leak I would disagree with your second builder saying that is more difficult to work on if there are more lines. The fact is with individually plumbed lines if you were to develop a leak you can isolate by plugging the return and or skimmer and closing the correct valve. Then the pool is still usable, not leaking, and you can determine what course of action need to be taken to repair the line. In practice gluing pvc isn’t all that difficult, and usually leaks don't just develop. If the pool isn't winterized properly you’re screwed either way, and no matter how its plumbed its not going to stop a line that has water in it, its probably going to break.

As for your second question about what backfill material to use, if your backfilling with pea gravel it essentially has the same effect that a drainage tile would have. Water will drain through it and not pool against the panels that make up the wall of your pool. While it wouldn’t hurt by any stretch, it seems a little redundant. If your builder is planning on using sand for backfill material then I would probably insist on a tile.

I don't know anything about retaining walls so I won't offer any opinions for your third question.

Hope this helps.

agreed, individual plumbing lines is the only way to go!! well....not the only way, but the best way. the old fashioned way of using t's to tie it all in and run just two lines to the system works fine and has for 40 years+. but the individual lines, as the builder told you, really make the water flow better and sure make it nice for the crew winterizing the pool. anyone who tries talking you out of it by saying there is more potential for leaks may not how to glue the pipe properly, or is old school form the days of using black poly pipe with mechanical (hose clamps/threaded) joints under ground. THOSE WILL FAIL EVENTUALLY. but modern pvc pipe is chemically bonded together. the chemicals clean the pipe as well as chemically melt it together. they previous poster was right, pvc pipe leaks just don't happen. always another cause. Now flexible pvc is another issue. Run far away from any builder who tries selling a job with flex. rigid pvc, glued joints will last longer than you will!!!

For my two cents, your new pool is a significant investment and it is not easy to change the plumbing after the fact, so get your pool builders (or the one you like best) to explain the differences and why they recommend the choice they made. Like the other answers here, I would prefer to have individual lines because it provides more choices down the road. Many times the main drain line is connected through a skimmer to prevent running the pump dry if the water level gets too low.

A 15 foot high retaining wall is a significant structural element that should be designed by a structural engineer based upon an on-site soils evaluation by a geotechnical engineer. Your investment in your pool is too great not to use the right professionals for the job. It might cost you more up front in design fees but do you really want something almost two stories in height moving any more than anticipated (all cantilevered retaining walls do move some). Slope stability and drainage will be critical for your retaining wall, so spend a little more money during construction to get the structural engineer (and maybe geotechnical engineer) out to review the site during construction.

If you have not yet done so, check your local library for books on the subject of building a pool. I have a short review of two books on my blog (noted below) and I have not yet gotten around to reviewing “The Swimming Pool” which is another book I like that is geared towards new pool construction.