Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

John Quincy

Is the much cheaper,Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Test Kit K-2006 & K-2106, fine for tesing my soon to be arriving spa? After much research last night on this board and others, I have decided to go with chlorine based sanitation.

Here are my choices:

Complete (Chlorine $68.83):

Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Test Kit K-2006 & K-2106

Service Complete $122.06:

Taylor Service Complete FAS-DPD Kit K-2006C

Is the much cheaper,Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Test Kit K-2006 & K-2106, fine for tesing my soon to be arriving spa? After much research last night on this board and others, I have decided to go with chlorine based sanitation.

Here are my choices:

The K-2106 tests for Bromine, not Chlorine (the FAS-DPD tests use different titrating reagents for chlorine than for bromine). The K-2006C is the same as the K-2006 except that there is a larger quantity of reagents so you get more tests. First of all, I would start by looking at the kits directly from Taylor for a baseline retail price for the K-2006 and K-2006C. Then the best price for the K-2006 can be found on the web at Swimming Pool Supply Company here. Finally, you can get the very similar TF100 test kit from tftestkits.com here and though it appears to be more expensive, it actually has 36% more volume of reagents so is comparable in price (for what you get) to the Taylor kit from Swimming Pool Supply Company. The TF100 is a little different than the K-2006 and this is described in this post. Basically, you don't get the acid/base demand tests that aren't very useful anyway (they don't usually have enough resolution) and you get a CYA test that measures down to 20 ppm instead of 30 ppm. The pH test has a broader range, but I like my K-2006 better for that (I have both), but others prefer the TF100. The TF100 also has a quick OTO chlorine test which is useful for daily rough measurements after you get a hang of how much chlorine to add in a regular routine. The TF100 is probably your best bet for the spa, but the Swimming Pool Supply Company K-2006 Taylor kit would be fine as well. Any other K-2006 test kits are more expensive for the same thing.

Richard

Here are my choices:

The K-2106 tests for Bromine, not Chlorine (the FAS-DPD tests use different titrating reagents for chlorine than for bromine). The K-2006C is the same as the K-2006 except that there is a larger quantity of reagents so you get more tests. First of all, I would start by looking at the kits directly from Taylor for a baseline retail price for the K-2006 and K-2006C. Then the best price for the K-2006 can be found on the web at Swimming Pool Supply Company here. Finally, you can get the very similar TF100 test kit from tftestkits.com here and though it appears to be more expensive, it actually has 36% more volume of reagents so is comparable in price (for what you get) to the Taylor kit from Swimming Pool Supply Company. The TF100 is a little different than the K-2006 and this is described in this post. Basically, you don't get the acid/base demand tests that aren't very useful anyway (they don't usually have enough resolution) and you get a CYA test that measures down to 20 ppm instead of 30 ppm. The pH test has a broader range, but I like my K-2006 better for that (I have both), but others prefer the TF100. The TF100 also has a quick OTO chlorine test which is useful for daily rough measurements after you get a hang of how much chlorine to add in a regular routine. The TF100 is probably your best bet for the spa, but the Swimming Pool Supply Company K-2006 Taylor kit would be fine as well. Any other K-2006 test kits are more expensive for the same thing.

Richard

Thanks for the excellent summary of choices.

The TF100 does seem like a better choice: 36% more reagent volume, more granularity on the CYA test and a quick OTO chorine test.

It is my understanding that reagents have about a one year shelf life. Is this true?

Approximately how long will the TF100 reagents last if I am testing on a routine basis?

Some reagents last longer than others. The FAS-DPD titrating reagent probably has the shortest shelf-life (it's also light-sensitive which is why it's in an opaque bottle) and though officially should be replaced after one year, you could probably get by with up to two years but not more than that. The DPD powder is sensitive to humidity and temperature so if you always close it quickly after use and keep it in a cool place, then it should last up to two years, but after one year you may notice it getting a little clumpy -- if it turns very dark, then it's no good. The other reagents probably last more than two years but changing the reagents every two years isn't that expensive. The only ones that last a very, very long time are acids and bases as in the acid/base demand test (that the TF100 does not have) or the sulfuric acid used in the TA titrating test.

waterbear could give some better advice in this area and hopefully I haven't been too far off with the above.

Richard

I use the K-2006 on a daily basis and wouldn't use any other kit. The DPD powder is much more accurate and overall the kit is easy to use with simple instructions.

Just to be clear, the TF100 kit has BOTH a FAS-DPD chlorine test AND an OTO chlorine test, the latter for quick daily tests and the former when you want or need more accuracy. I'm sorry I didn't write that in my post about the TF100.

Well, I have a k-2006, k-2005, TFTestkit 100, and a few other kits (Such as PoolForum's PS-234s and a LaMotte kit and an AquaChem kit which has been discontinued, among others) and use LaMotte, Taylor, and AquaTrend test "kits" at work along with Goldline and MyronL meters and a LaMotte colorimeter so I might know a little bit about water tesing ;) . I also have some speciality kits for testing such things as salt level, orthophospates, metals, etc. in my personal collection.

I recommend either the K-2006 or the TFTestkit 100. The TFTestkit 100 is a better value for the money IMHO because it contains more of certain reagents and included the OTO test and a wider range pH test and CYA than the K-2006 but it does not include the acid and base demand tests, which are not really that useful IMHO. Either kit would be an excellent choice. If you get the K-2006 and want to add the full functionality of the TFtestkit 100 you would also need to add a Taylor K-1000 to add the OTO/pH daily tester and a K-1721 to add the wider range CYA test (but this probably is not as useful as the K-1000 would be.) You would also then have the acid and base demand tests in the K-2006. I find that I use the pH test in the K-1000 more than the one in the K-2006, btw.

Chemgeek is pretty much on the money about reagent life. The FAS-DPD titrant should probably be replaced every year or two, the DPD powder when it turns black, and all the other reagents should be good for at least a few years IF (and this is a big IF) you store the kit in the house in a controlled enviroment (read air conditioning). Also, make sure your reagents are tightly capped between use! If you store it outside or in the garage then I would replace all reagents yearly. You can extent the life of the DPD powder if you vacuum seal it (if you own a vacuum sealer like the foodsaver) during the off season. Light, air, and moisture are its worst enemies.