Is Salt Water Safe With Vinyl Liners

MsWeezie

I'll readily admit to being easily confused while reseearching whether salt water is safe with vinyl liners. It seems that salt water can be used in any pool, but when I found a pool (Vogue Oceania ) that is specifically designed to be used with a salt chlorine generator, it makes me think that salt water should not be used with any or all AGP.

So my question is: Is salt water ok to use with any AGP with a vinyl liner or do I need to purchase a pool that is designed to be used with a salt chlorine generator?

PS - Vogue Oceania can be found at http://www.northwestwholesale.com/Salt-Above-Ground.asp.

On an A/G pool a salt water generator should only be used a resin pool or a PVC vinyl pool. The reason is most traditional pools are only powder coated metal and the salt will corrode the metal parts and shorten the life of the wall since the liner is only 20 mils. The oceana from vogue has resin components which wont corrode and there is a better coating on the wall. It is a quality pool.

On an A/G pool a salt water generator should only be used a resin pool or a PVC vinyl pool. The reason is most traditional pools are only powder coated metal and the salt will corrode the metal parts and shorten the life of the wall since the liner is only 20 mils. The oceana from vogue has resin components which wont corrode and there is a better coating on the wall. It is a quality pool.

Thank you very much for explaining this clearly for me. I'll have to give the Oceania more seriou sconsideration based on your opinion that it is a quality pool. I have my heart set on salt to chlorine sanitation but also need something that will hold up to large dogs in the pool.

If your going to have dogs enter the pool you will not want a vinyl pool with a steel wall. Go with a PVC vinyl pool like the Vogue/Zodiac Dynasty pool or the Vogue Zodiac Royal. Any pool made by Splash super pools and I beleive doughboy makes a model as well. On these pools you will have no problems using a saltwater generator. The reason I wouldnt recommend a linered pool is sometimes dogs lose directions in a pool and try to get out where there is no stairs and they end up scratching holes in your liner. With a PVC vinyl pool that wont happen.

• 2 months later...

Salt water will not damage a vinyl liner, but salt water is more corrosive than fresh water. It could cause a steel sided pool to rust more than fresh water would. Now that salt chlorinators are becoming more popular, most quality pools will have better coatings on them to prevent this, but something resin or PVC based would be impervious to rust. The vogue line of pools are very high quality.

• 3 months later...