Filter Skimmer "sock" - Am I Crazy?

Tank

Ok - so I'm a few months into ownership of a Sundance Chelsee tub. We're really thrilled, and it's used by mom, dad, and 2 teens (and their friends) probably to the tune of 2 peeps/daily. I have been fighting water quality issues since early on - with the tub going cloudy/greenish in fairly short order after a fill (week or less sometimes, 2 weeks if I'm lucky even with weekly shocks). Sometimes I can wrestle it back with Dichlor and/or MPS shock, others I just drain refill. Have probably filled 5-6 times in 4 months so I'm going through a lot of water changes.

I know some of this is detergent, teens/wifes makeup, lotion, etc and unavoidable. But it's also environmental. I struggle for hours to clean my pleated filter regularly and just pulling the leaves, grass, bugs, (yucch!), hair, lint balls, propellers, seeds, etc out of my pleated filter-and it just seems like water flowing over all that gunk has to wash the organics out and contribute. And there's no easy way to get that stuff OUT of the filter so it probably stays in longer than it should (between cleanings). Much of it doesn't "rinse" even with a garden hose and has to be "plucked". Which has me screaming... "WHY ISN'T THERE A SKIMMER?"

So - HERE'S MY QUESTION:

Since there isn't a well to add a skimmer, I considered trying to build something like a net - but then I had a thought. Can I just add some sort of "sock" over the pleated filter? Seems like it would make a huge difference, make it much easier to pull out and clean the grass etc, and would extend the life of the filter from reduced scrubbing, etc.

Has anyone ever done it? does it make sense? Can I save myself 2 hours worth of fingers-probing every crack of a pleated filter with a queen-size pair of L'egs? (do they make them anymore?). Seems like a simple idea, so surely someone has the answer.

LEMME KNOW FOLKS! Please?!?

thanks!

Mine has a prefilter, basically filter material with a wire frame that sits on a lip above the filters.

The pantyhose sounds like a viable solution, but may be a PITA gettin them on and off and may require you to pull

the filter each time...

If you could make prefilter that sits on top of the filter, I think it would be much easier to maintain.

How in the heck does all that stuff get in the tub? Don't you leave it covered? I understand hair, etc, but all the leaves, bugs and grass seem odd.

Wish I knew! :D My tub's on a patio in a corner against my house. It is always covered when not in use, but it is used quite a bit. I think it's the kids in and out picking up grass clippings and dirt off the patio. Plus it's in a pretty wooded location, and a bit breezy, and a nearby maple tree that loves to drop it's "helicopter seeds", and it's fall, etc, etc. I've only seen a few actual bugs - though the one giagantic cicada just creeped me out! :)

Mine has a prefilter, basically filter material with a wire frame that sits on a lip above the filters.

The pantyhose sounds like a viable solution, but may be a PITA gettin them on and off and may require you to pull

the filter each time...

If you could make prefilter that sits on top of the filter, I think it would be much easier to maintain.

Yeah - I considered that, but the filter rests sideways, and there's no real surface to cover. You're right though - covering the filter will require removing to clean it properly. But that still has to be easer than what I'm doing now - which still involves removing it.

I appreciate the response!

Ok - so I'm a few months into ownership of a Sundance Chelsee tub. We're really thrilled, and it's used by mom, dad, and 2 teens (and their friends) probably to the tune of 2 peeps/daily. I have been fighting water quality issues since early on - with the tub going cloudy/greenish in fairly short order after a fill (week or less sometimes, 2 weeks if I'm lucky even with weekly shocks). Sometimes I can wrestle it back with Dichlor and/or MPS shock, others I just drain refill. Have probably filled 5-6 times in 4 months so I'm going through a lot of water changes.

I know some of this is detergent, teens/wifes makeup, lotion, etc and unavoidable. But it's also environmental. I struggle for hours to clean my pleated filter regularly and just pulling the leaves, grass, bugs, (yucch!), hair, lint balls, propellers, seeds, etc out of my pleated filter-and it just seems like water flowing over all that gunk has to wash the organics out and contribute. And there's no easy way to get that stuff OUT of the filter so it probably stays in longer than it should (between cleanings). Much of it doesn't "rinse" even with a garden hose and has to be "plucked". Which has me screaming... "WHY ISN'T THERE A SKIMMER?"

So - HERE'S MY QUESTION:

Since there isn't a well to add a skimmer, I considered trying to build something like a net - but then I had a thought. Can I just add some sort of "sock" over the pleated filter? Seems like it would make a huge difference, make it much easier to pull out and clean the grass etc, and would extend the life of the filter from reduced scrubbing, etc.

Has anyone ever done it? does it make sense? Can I save myself 2 hours worth of fingers-probing every crack of a pleated filter with a queen-size pair of L'egs? (do they make them anymore?). Seems like a simple idea, so surely someone has the answer.

thanks!

