Cover Lifters

divingfiji

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I've already made a decision on HotSpring -- just debating between Vanguard and Envoy. Aside from that, my question pertains to the cover lifters. Prior to spa searching, I didn't even know lifters existed. The lifter I tried at the dealer was very easy to use (move the cover). What I don't like about it is the cover stays attached to the tub and creates a vertical "wall" on one side. Plus, the particular lifter requires 24" clearance. I prefer not to have any views blocked. Do I really need a lifter? Will I be able to remove the cover by myself without one? 5'1 female. No super powers. Do the covers have "grab" handles to help hoist them back on to the tubs? I am going back to the dealer tonight and can ask them these questions, but I'd like to hear from the group here too. BTW - I really am comfortable with the dealer. They've not been pushy, have been in business 20+ years, and have a good reputation. Hope to select and have the tub in the next couple weeks! My aching body can't wait! :rolleyes: Thanks for any input!

You don't need a cover lift, they are for convenience. However, as the cover gets older, it will get heavier and be harder to lift onto the tub.

There are some low profile cover lifts available, and there are things like a cover shelf and a cover basket. Maybe one of those would work for you.

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/cover-shelf.htm

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/cover.htm

I have one of the lower-profile lifters. It attaches at the bottom of the tub and the cover stands only a little taller than it would if we just folded it and leaned it against the tub. I'm very happy with it. We used to haggle over who had to stand around in a cold wet suit to close the tub, now it's so easy it just doesn't matter. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but it turned out ot be worth it.

Shouldn't this thread be somewhere other than in the chemistry area though?

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I've already made a decision on HotSpring -- just debating between Vanguard and Envoy. Aside from that, my question pertains to the cover lifters. Prior to spa searching, I didn't even know lifters existed. The lifter I tried at the dealer was very easy to use (move the cover). What I don't like about it is the cover stays attached to the tub and creates a vertical "wall" on one side. Plus, the particular lifter requires 24" clearance. I prefer not to have any views blocked. Do I really need a lifter? Will I be able to remove the cover by myself without one? 5'1 female. No super powers. Do the covers have "grab" handles to help hoist them back on to the tubs? I am going back to the dealer tonight and can ask them these questions, but I'd like to hear from the group here too. BTW - I really am comfortable with the dealer. They've not been pushy, have been in business 20+ years, and have a good reputation. Hope to select and have the tub in the next couple weeks! My aching body can't wait! :rolleyes: Thanks for any input!

I would never go without one but I understand some people prefer the look of no lifter. You'll pay less for the lifter and installation if it’s done at the time of delivery so tell your dealer you are unsure if you want a lifter and want to try going without but want to know up front what he would charge a month from now if you want it added then versus the cost during delivery. Then try and see if you can live without it.

When we got our spa we had to go 2 weeks without one because I was waiting for a new style to come in that I had to try out. It sucked not having one and my wife (who often uses the spa alone) for sure would not go as often if she felt she had to deal with removing the cover and putting it back on alone. She would tell anyone they were crazy for skipping one and she’s 5’2” 120 lbs so I can’t see her lugging it off/on.

If you don't like the lifters you've seen due to it blocking a view look up the Covermate 2 (or Covermate II) in Google and see if that type works better for you.

Like you I didn't like the idea of having the cover in the way of the view, but I've also had the non luxury of not having one and would block my view anyday for the convenience. I'd recommend if you can't find one that meets your needs to get the one that is the easiest to use with the hot tub that you purchase. We installed the hot tub so the cover will block some of the wind that we get, and it can act as privacy if you need this as well.

Deanne

As mentioned there are low profile lifters such as the Covermate II, but a lifter is a must have accessory.

Good advice above...definitely go with a lifter...low profile...and get the Envoy!!!

Thanks for everyone's input on the cover lifters. Sounds like I just need to determine which pro/cons win based on what I'm looking for. I think I'm leaning towards a shelf. That way if I only want to uncover half of the spa at one time, it doesn't have to be the same side (one half would expose the lounge, the other half the seats).

