How Do I Know If I Have A Pump Failing?

David66

Without getting too long-winded, I'll try to explain a situation I'm having with my D1 Nautilus. Not too long after I got it in September, I noticed that pump one didn't seem to be working right. During some soaks, it seemed like it would would vacillate between the proper volume and power, and something that I can only describe as "half power". It pumps normally for a few seconds, then drops down to a lower output. You can hear it, and feel it, and observe it in the center jet that points straight up. It's noticeable, yet subtle, but tonight it was downright annoying. I think it's getting worse, to the point where it is at its "half volume" more than the full volume. It seems as though it doesn't act up when pump 2 is off, but I'm not even sure of that. I thought maybe it had something to do with the position of the diverter valve, but now I'm not sure of that either. I don't know enough about these things to diagnose anything, but, maybe air is getting in the lines somehow? Or maybe the pump is failing? How does a pump usually fail? Does it die completely, or does it do something weird like I've described before it dies completely?

I want to at least be knowledgeable before I call the dealer, because I can foresee him saying, "well, it seems OK to me". Unless you soak in it for awhile, you might not even notice it, especially is music is playing or you are talking with other people in the tub and not paying attention.

Anyone want to venture a guess?

Thanks,

David

Sound like it is surging - based on just a quick read of your post. That means it is getting air into the intake, and can be cause by something as simple a a low water level, or enough agitation in the tub allowing air to be drawn into the inlet.

A couple of things to try - with nobody in the tub, can you see air going into the suction? Does it do it less if there are people in the tub: specifically more people than just one? Try raising the water level a couple inches and see if it stops.

If no luck with the above, try to observe the fittings on the pump while it is running. Especially just as you shut it off.

And finally - observe the pump when running and try to note if the motor seems to be dropping in speed, or if the water flow is simply slowing and speeding up again. You can check this by listening carefully to the pump motor - perhaps put the end of a stick on the motor itself and hold that to your ear - and then watching to see if it surges.

HTH

B)