'Tank', That sock idea just might work. You could try nylon stockings also. :lol: I'm serious. The nylon may not restrict the water flow as much as a sock would. :D

I'm not sure how other people's filters look. If I put a nylon over mine, I would think that when the filter isn't running the stuff would float back into the tub. I'm assuming the pleats in the filter are designed for things to get stuck in them. If the stuff can't get back into your tub, then that would be a good idea. I'd tell those kids to hose off their feet and legs before getting in. You could get a skimmer net either from a spa store or pick one up at wal-mart in the fish section and try to skim stuff off the water before it gets to your filter. Good luck, it sounds like a real pain in the neck right now.

So - HERE'S MY QUESTION:

thanks!

'Tank', That sock idea just might work. You could try nylon stockings also. :lol: I'm serious. The nylon may not restrict the water flow as much as a sock would. :D

Actually the stockings were what I had in mind, bigzz! I got a pair of white panty-hose today. Only the upper section fit (the...umm... "body part" I guess?). So I cut the legs off - which turned out to be needed anyway because the filter needs to be open a both ends.

Seems to work - I'll keep you posted. Curious about the "drift back" possibility as well.

[quote name='Tank' post='43268'

Actually the stockings were what I had in mind, bigzz! I got a pair of white panty-hose today. Only the upper section fit (the...umm... "body part" I guess?). So I cut the legs off - which turned out to be needed anyway because the filter needs to be open a both ends.

Seems to work - I'll keep you posted. Curious about the "drift back" possibility as well.

'Tank', It's funny that we could chose screen names like "Tank" and "Biggz", and we're discussing stockings and pantyhose. :o:P:lol:

Actuallly i've seen such and accessory at a spa dealer, the problem was that it wasn't available in all size. But it is a white nylo type tube that strech over the filter and has a tie down rope at the open end. It is machine washable and cost about $25 . It was very similar to a nylon stocking mabe a bit more sturdier.

Actuallly i've seen such and accessory at a spa dealer, the problem was that it wasn't available in all size. But it is a white nylo type tube that strech over the filter and has a tie down rope at the open end. It is machine washable and cost about $25 . It was very similar to a nylon stocking mabe a bit more sturdier.

That sounds exactly like what I'd need. (except for the price :P ). Have you seen it on line by any chance? I'm about 3 days into using the stocking approach, and so far it seems to be working - I'm curious if the material will hold up. If anything the stocking might be a bit too fine - I've noticed it can trap tiny air bubles under it. I don't really see that as a problem, but it is interesting to note.

Thanks for the tip!

I'm not sure how other people's filters look. If I put a nylon over mine, I would think that when the filter isn't running the stuff would float back into the tub. I'm assuming the pleats in the filter are designed for things to get stuck in them. If the stuff can't get back into your tub, then that would be a good idea. I'd tell those kids to hose off their feet and legs before getting in. You could get a skimmer net either from a spa store or pick one up at wal-mart in the fish section and try to skim stuff off the water before it gets to your filter. Good luck, it sounds like a real pain in the neck right now.

Quite brilliant Tiny ...the idea that the filter is supposed to capture all that junk ...or more precisely trap it, so it cannot get back into the spa. White stockings... so as to avoid any dye being leeched by the chemicals... nothing more disheartening than a BROWN spa! :o Tank you are on to something, but I think you could only see a *real* time/effort savings with something you could throw away, otherwise you're just adding another thing to clean (sock whatever). Might be better to come up with better equipment to ease the cleaning of the pleated filter. I have a great hose nozzle with a super single jet that wails on my filters, but I'm feeling your pain. When my spa went green I found a dead frog in the filter compartment (AcK!) ...he'd been in there for awhile.

Paper works in your tub because it's neutral and non-reactive, so nylon stocking sounds like an OK material... for example metal screen would be bad. I just bought some wine at the store and they put this plastic expanded mesh stuff over the bottles so they wouldn't clink together and break. Something like that might work to keep out the helicopters and not restrict the flow and NOT require any cleaning. Ok went googling and found some ideas... laundry/diaper bag. Sort of like a fine fishnet stocking, cheap and easily purchased. Mrs.Tank is going to start looking at your funny if you start having charges on your credit card for fishnet/stockings etc ;)

If anyone wants to go commercial... I found this

• 2 weeks later...
Quite brilliant Tiny ...the idea that the filter is supposed to capture all that junk ...or more precisely trap it, so it cannot get back into the spa. White stockings... so as to avoid any dye being leeched by the chemicals... nothing more disheartening than a BROWN spa! :o Tank you are on to something, but I think you could only see a *real* time/effort savings with something you could throw away, otherwise you're just adding another thing to clean (sock whatever). Might be better to come up with better equipment to ease the cleaning of the pleated filter. I have a great hose nozzle with a super single jet that wails on my filters, but I'm feeling your pain. When my spa went green I found a dead frog in the filter compartment (AcK!) ...he'd been in there for awhile.