Separately, I haven't a clue house this thread ended up in "chemistry". I don't even LIKE chemistry. :blink: It was my first post, and I must have been in the wrong "area" when submitting. :(

As mentioned there are low profile lifters such as the Covermate II, but a lifter is a must have accessory.

Good advice above...definitely go with a lifter...low profile...and get the Envoy!!!

Thanks for everyone's input on the cover lifters. Sounds like I just need to determine which pro/cons win based on what I'm looking for. I think I'm leaning towards a shelf. That way if I only want to uncover half of the spa at one time, it doesn't have to be the same side (one half would expose the lounge, the other half the seats).

Separately, I haven't a clue house this thread ended up in "chemistry". I don't even LIKE chemistry. :blink: It was my first post, and I must have been in the wrong "area" when submitting. :(

Oh, I did end up with the Envoy! It should be here in about 2-3 weeks. Just enough time to get the cement and electrical work scheduled and completed! Woo hoo. I can't wait! :)

I had the same dilemna and opted for the Spacap. Find it at spacap.com. I basically resembles a big comforter except you fill it with air and it acts as a thermal barrier. I've had it for a couple of weeks. What I like about it is it can flop off to the side. One person can maneuver it back on. Not heavy, about 25lbs total but is a bit bulky.

jd

Your asking the same questions I am trying to find answers about. try this site http://www.poolproducts.com/-i-SPL-IDE-SL2-FNM-93.htm. It's the one that has caught my attention for my wife who has great trouble lifting the cover by herself and, we don't want to block the view. The other problem I have is I only have about 15" of clearance between my deck railing and the tub. This seems to work, just don't know if it will fit on my Pilates XP2 tub.

I have one of the lower-profile lifters. It attaches at the bottom of the tub and the cover stands only a little taller than it would if we just folded it and leaned it against the tub. I'm very happy with it. We used to haggle over who had to stand around in a cold wet suit to close the tub, now it's so easy it just doesn't matter. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but it turned out ot be worth it.

Shouldn't this thread be somewhere other than in the chemistry area though?

Who's did you end up with. I too, do not want to block the view and want assist going off as well as on. This link is all that I have been able to find in a low profile on/off system.http://www.poolproducts.com/-i-SPL-IDE-SL2-FNM-93.htm

I had the same dilemna and opted for the Spacap. Find it at spacap.com. I basically resembles a big comforter except you fill it with air and it acts as a thermal barrier. I've had it for a couple of weeks. What I like about it is it can flop off to the side. One person can maneuver it back on. Not heavy, about 25lbs total but is a bit bulky.

jd

checked out their website. i wish i'd heard of them before i ordered my new cover which was delivered today. even if is more than my foam cover($235 compared to $395 - $100 discount mentioned on their website.) if it lasts at least twice as long and insulates that much better(they claim ten times better R-Factor Testing Results), it would be well worth it. i wonder if raccoons chew them?

bill keiser

checked out their website. i wish i'd heard of them before i ordered my new cover which was delivered today. . . .

one of their options is reflectix, that bubble wrap with foil coating on both sides. they use that for attic insulation. i can't tell, but that is probably installed inside the cover.

could you make panels of that stuff and float it in the water? they have floating bubble sheets for pools. the foil lined should be even better. maybe glue two layers of it with a layer of stiffer plastic sandwiched in to make it less flexible. make four small panels that float next to each other. that should drastically cut down evaporation, condensation, heat loss, chemical effects on the cover itself.

bill keiser

jd

checked out their website. i wish i'd heard of them before i ordered my new cover which was delivered today. even if is more than my foam cover($235 compared to $395 - $100 discount mentioned on their website.) if it lasts at least twice as long and insulates that much better(they claim ten times better R-Factor Testing Results), it would be well worth it. i wonder if raccoons chew them?

bill keiser

As far as racoons, the material is Sunbrella which is widely used on patio furniture cushions if that helps. I just didn't have an option unless I was willing to obstruct my view which is a major atraction to putting the spa there.

jd

bill keiser

You might want to call H.F.Poppendiek of Geoscience LTD. Last I talk to them, they never heard of the company that quotes them :-)