Paper works in your tub because it's neutral and non-reactive, so nylon stocking sounds like an OK material... for example metal screen would be bad. I just bought some wine at the store and they put this plastic expanded mesh stuff over the bottles so they wouldn't clink together and break. Something like that might work to keep out the helicopters and not restrict the flow and NOT require any cleaning. Ok went googling and found some ideas... laundry/diaper bag. Sort of like a fine fishnet stocking, cheap and easily purchased. Mrs.Tank is going to start looking at your funny if you start having charges on your credit card for fishnet/stockings etc ;)

Thanks B0Darc.. and thanks for the link! I'm definitely thinking of the stockings as a disposable item, and yes, they're white - for all the reasons you mentioned :) So far it's been in place a few weeks and the spa seems to be holding up nicely - and the filter is definitely easier to clean. I just "spin" it and pull the leaves or other debris off the nylon without removing the filter. I haven't noticed any "float back" of items - nor anything floating and NOT getting picked-up by the filter. I'm guessing that's because my tub has a 24hr continuous flow pump - so there's always some flow into the skimmer/filter. The water looks good and the filter itself just seems cleaner with it (under the stocking that is). All I see is an occasional bubble that builds up under the mesh. It really does seem to be working better for me. Then again, it's winter, leaves are mostly gone, and we've had our first snow.. so fewer items to get in in the first place! :) Who knows? Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye on it, but so far I recommend it! no apparent ill-effects that I can see! I'll take a look at the laundry bag too!

Would it be helpful if I posted a picture so folks can understand what I'm talking about?

Thanks B0Darc.. and thanks for the link! I'm definitely thinking of the stockings as a disposable item, and yes, they're white - for all the reasons you mentioned :) So far it's been in place a few weeks and the spa seems to be holding up nicely - and the filter is definitely easier to clean. I just "spin" it and pull the leaves or other debris off the nylon without removing the filter. I haven't noticed any "float back" of items - nor anything floating and NOT getting picked-up by the filter. I'm guessing that's because my tub has a 24hr continuous flow pump - so there's always some flow into the skimmer/filter. The water looks good and the filter itself just seems cleaner with it (under the stocking that is). All I see is an occasional bubble that builds up under the mesh. It really does seem to be working better for me. Then again, it's winter, leaves are mostly gone, and we've had our first snow.. so fewer items to get in in the first place! :) Who knows? Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye on it, but so far I recommend it! no apparent ill-effects that I can see! I'll take a look at the laundry bag too!

Would it be helpful if I posted a picture so folks can understand what I'm talking about?

I used to have a Softub and the filter element was wrapped by a nylon sock with a string on the open end to tie off so the scok wouldn't fall off. It was quite some time ago, but I think Softub used to sell these for around $10. They stretch and I am sure would fit most spa filters. I don't think they sell through dealers any more but believe they still have a web site to get accessories.

Tank,

In addition to using a skimmer sock (which is a good idea), you should also consider changing your sanitation regimen to using Dichlor iniitally every day for about 1-2 weeks after a fresh fill -- always keeping at least some measurable Free Chlorine (FC) in the water and targetting 4 ppm FC for each daily addition -- and then switch to unscented bleach (Clorox Regular or off-brand Ultra). If your tub is 350 gallons, then the proper dose is 2 teaspoons of Dichlor or 3 fluid ounces of bleach. I suspect that the water is going bad not just from the junk getting put in, but also from inadequate sanitation (it sounded like you weren't adding chlorine daily) so that algae may be forming. So after the last daily use (i.e. once per day), add the proper dose of Dichlor (first 1-2 weeks) or bleach (rest of the time). Let us know what happens if you do this.

Richard

In Tar-Get I saw a lingerie bag which was made from a very small weave of while nylon fishnet, maybe twice as small as a normal laundry bag weave. It was n the ironing board section. Remember you could just tie it loosely over the whole filter thingy, regardless of design (as long as bag was big enough). It doesn't have to fit tight. I worry that a nylon stocking might get restricted in the flow dept too quickly... no?

• 1 month later...

I think you need to get an education on how to keep spa water clear. If your dealer does not know, then call another dealer.

Keep the Chlorine at 3 ppm or Bromine at 5 ppm. You will never have cloudy water if you follow these simple rules.

There are automatic "floating" tablet systems that only need refilling on a weekly basis if powdered dichlor is not working for you.

In my experience, any socks only trap the debris and restrict the pump suctions.

Clean you filter more or use disposable filters for your filter issue.

[every crack of a pleated filter with a queen-size pair of L'egs? (do they make them anymore?). Seems like a simple idea, so surely someone has the answer.

thanks!

Sorry to let you know but you are too late. I saw a package of Socks for the skimmer today at the store when I took my water in to be tested.. I almost bought them and probably will when I go back tomorrow. I'd be careful putting anything down there that could come loose and get sucked into the filter. The Place I deal with is called Rhiel Supply in Youngstown. I dont know if they have a website or not. HTH

• 12 years later...

Have a Sundance Constance and was fighting the chemical balance for a few years.  Finally,  I switched to Simplex Chemical system(centralJerseypools).  Have not had one issue since. No more balancing, only have to shock it after use and on weekend.   Can’t help with e filtration issue but you probs need to Stein it a few times a year due to this